The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #1
swamp rat

Bench bleed problem

Bench bleeding the master cyl today the way a friend taught me, Chuck into a vice, plug the ports on the side, put some fluid in the reservoirs grab a philips screwdriver and start pressing the piston in and out till the air bubbles stop.

I noticed today that every time i press the piston inward brake fluid squirts back thru the rear wheel brake reservoir inlet port about 2" high, however the front wheel reservoir inlet port only push's the fluid up about 1/4 to 3/8" high.

First off I have no idea if pushing fluid back thru the reservoir inlet port is normal.

Secondly, before i removed the master i was having trouble bleeding my brakes, i had plenty of fluid to the rear wheel calipers but next to nothing at the front calipers.

Am i doing anything wrong bench bleeding?

Is it normal for the master to squirt fluid back thru the inlet like that ??

I don't mind saying that this is the first time i have had a master and booster replaced so not a lot of experience with it.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
1blue72

Re: Bench bleed problem

Should have flexible tubes feeding back into the reservoir when bench bleeding the best way to bleed brakes is with two people start pushing fluid thru those bleeders on the truck don't be afraid to go thru some fluid
1blue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #3
jocko

If you bench bleed the master cylinder with the ports plugged (the way that most new master cylinder install instructions state to do it), it is important to only push the piston in approximately 3/4"-1", and no more. I put a wide piece of blue or green painter's tape on the screwdriver, insert it into the piston bore (a wooden stick is probably preferred to a screwdriver...), look straight down from above the mc, put a mark with a sharpie even with the rear mounting face of the mc (or any reference point you can repeatedly see clearly) - then mark the tape on the screwdriver again, approx. 1" from the first mark (i.e. UP the screwdriver's shaft). Reinsert and slowly cycle the piston between the two marks, without letting the 2nd mark disappear inside the housing (1st mark is the seated position, 2nd is the 3/4"-1" depression point. Do this until you see no bubbles coming up from inside the mc, and it takes a little while, lotsa air in the passages of a new mc. Works every time.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #4
cdowns

i have found bench bleeding way overrated
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Artikgrau325is

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
i have found bench bleeding way overrated
Same. By the time I get the plugs and tubes off and hook up the regular lines I'm sure there's a TON of air that gets in anyway.
Artikgrau325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
To answer your question, yes it is normal for fluid to squirt back up from the inlet ports. I think it will only do it when there is back pressure on it (ie: when it is installed or the line ports are plugged) If you had the short bleeder hoses on it I don't think it would do it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
swamp rat

Yea i have often questioned the fact that you have to open the ports on install and does some of the air get back in anyway..

I dug around and found the port plugs that you hook hoses to and route them back in the reservoir, so last night i hooked them up and primed till i got all the air out of the lines, then i let it sit till this morning, it had more air in the system so today i went back and forth first raising the front and pumping till no air, then lowering the front down and pumping till no air, did this about 8 times and gonna leave it sit again till after work then try again to see if more air is in the system, if there is more air then i can only conclude its coming in from somewhere ether the plugs or a bad O-ring...

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 10-30-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
MLB57

bench bleed and put it on the truck, also bleed the proportioning valve at the same time you will never get the plastic plugs to seat enough to leave sit. I use old pieces of brake lines to bleed master cylinders.
MLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB57 View Post
bench bleed and put it on the truck, also bleed the proportioning valve at the same time you will never get the plastic plugs to seat enough to leave sit. I use old pieces of brake lines to bleed master cylinders.
So your saying to leave the Prop valve connected to the master when bench bleeding and run the hoses from the prop valve back to the reservoir?

I didn't even think of bleeding the Proportioning valve at the same time, great idea, it may solve all my problems!

I believe my Prop valve from inline tube needs to be reset, it has no button to press in while bleeding, last attempt i got a tone of fluid to the rear but very little to the front.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
MLB57

It will center when you install it, yes bleed them both at the same time, gravity bleed the system before you start pumping the pedal
MLB57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:16 PM   #11
wilbilt

Yes, fluid will squirt back up into the reservoir when the pedal is released. This occurs through the 'replenishment port'.

If pressurized fluid from the lines was not returned to the reservoir upon removing your foot from the pedal, the brakes would never release.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbilt View Post
Yes, fluid will squirt back up into the reservoir when the pedal is released. This occurs through the 'replenishment port'.

If pressurized fluid from the lines was not returned to the reservoir upon removing your foot from the pedal, the brakes would never release.
Makes perfect sense, i just noted that the rear had much more back flow volume. Thank you!!

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB57 View Post
It will center when you install it, yes bleed them both at the same time, gravity bleed the system before you start pumping the pedal

I was trying to vacuum bleed the back first, had problem with my bleeder gun, then tried to gravity feed the back, did that then went to the front and got next to nothing.

Hopefully I'll get this figured out pretty soon. I did get the reset procedure from Inline Tube.

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #14
jocko

One note on resetting the prop valve switch - you will normally need to stomp on the pedal once front and rear systems are bled in order to recenter the valve.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #15
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
One note on resetting the prop valve switch - you will normally need to stomp on the pedal once front and rear systems are bled in order to recenter the valve.
I missed your post, Thank you! Hope to get back at it tomorrow (actually today now)

Swamp Rat build thread :

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's