The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
KrazyRay

86 smog nightmare

Has anyone seen a truck with 2 smog pumps, funny looking manifolds, and tubes going everywhere? I just brought this one home and it runs great!
Attached Images

KrazyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
BONUSCAB

Re: 86 smog nightmare

That looks like a smogged out 427 from an RV. Carbed? We have a carbed 427 in a 1990 RV (motorhome) chassis at work that I can get pics of Monday to compare.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
draimondi

Is this a California truck? I had a ton of CA emissions garbage on my 79.
draimondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:11 AM   #4
KrazyRay

I think this is a CA truck. The PO says that it passes smog even though there is dual exhaust and no cats. This one has the electric feedback carb. It also comes equipped with $1000 in DMV penalties!
Old 10-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #5
draimondi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyRay View Post
I think this is a CA truck. The PO says that it passes smog even though there is dual exhaust and no cats. This one has the electric feedback carb. It also comes equipped with $1000 in DMV penalties!
I'm up in Oregon and in my area we don't need to DEQ any of our vehicles. I removed all the factory CA smog equipment.
draimondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:10 AM   #6
jlk

I had an '85 K20 a couple years ago with the twin AIR pumps and the stainless exhaust manifolds. Couldn't keep the manifolds from leaking. Took it ALL off, put the heavy duty stock cast iron manifolds on it with fresh 2 1/4" duals. Ran much better.
jlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
KrazyRay

Here in CA ita a heinous crime to pull smog equipment from a vehicle. I wish I could pull all of it off and run an early HEI and carb. This one may make it up to Oregon to save it from being cut up.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
ofnaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyRay View Post

You better hope the smog station doesn't notice the missing cat's. I am not sure exactly how they inspect in CA, but it definately wouldn't make the cut for NV smogs with missing cats, unless the inspector did not notice them gone. A lot of CA sellers end up selling their cars with dmv fines to us in NV to avoid having to pay the fine. I alway's wondered what would happen if a seller in CA sold a vehicle to a buyer in NV, had it titled in NV and then bought it back. Would the fine still have to be paid if the originall seller brings it back to CA? On another note, I'm a smog inspector in NV (don't read too much into it guy's, most technicians in NV are), and I've seen all kinds of funky smog setups in CA emmisions vehicles. You should check out some AMC powered jeeps with CA emmisions if you want a real laugh. Heck, I got my 2000 Deville from a guy in CA and it has 2 smog pumps and a ton of hose's on it, what a nightmare!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 AM   #9
rs74

Those smog tubes coming out of the exhaust manifold are alot bigger than on my 84 K30. It is a 454/AC truck. This doesn't help you in any way but they are bigger than mine.
Attached Images

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #10
manimal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofnaman View Post
I alway's wondered what would happen if a seller in CA sold a vehicle to a buyer in NV, had it titled in NV and then bought it back. Would the fine still have to be paid if the originall seller brings it back to CA?
No, once it's registered outside of Cali, the DMV cannot charge you with past due fees any longer. I know for Illinois all they need is a title, they dont smog in most areas, and do not need to see the vehicle. I am sending my '79 F350 title there,using my sisters address and registering it there...but I will also be moving there in June.
1999 Suburban K2500, 7.4, 4L80e
1980 Camaro..son's car...PROJECT
manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
ofnaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal View Post
No, once it's registered outside of Cali, the DMV cannot charge you with past due fees any longer. I know for Illinois all they need is a title, they dont smog in most areas, and do not need to see the vehicle. I am sending my '79 F350 title there,using my sisters address and registering it there...but I will also be moving there in June.

Here in NV the dmv has to see the vehicle to inspect the vin on the vehicle if it's been registered out of NV. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. We are also planning on moving to IL around late summer.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 AM   #12
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofnaman View Post
Here in NV the dmv has to see the vehicle to inspect the vin on the vehicle if it's been registered out of NV. Other than that it's pretty straight forward. We are also planning on moving to IL around late summer.
The company that I do part time maintenance for has a plant out in Reno. What parts of Illinois are you moving to. Sorry for the highjack.

I am glad we don't have to have inspections and such. The only thing they can get you for here is if you buy a vehicle and date the title and not tranfer it over for a while. They will back date to when you dated the title and charge you a penalty for it.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
bigd65

By the looks of those FACTORY HEADERS from a 1 Ton, I had bought those and put them on my 350 in my 85.... I have never seen them on the original vehicle, they were given to me... But I was told they came off of a 1 ton and knew nothing of have two AIR PUMPS
Old 10-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
BONUSCAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd65 View Post
By the looks of those FACTORY HEADERS from a 1 Ton, I had bought those and put them on my 350 in my 85.... I have never seen them on the original vehicle, they were given to me... But I was told they came off of a 1 ton and knew nothing of have two AIR PUMPS

I've never seen a Chevy pick up with factory tubular manifolds (headers.) My one ton has manifolds on it. If I had to bet, I'd bet that motor isn't original to that truck. It could be OEM, but I'd put money that it isn't.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #15
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

Federal emmision package id bet.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
4x4toy

It is the heavy duty emissions package. My 85 c20 has the same except for the feedback carb. Factory with out catalytic converters, should have no fuel filler restricter either and is leaded fuel compatable. Engine VIN should be an "M".
05 GMC Sierra 2500hd Duramax
4x4toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
bigd65

Quote:
Originally Posted by BONUSCAB View Post
I've never seen a Chevy pick up with factory tubular manifolds (headers.) My one ton has manifolds on it. If I had to bet, I'd bet that motor isn't original to that truck. It could be OEM, but I'd put money that it isn't.
I didn't say all the one tons had them, thank you 4x4 for clearNG it up, wasn't sure what they came off of... Knew they were from a one ton
Old 10-28-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
chengny

As above - heavy duty federal emissions package - probably a YJM code. Over 8600 GVW.

Came with dual 2 1/2" stainless exhaust, no cats, manifolds were also shaped/welded stainless tubing. No electronic fuel control.

The air pumps and hoses form the A.I.R. (air injection reactor) system. Other than the evaporative emmisions the AIR system was the only concession to the EPA. It works kind of like an after burner. Schematic for the LH side:

The air injection system delivers filtered fresh air into the engine exhaust stream just after exhaust gasses leave the combustion chamber, Fig. 1. Exhaust gasses react with oxygen in the air, continuing the combustion process and reducing HC and CO emission levels. Air flow within the system is controlled by manifold vacuum operated valves. AIR is used on engines that are not equipped with electronic fuel control systems.

I'm surprised that some are unfamiliar with this particular set up. I think most 3/4 & 1 ton trucks (with a 350 motor) that were built in 85-86 used the AIR system. At least it seems that way in the northeast.

Last edited by chengny; 10-28-2013 at 11:40 PM.
chengny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #19
KrazyRay

You guys all have good info on this. I better double check the carb on the electric feedback. The filler necks do not have the restrictors. I will also see if I can find the YJM code.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #20
Zane M

Quote:
Originally Posted by chengny View Post
As above - heavy duty federal emissions package - probably a YJM code. Over 8600 GVW.

Came with dual 2 1/2" stainless exhaust, no cats, manifolds were also shaped/welded stainless tubing. No electronic fuel control.

The air pumps and hoses form the A.I.R. (air injection reactor) system. Other than the evaporative emmisions the AIR system was the only concession to the EPA. It works kind of like an after burner. Schematic for the LH side:

The air injection system delivers filtered fresh air into the engine exhaust stream just after exhaust gasses leave the combustion chamber, Fig. 1. Exhaust gasses react with oxygen in the air, continuing the combustion process and reducing HC and CO emission levels. Air flow within the system is controlled by manifold vacuum operated valves. AIR is used on engines that are not equipped with electronic fuel control systems.

I'm surprised that some are unfamiliar with this particular set up. I think most 3/4 & 1 ton trucks (with a 350 motor) that were built in 85-86 used the AIR system. At least it seems that way in the northeast.
Some are unfamiliar with this set up because there are still states that don't require emissions testing(or at a minimum a visual inspection that all the parts are present. After 25+ years, a lot of this stuff has been tossed if it wasn't "needed".
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:21 PM   #21
Jimbo*

I recently acquired an '86 suburban with all this stuff. 8600 GVW, 5.7, TH400
Came out of Kentucky, looks untouched.
I have had several '86 model trucks, both 5.7 and 7.4, and this is the first time I have run into it.
Jimbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #22
D13

2 ton trucks have factory headers on the big blocks (like my 87 C-65 with a 366). This must be a 1 ton HD package.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #23
KQQL IT
At the body shop.

We had an 86 1ton 454 4 speed.
Two smog pumps and similar headers.
And no catalyst
Was a federal emission package.
And a regular carb.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #24
donut

Current '86 C-30 had 2 smog pumps, stainless manifolds, dual exhaust (no cats), leaded fuel legal. The exhaust pipe wasn't stainless, but had like a stainless(?) shielding around it, so it was essentially double walled.

Like KQQL IT's, except with the turbo 400.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote