The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 AM   #1
8lugnutz

Rough running truck - carburetor flooding

Was on my way home tonight and the truck started running very rough like it was not getting enough fuel, then died. Fuel filter was pretty empty, so thought it might be the fuel pump, but after cranking it filled back up. Had to give it full throttle to even get it to start, and then it would start enough to run for a bit, then would die. Truck will not idle at all. Fuel filter is pretty new (clear filter that doesn't appear to have any gunk in it at all). Thought it might be a collapsed sock in the fuel tank (my selector valve is inop), so I switched gas lines on the valve, same result. The carb has fuel everywhere and spurts and spills over onto the manifold. It's a new edlebrock carb (per the PO) and I haven't had any issues with it since I got the truck in July.

Any ideas on what the problem might be? Since the fuel filter is showing fuel flowing, I don't think it's the fuel pump. Maybe debris causing a stuck float or ??

Appreciate any ideas here because I am at a loss. Had to leave the truck in a parking lot 80 miles from home :-(

My wife told me I spent too much time on Facebook. So I bought an old truck. Now she wishes I was on Facebook, it was cheaper.
8lugnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #2
8lugnutz

Re: Rough running truck - carburetor flooding

Forgot to mention the model, I think it's an edlebrock 1408.

My wife told me I spent too much time on Facebook. So I bought an old truck. Now she wishes I was on Facebook, it was cheaper.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #3
splehigh

I'm no expert, but it sounds like a needle and seat problem. If they are not sealing right it will allow too much fuel to enter the carb.

Take a look at this: http://www.geocities.ws/smokie1955/carbrebuild.html

Just my guess. Anyone else have any ideas?
splehigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #4
clapage6

yeah you're dead on with the floats. Had the exact same story on mine only with a Holley. and/or fuel pressure is high for some reason is possible. Sounds more likely your float is sticking open or there is some debris on your needle/seat like I had. or might just need a little adjustment. (idk what floats are in there but if for some reason there is even a pinhole in either of them it can fill with gas and of course not float :-p and will casue you to flood like that as well. Sounds like the carb is new so that may not be a problem.

I would pull them out and clean/inspect them then put em' back in and adjust accordingly. (not sure of the adjusting process on an edelbrock)
clapage6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
8lugnutz

Thanks for the responses guys. I picked up a edlebrock rebuild kit (~$45) and at a friends house tearing into it. I'll let you all know what I find. Oh, and it's a 1406 carb, not a 1408 as I stated earlier. What can I say, it was dark :-)

Old 10-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
splehigh

Cool. Good luck with it.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #7
8lugnutz

Carb rebuild worked!!

Old 10-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
8lugnutz

Now that I'm back home, here are some pictures of what was inside the carb.

Was rebuilding at this point.

Old 10-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
splehigh

Glad you got it running. Looks like rust in the carb. You should put a fuel filter on if there isnt one already.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
sdewolfe

Howdy,

That fine rust comes from the gas tank. The carb will clog up again and again until the source of the rust is eliminated. I checked online; tanks run just over $100 with shipping from several sources. At that price it is hardly worth the effort to etch, prep, and seal an old tank.

--edit

I should have read your build posts first; dual tanks. That might cost a little more to replace. :-(

Regards,

Last edited by sdewolfe; 10-28-2013 at 06:23 AM. Reason: correction
sdewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:09 PM   #11
clapage6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdewolfe View Post
Howdy,

That fine rust comes from the gas tank. The carb will clog up again and again until the source of the rust is eliminated. I checked online; tanks run just over $100 with shipping from several sources. At that price it is hardly worth the effort to etch, prep, and seal an old tank.

--edit

I should have read your build posts first; dual tanks. That might cost a little more to replace. :-(

Regards,
i took advantage of a couple autozone deals and ordered a spectre replacement tank online (20gal.) for my dually. I also had rust in one of the tanks. $75 and free shipping. good fitment, just needed a tiny bit of finness to get my straps one as I re-used mine. I had the exact same problems you were having with my carb.
clapage6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
8lugnutz

Thanks guys. Yes, I have dual tanks and knew they were probably rusty. I just got them working for the first time after the carb rebuild. I put a new Wix filter up near the carb and plan on putting another inline somewhere for each tank before the valve if I can. The previous valve still worked, but it was a bit sticky, I'm sure there was rust in there too.

Waiting for Christmas so I can print out my "wishlist" on Brothers and a couple of others, so I hope I have some big metal gifts under the tree this year