The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
crhyno

Manifold questions from a newbie

Hi
I recently acquired a 1962 c10 and was thinking about an engine cleanup. I have a 235 CID 6 cyl (at least that is what I think it is) that supposedly has 61,000 original miles on it. It has a 3 speed on the column and starts, stops and runs great. My feeling is that I should just leave it alone, but I know that I will be facing a long winter with just it and me in the garage and wrench happiness will set in. The only rusty part under the hood that concerns me is the manifold. Everything else looks good and can be given a bath / dip / sanding or whatever else is needed. I have been reading the threads and have heard horror stories of broken bolts, sand basting that has destroyed parts, endless misery etc. so I am looking for advice. Should I :

A: Leave it alone
B: Have a professional deal with it
C: Tackle "cleaning" it myself
D: Buy a replacement part in great condition

I feel confident with most repair work that does not involve welding, and have no problem paying for someone to do something correctly if I shy away.
Any and all advice / hints / warnings / threats / concerns will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

crhyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Dillon Rock

Re: Manifold questions from a newbie

Well, first and foremost, welcome to the forum where you'll find all the advice you need for this gem. Most of the guys I have read from on here have a wide knowledge of these trucks and no questions you have will go unanswered. Judging by the exhaust manifold that's pretty light rust on it, and it doesn't look too bad, just pitting on some spots here and there, but still has original finish to it. Also, another thing is that the engine is very clean under the hood, so I'm guessing that someone re-did the engine or took care of it for 50+ years which is impressive. I had to remove the manifolds on my 64 C-20 and it wasn't much of a hassle but be careful when taking the mating bolts off that connect the intake and exhaust manifolds, they tend to strip out after years of heat stress and such. I would say leave it as is for the fact that the entire engine looks in healthy shape. Exhaust (and intake manifolds from time to time) will rust due to the intense heat given off from an engine so really it's hard to keep em nice unless you go out, sand blast it or re-finish it to no pitting is seen, powder coat it and re-install it. Be carefull of different brands of high temp paint (in rattle cans, did this with tractors before and it wasn't long before it flaked off) but find out from the other fella's on here and you will get a majority of answers.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
rideblue00

Welcome and Dillon has good advise there. One thing i will add: maybe have both the manifolds powder coated with a high temp cast iron color. I did for my v-8 rams horns. It was pricy but it will last a long time. They might stand out kinda bright for awhile, but they will fit in eventually. Post up more pics of the trucks too!
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
TJ's Chevy

I agree with Dillon, But I will say those should be 1/2 inch or 9/16 bolts. Soak them in WD-40 for a day and use a shorter wrench...you less likely to strip a bolt with a shorter wrench because you have to pull harder which makes you pull slower...I pulled mine off with no issue and I never soaked mine or anything. I personally would say go for it, because the chances of stripping them are rare IF you are careful and when I say that I mean if if when you slowly pull on the wrench to loosen the bolts and you notice it isn't moving then right away you'll see they are gonna strip. If you are not easy on using a wrench you can use vice grips and you should have no issue. Rachet wrench is good also. If you would like me to take a video on taking them off I will. I say paint it VHT'S Cast Iron Manifold paint. That would look sharp, and while you have everything off you might purchase a set of fenton headers!! HAHAHA!!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
1966burb

I have always used a product called STOVE BRIGHT #6201 Charcoal. Great coverage and lasts. I used to own a NAPA store and have sold and tried all the high heat paints on the market. Found this years ago and still use it. Bead blast the manifold and paint. I buy it at most any store that sells wood stoves.
Attached Images

1966burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Green Hornet

Almost say the risk isn't worth the reward. Would be nice to have it all clean looking but if it goes bad your looking at pulling a broken bolt from the head. that could get very involved. I guess it depends on your confidence level on just how good of a wrench you are and how good you feel about doing the task. I really don't think it looks bad the way it is, these are trucks and are suppose to look like they are being used.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
AcampoDave

Why not paint it while it's still on the motor? A little cleaning and creative masking with plastic bags works well.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 10-27-2013 at 01:49 AM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #8
Dillon Rock

Agreed with y'all, that seems like the best way to go with doin your manifold crhyno.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
crhyno

Thanks for all of the replies and PM's. I have a lot to think about now, and I am not sure which direction I will take. Went for a ride today and found a few issues that will need to be dealt with before the manifold (brakes and lights), but I will let you all know what I end up doing.
crhyno is offline   Reply With Quote