The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Jahloha

Beginning Restoration (Engine, Trans, Additional...)

Hey Team:

I am beginning my prep work for my restoration and although mechanically astute, I have never implemented these skills in an engine and transmission. I plan on this truck becoming my daily driver, mostly highway or driving 8 miles down a two lane road.

I do the occasional tow with my trailer (3-5K lbs) and do not have a lead foot, but care about the ability to merge onto a freeway quick if needs be.

I have been reading a ton of posts and articles on which engine/trans combo to go with and have narrowed it to a GMPP 350/290HP with the 700R4. Not sure of gear ratio yet...

Not sure if it matters regarding what trans to put in, but I am a larger guy, over 6'4'' and 300 lbs, so I am also considering putting in some HD coils to raise the truck just a little bit and maybe taller then normal tires.

While I have the engine and trans pulled out, what are some other things I should consider doing? I have read about fuel injection, I do care about MPG, should this be a must install?

I have done a ton of reading prior to posting this, so please be understanding to my newness...
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Re: Beginning Restoration (Engine, Trans, Additional...)

Brakes... go through the entire brake system. Havin' all the go, will be no fun without the whoa...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
Brakes... go through the entire brake system. Havin' all the go, will be no fun without the whoa...

Gary
Gary:

Haha great way to phrase it. I have been doing quite a bit of reading on the disc brake conversion. Still no where near the comfort I should be at to accomplish this, at least I think, but also feel it should be done in sync with the engine/trans. Correct?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Jahloha

Seeing as I want to try and do the swap myself, the crate engines seem like a great option.

BUT

I also continually read on newer vortec engines being tossed in with ecu that work with our older trucks. This is a foreign concept to me, but hear of the great mpg increase with such a swap and that is attractive to me. Should I also consider something like this?

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
allons

I'm in the final stages of re-assembly from a frame off resto. Also, my build is for a daily driver so, my thoughts were to make the truck 'bullet proof' because a DD has to be reliable. I've gone with the GMPP 350 RamJet, which is fuel injected. I like to shift, so I've got a 4 speed trans, and a 3:42 posi rear. 4 wheel discs with PS and PB. All lighting is LED. My thoughts when I started were to rebuild everything as though the truck had to last 20 years.
allons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
allons

I forgot to add, if I could figure out how to post pics, I would!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by allons View Post
I'm in the final stages of re-assembly from a frame off resto. Also, my build is for a daily driver so, my thoughts were to make the truck 'bullet proof' because a DD has to be reliable. I've gone with the GMPP 350 RamJet, which is fuel injected. I like to shift, so I've got a 4 speed trans, and a 3:42 posi rear. 4 wheel discs with PS and PB. All lighting is LED. My thoughts when I started were to rebuild everything as though the truck had to last 20 years.
Do you have a build thread? And I am with you regarding the concept of building it to last 20 years because hell, I want to be driving this thing when it turns 100! Haha

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
allons

I tried a couple of times to start a re-build record, but for whatever reason I can't figure out how to post pics. A few months ago I dropped a note to one of the mods, but never heard anything back. Anyway, I also did a rendering of what I wanted to build, I did a build 'spec', and I followed this site like it was the bible. Some of the members are very knowledgeable and will help with about anything. PM me with your email address and I'll send some pics. Jim
Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
zicc1835

Quote:
I tried a couple of times to start a re-build record, but for whatever reason I can't figure out how to post pics. A few months ago I dropped a note to one of the mods, but never heard anything back. Anyway, I also did a rendering of what I wanted to build, I did a build 'spec', and I followed this site like it was the bible. Some of the members are very knowledgeable and will help with about anything. PM me with your email address and I'll send some pics. Jim
i have had my share of difficulties with posting pics but have been able to do one at a time must be the size of the pics as for the MODs they have never responded to me either ill pm my email for pics
thanks
jz
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Terry Crist

Follow this about posting pictures and you should be ok.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501039
Terry Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
mmiddle

Doing a LS swap is fairly involved. Unless you have a spare 10 grand you could order a LS3 (5.3 , LSA) E-Rod or and new 4L60E tranny. Then it will be much easier.

EFI is the way to go for mileage, but costly and technical. A good create engine like you mentioned is a great way to go with a 700-4R and 3:42's.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiddle View Post
Doing a LS swap is fairly involved. Unless you have a spare 10 grand you could order a LS3 (5.3 , LSA) E-Rod or and new 4L60E tranny. Then it will be much easier.

EFI is the way to go for mileage, but costly and technical. A good create engine like you mentioned is a great way to go with a 700-4R and 3:42's.
Not to be naive, but can you do an EFI in one of these crate engines?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #13
mmiddle

Oh, yes. Lots of aftermarket stuff from Holley and Edelbrock. Also GM has the RamJet line of port injected Gen 1 small block create engines.

Doing a doner LS change is much more involved than doing a new GM create offering. Going with a new traditional small block is easy because everything is a direct fit.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #14
allons

The initial cost of EFI is higher, but for day to day driving I think EFI is superior. The GMPP EFI engines have stand alone computers (ECU) that any GM dealer can service. There are after market EFI systems (FAST, Holley, Edelbrock) but, my research into those led me to think that I am not that knowledgeable about sensors, electronics, mapping, etc. to adapt one to a non-EFI engine. 'Universal fit' systems or parts rarely fit universally

So, for my DD I chose an off the shelf 350 RamJet with the EFI package already to plug and play. No catalytic converter, nothing, plug and play.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM   #15
Jahloha

Quote:
The initial cost of EFI is higher, but for day to day driving I think EFI is superior. The GMPP EFI engines have stand alone computers (ECU) that any GM dealer can service. There are after market EFI systems (FAST, Holley, Edelbrock) but, my research into those led me to think that I am not that knowledgeable about sensors, electronics, mapping, etc. to adapt one to a non-EFI engine. 'Universal fit' systems or parts rarely fit universally

So, for my DD I chose an off the shelf 350 RamJet with the EFI package already to plug and play. No catalytic converter, nothing, plug and play.
I like the sound of that, as I consider myself in the same boat. How has MPG been for your dd?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #16
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

When restoring a vehicle, if its made out of rubber or holds fluids in, change it. All of them.

Seals, hoses, gaskets, bushings, etc. Every one of them.

You wouldn't trust a forty year old piece of rubber to serve as birth control. Don't trust one to work on your truck either.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #17
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
When restoring a vehicle, if its made out of rubber or holds fluids in, change it. All of them.

Seals, hoses, gaskets, bushings, etc. Every one of them.

You wouldn't trust a forty year old piece of rubber to serve as birth control. Don't trust one to work on your truck either.
Great analogy and I completely agree, are there vendors who sell complete kits for all those exchanges. I am finding it hard to keep track of everything on my notes, but I also have the service manual being shipped, so I assume that would help me with that.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #18
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

It can be overwhelming if you look at it as a whole.

Break it down into manageable chunks.

Front suspension and brakes
Rear suspension and brakes
Engine
Transmission
Convert to power steering if needed
Add swaybar

That way you can focus more closely. There is a lot of research on each phase. If you stay focused on a narrow part of the project you can fully research and grasp all of the information.

I won't push my opinions too hard, but I'm a very diehard made in USA fan. There's still good parts out there on the market. You just can't always shop for lowest price. Sometimes you got to put on your big boys pants and pony up a few extra bucks for better quality.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
allons

My DD is not yet ready for it's road trials, so I'm unsure of MPG. Tex Firefighter has helped me with the motor install and is a valuable source of knowledge and info.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
It can be overwhelming if you look at it as a whole.

Break it down into manageable chunks.

Front suspension and brakes
Rear suspension and brakes
Engine
Transmission
Convert to power steering if needed
Add swaybar

That way you can focus more closely. There is a lot of research on each phase. If you stay focused on a narrow part of the project you can fully research and grasp all of the information.

I won't push my opinions too hard, but I'm a very diehard made in USA fan. There's still good parts out there on the market. You just can't always shop for lowest price. Sometimes you got to put on your big boys pants and pony up a few extra bucks for better quality.
Awesome advice...I have read your comments a lot throughout this website and happy your stumbled across my thread.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 10-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #21
hugger6933

Look at this project the same way you would eat an elephant. How is that? One bite at a time. Also beside the brakes suspension and god tight steering components are important as well. New brakes won't help you much is your skidding on the pavement with a broken ball joint.
Now moving on to the fuel injection, If you are a newer trucker lover with a lesser amount of wrench time, a ls transplant while worth wile is draining both your mind and pocket book. A crate 350 with a aftermarket EFI is very easy to install and easy to tune and will get decent mileage with the 700 and a 3:42 rear gear that would make a rock solid dependable truck. If a little more HP and TQ is in order you can stay basicly with that plan, but go with a Vortec [96 -00 gen 1 small block w/good heads] and a 4 bbl intake made for that motor [they are separate] and then add either an aftermarket hyd roller cam [cam only it is already hyd roller so just change the cam] and then put that aftermarket efi on there and it will awake a beast. The Vortec motor will add at least 40 hp over the regular 350 motor. Good luck with your project. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote