The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
Davis53

A Story and lesson

Betty and I have been together for 7 years. She has been patient waiting in the garage for me to put new life in her. She has waited through the everyday common things in life, money setbacks and the kids going into college. Well after waiting and waiting she finally received a new drive train. I replaced all of it. Now I am 48 years old and I have done several hotrods but I have never done this to one. Betty and I are coming home as usual [she is a daily driver] and I turn to come home and the steering goes stiff and smoke pours from under the hood. I shut her off and open the hood and it looks like a murder scene, red juice everywhere. The cussing starts and continues while I look baffled and begin to curse the power steering pump Gods. I push her up the drive way and into the garage leaving a trail of death juice everywhere, I cuss more and grab the cleaning supplies, yes I am very anal and hate oil stains with a passion. So after scrubbing the mess I begin to search for the culprit. Now, I have done a lot of dumb **** [my wife will concur] but this is dumb. Well you know that long high pressure hose coming off the back side of your power steering pump? Make sure the rubber part is not resting against the exhaust manifold or she will blow like a 14 year old looking at a playboy and leave one hell of a mess. No matter how many times you have done something check it once and check it twice. Still learning at 48! Hope you learn from this I have a hell of a mess to clean!http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1382619918
Attached Images

Davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: A Story and lesson

At least nothing died during this episode.
Too bad about the clean-up but if you don't make mistakes,you're not doing anything.
Good luck with getting it back right.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Keith Seymore

Happens to the best of us (even the "big 3") -

I was working on my daughter's car, who's nameplate shall remain nameless. It had sprung a coolant leak; the radiator surge tank hose was supposed to be clipped in a safe location but had come loose and got over into the power steering pump pulley. As you can imagine it didn't take long for the edge of that pulley to cut through the hose.

A new generic hose (and a more robust routing) and she was back on the road again.

Let's be careful out there....

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
elf w/capital T

Haha, yuup, things happen, glad nothing got super damaged, nobody got hurt as well!!!
elf w/capital T is offline   Reply With Quote