The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
sambudo

1968 C10 build I-6 4spd

Well I picked this 1968 C10 up on 10.13.13. I really liked it, as it seemed all original except the rear bumper. I feel I p/u for a decent price. My intensions at first was use it occasionally to haul yard debris to the dump. But now, I'd like it to look good and run and drive well w/o dropping in loads of cash.

So far I have changed all the bulbs and got all the lights functioning correctly. Replaced starter.

After cleaning the engine of oil and grime, changing the oil/filter. I notice it has a nice oil drip. Looks like it might need valve gasket, oil pan and looking at it closer main seal. So now the question is do i pull the engine and when it's out do i rebuild it, or just replace the seals and put it back in.

I plan on dong the wheel bearings in the front, checking out the brakes etc..

I'd like to clean up then drain and replace transmission fluid, Plus the same for the front and rear diffs clean up, inspect, replace gaskets and fluid.

Really not sure were to begin?? any comments??

more pictures later.

Upgrades: Power Steering
.......................____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
sambudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
slomotion
Old Duffer

Re: 1968 C10 build I-6 4spd

I think I'd take a compression test first, then hook up a vacuum gauge and see what your idle vacuum readings are.
If those two parameters are good I would just change out the old gaskets and run it. If it "goes south" after that all you've bought is a gasket set.
If you're serious about cleaning and painting, lifting the engine out is the best way to go. It's a nuisance perhaps, but makes things so much easier to access. Makes it a lot easier to change the gaskets too.

We're looking forward to the photo's!

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
hugger6933

Compression test most def most likely you need a tune up and some fresh seals. If your wanting to detail the engine compartment then pulling the engine is the only way to do it properly. If indeed the truck is running good why rebuild it? When all you really need to do is keep the oil inside the motor. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
sambudo

Name:  1968 Chevy.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  35.6 KB
Thanks for the info, this makes since what should the compression and vacuum readings be?

Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
slomotion
Old Duffer

Nice old truck!
Your vacuum should be around 16"Hg, but don't be discouraged if it's a little lower. Depending on the miles on the engine, it could be lower and still run fine. The main thing is that the reading is steady.
Your compression in a brand new engine would be 130 psi. on a stock engine "at cranking speed, throttle wide open - maximum variation 20 lbs. between cylinders." Again, that's on a new engine. If the numbers are a little lower I wouldn't be too concerned.
These old 6's are tough, and if everything is relatively even across all of the cylinders (vacuum and compression) I'd just run it.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #6
sambudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
Nice old truck!
Your vacuum should be around 16"Hg, but don't be discouraged if it's a little lower. Depending on the miles on the engine, it could be lower and still run fine. The main thing is that the reading is steady.
Your compression in a brand new engine would be 130 psi. on a stock engine "at cranking speed, throttle wide open - maximum variation 20 lbs. between cylinders." Again, that's on a new engine. If the numbers are a little lower I wouldn't be too concerned.
These old 6's are tough, and if everything is relatively even across all of the cylinders (vacuum and compression) I'd just run it.
Thanks slomotion I look forward to taking these readings. Stay tuned.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
sambudo

I had the opportunity to sand blast my bed this past weekend! It was not a high priority but I took it. Now the decision to paint it, the original color, or different color. Attachment 1168608 Before, sand blasted and epoxy primed. The wife wants me to paint it gray, I want to keep it original light yellow. What do you all think? same or different! I decided not to go the bed liner route.
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
sambudo

Name:  bed3.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  48.2 KB before pic

Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #9
Cordless57

Yellow. Definitely. Keep that lovely old girl stock.
Cordless57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
slomotion
Old Duffer

With it coming out that good, and being that pristine, I'd leave it stock too. I'd also have a mat, or piece of plywood with carpet strips on the back to protect it when hauling stuff.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

Old 10-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Avitech

Nice ride! Keep it original looking since it still looks so nice.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:07 AM   #12
sambudo

thank you all I've decided to keep it the same color.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #13
sambudo

Can any one tell me what these are? Are they after market used for hauling ? Im curious how the work and if i Name:  whats this.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  23.9 KB keep them or get rid of them.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #14
sambudo

I finished painting the inside of the bed. Not 100% sold on the finished product. I guess time will tell.Name:  20131103_195737.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  20.9 KB

Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
slomotion
Old Duffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambudo View Post
Can any one tell me what these are? Are they after market used for hauling ? Im curious how the work and if i Attachment 1170685 keep them or get rid of them.
Can you take another photo from a little farther away? May be able to figure it out, but don't have any idea at the moment.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

Old 11-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #16
sambudo

Name:  PICT0001.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  25.2 KB
Quote:
Can you take another photo from a little farther away? May be able to figure it out, but don't have any idea at the moment.
This is a little better picture.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
sambudo

Name:  PICT0008.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  26.2 KB shot from the bottom.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
sambudo

Name:  PICT0012.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  23.2 KB shows the leaf spring going into the box. I think this is a type of after market load damper???? What do you think it is. And does any body know how it works?

Old 11-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #19
slomotion
Old Duffer

I wasn't able to find anything specific on that, but here's my guess: With the bed of your truck not being beat up and dented, I suspect someone used the truck for a slide-in camper rather than misc. loads. I'm thinking if you pulled that clevis pin, pulled the lever out and turned it one revolution, re-engaged the pin, then put the clevis back you will have raised, or at least increased the capacity of the overload springs. I noticed there's one on each side.
You would raise the body to accommodate the camper shell, then when the camper was out of the box you could lower the truck back to a reasonable level.
Like I said, just a "swag", but before I took them off, I'd be tempted to load them up with WD40, Blaster, or whatever you like and see if you could get them working again. That's a pretty novel thing to have on a truck. If nothing else, they won't hurt anything just riding along....

'81 G10 Shorty Van

Old 11-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #20
alsriv2

Location: Formerly MD and San Diego, now loving life in Arizona

Very nice truck. I really like the unusual yellow color and the fact it is a '68.

Good job on the color selection for the bed. Maybe you could look up the spray in Rino liner type bedliner in the original color to enhance its look. (Just a thought).

2012 Ram 3500 Dually Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins
2014 Palomino Columbus 340RK 5th wheel
'69 Chevy C10 396BB
alsriv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:33 AM   #21
sambudo

Quote:
Nice old truck!
I still have not compression tested my engine, can you tell me what is the best way to go about doing this? I have never done either. I do have an idea how to do it. But not 100% positive. I know I need to take out all plug wires and label them, remove coil wire also and plugs?

can I test by myself, or do I need some one to crank the engine? How long do I crank it for before I can take the reading.

I will try to do it tomorrow night. I always seem too tired to do anything when I get home from work. I really need to change my routine. Thanks slomotion

Old 01-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #22
slomotion
Old Duffer

I will describe it in words, but seeing it might mean more to you, go on to YouTube, and in the search box type in "How to do a compression test on an engine". There will be pages of tests show up, just scroll down and watch three or four that are done on older engines. What you'll see is;
In a nut shell, warm your engine up, this isn't absolutely necessary, but will give you a more accurate reading. Mark your spark plug wires at both ends - distributor and plug. Pull all of your plugs out and look carefully at the ends. Keep them in order on the bench, or holes in an old box. Don't clean them yet. Pull the coil wire out of the dist. and ground the wire to the engine. (I've used a clothes pin to the coil bracket.) I like to use a compression tester that threads into the spark plug hole. Seat it lightly but snug, and roll the engine over by the key switch if you don't have a remote starter handy. You'll hear the engine come up on compression. I usually count five compression strokes then stop. (The number isn't critical so long as they are all the same.) Any less than three you won't get a good reading, any more than five or six won't bring the compression any higher. As soon as you get the fifth "bump" stop cranking and check your gauge. Write that number down by the spark plug that came out of that cylinder. Release the pressure from the gauge by the button on the side, and move on to # 2 cylinder. Continue on with the same procedure for all six cylinders being careful to get the same compression "bumps" from each cylinder. Once you have the numbers, and the plugs that correspond to the numbers, you have a real good indication of what's going on inside the cylinder. If you can, when you get done with the test post up a photo of the plugs and compression numbers, and we'll go from there.

'81 G10 Shorty Van

Old 01-30-2014, 01:20 AM   #23
sambudo

Quote:
I will describe it in words, but seeing it might mean more to you, go on to YouTube, and in the search box type in "How to do a compression test on an engine". There will be pages of tests show up, just scroll down and watch three or four that are done on older engines. What you'll see is;
In a nut shell, warm your engine up, this isn't absolutely necessary, but will give you a more accurate reading. Mark your spark plug wires at both ends - distributor and plug. Pull all of your plugs out and look carefully at the ends. Keep them in order on the bench, or holes in an old box. Don't clean them yet. Pull the coil wire out of the dist. and ground the wire to the engine. (I've used a clothes pin to the coil bracket.) I like to use a compression tester that threads into the spark plug hole. Seat it lightly but snug, and roll the engine over by the key switch if you don't have a remote starter handy. You'll hear the engine come up on compression. I usually count five compression strokes then stop. (The number isn't critical so long as they are all the same.) Any less than three you won't get a good reading, any more than five or six won't bring the compression any higher. As soon as you get the fifth "bump" stop cranking and check your gauge. Write that number down by the spark plug that came out of that cylinder. Release the pressure from the gauge by the button on the side, and move on to # 2 cylinder. Continue on with the same procedure for all six cylinders being careful to get the same compression "bumps" from each cylinder. Once you have the numbers, and the plugs that correspond to the numbers, you have a real good indication of what's going on inside the cylinder. If you can, when you get done with the test post up a photo of the plugs and compression numbers, and we'll go from there.
Looks like I might have trouble, I will check again asap. I failed to warm up the engine first. 4 cylinders had 150, and 2 had 105. I want to double check again at a later date, not sure i got accurate readings or not[ATTACH]1208140[ATTACH] this shows all plugsAttachment 1208141 1-3[/ATTACH]Name:  ??-14.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  36.1 KB4-6. I'm really not sure if i did the test accurately.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #24
sambudo

Name:  ??-13.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  33.5 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambudo View Post
looks like i might have trouble, i will check again asap. I failed to warm up the engine first. 4 cylinders had 150, and 2 had 105. I want to double check again at a later date, not sure i got accurate readings or not[attach]1208140[attach] this shows all plugsAttachment 1208141 1-3[/attach]Attachment 12081424-6. I'm really not sure if i did the test accurately.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #25
sambudo

Name:  ??-15.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  35.5 KB