The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2013, 12:01 AM   #1
NavyChief

Stepside bed mounting points

Okay so I am replacing my wood in my long bed step side. I have removed the wood and I have a problem. I removed all the cross strips except the first one. It seems that the right side is attached solid to the frame but I can pick up the left side off of the frame. Does anyone have a pic or instructions on how the cross members attached the frame? The forward cross member does not seem to match up to holes so I ma not sure how the right side is attached. I plan on crawling under in the morning and going over with a fine tooth comb but thought I would ask the question tonight to see the it turns up.*
NavyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
Fitz
Account Suspended

Re: Stepside bed mounting points

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
Okay so I am replacing my wood in my long bed step side. I have removed the wood and I have a problem. I removed all the cross strips except the first one. It seems that the right side is attached solid to the frame but I can pick up the left side off of the frame. Does anyone have a pic or instructions on how the cross members attached the frame? The forward cross member does not seem to match up to holes so I ma not sure how the right side is attached. I plan on crawling under in the morning and going over with a fine tooth comb but thought I would ask the question tonight to see the it turns up.*
The factory Assembly Manual for these trucks is available from almost every vendor selling parts for 67-73 trucks. The beds for short & long fleet and step all attach the same way through the two forward cross sills and the two rear cross sills as shown in the two pages from the manual below.

Most of us here are glad to help you out but we won't do your research for you. That's your job. We have our own trucks to work on.

So, RTFM,Chief, read the factory manual!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
hugger6933

Just follow along the frame, there are four bolt to the side. If the center cross members are gone you are being held by the attaching points at the very front or the very back. I wish you luck on your project. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
NavyChief

Thanks. After looking at it this morning I realized that the bolts are missing. Guess I get to expand my project today from not only finishing my rear end tank!
NavyChief is offline   Reply With Quote