The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
RickLK

Which Chassis to choose

Hi, I am a new member and I don't actually own a classic truck yet. I have been dreaming about building a 55 Chevy for years. I am semi disabled after 7 back surgeries so I am on a limited budget and will need to do all the work myself. I want a restomod type driver which would ride nice like my Silverado. I like the idea of a chassis swap to hopefully minimize modifications. I saw one of the build threads where he was using a silverado. Does anybody have an opinion on which direction I could go. I do have my eye on a 55 with no chassis and a 95 silverado stepside. I can get them both for under $4000.
RickLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
RickLK

Re: Which Chassis to choose

This is a truck I saw on Craigslist. I don't know who owns it but it is exactly what I want to do with the Silverado bed 88-99
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #3
RickLK

Also I'm not 100% sure on the bed, I just thought it looked kinda cool once when I saw one in person. I'm thinking it would really minimize body work from cab back as well.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
dubie

no matter which route you go to upgrade the chassis or suspension on one of these old trucks, you're still looking at a lot of work. There aren't any direct swap kind of chassis out there that will work for this situation. I've seen guys put them on Caprice frames, 88 Chevy 1/2 tons, S10, 73-87 full size chassis as well as the 67-72 short bed chassis but they all require a change in wheel base, a change in body mounts and then everything else must be custom fit to the chassis. I'm not trying to discourage you or tell you it can't be done because....anything can be done. Your best bet would be to find one that has had an after market IFS clip or a 2nd generation Camaro clip already welded into it. At least then, all the tough fabrication work is done for you (as long as it's done right) And you can run across these kinds of projects every week for sale at reasonable prices

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
RickLK

Tim,
I was also wondering if it wouldn't be better to just use the stock frame, either look for 1 like you are talking about or just do the fab work and add my own IFS??? I know it is going to be a lot of work as you say, just wondering which way would give me the best bang for my buck, as they say. I was also wondering about buying a C4 Vette and using all the drive train off that and do C4 suspension swap. I see a lot of Vette's here with fairly low miles and some are as low as $4000.00 then I could use the Engine, Transmition etc. I just really want to get a lot of information before I jump in to it.

Thanks, Rick
Old 10-31-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
RickLK

My Silverado wheel base is 117.5, 3" longer then the stock 55. If I were to use another Silverado doner and move the front wheels forward an inch or so then I would need to cut 2" from the center of the frame. Everything cab back would need no fab. That would leave all the cab and front clip mounts to fab, a firewall, which I would want to replace anyways and everything from the cut in the frame forward as far as transsmision, engine and suspension would require no work. The only issue would be to find wheels with a larger setback to set the wheels in more in front. I don't know....just thinking....and the build I saw here where he used 88 Chevy seamed to fit pretty well...........
Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 PM   #7
FarmerSid

To me, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other on cost and work. Either way it's a bunch of work. Me, I'd use the stock frame and add an IFS to it and a rear of your choice. Tons of builds here for what to use without reinventing the wheel. I'm installing a corvette IRS and IFS in my 51 but what I'm after is stock looking on the outside, a little lowered, and modern drive train for safety and long trips. I'm not sure on that newer bed. Just my opinion. Either way, I understand the work and dedication involved.

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
RickLK

Thanks Tim & Sid,
Sid, I'm leaning that way as well. Are you building your own kit or purchasing the corvette kits? I'm sure There would be a lot of opinions on the bed not being stock vintage type I really like the 55 bed and haven't made up my mind yet. If I find a bed that doesn't have to be completely rebuilt I would use it. I just have a lot of pretty severe pain issues. That's why I'm trying to do my homework now. I may be getting into something my body cant handle but I've wanted to do this for so long.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLK View Post
Tim,
I was also wondering if it wouldn't be better to just use the stock frame, either look for 1 like you are talking about or just do the fab work and add my own IFS??? I know it is going to be a lot of work as you say, just wondering which way would give me the best bang for my buck, as they say. I was also wondering about buying a C4 Vette and using all the drive train off that and do C4 suspension swap. I see a lot of Vette's here with fairly low miles and some are as low as $4000.00 then I could use the Engine, Transmition etc. I just really want to get a lot of information before I jump in to it.

Thanks, Rick
I would check your local pick a part to find all that. it would be considerable cheaper there, drawback would be not being able to hear it run if you didnt bring a battery with you. Yes they can be hot wired hahahaha so I have read on the internet.

I found a stock frame for mine and am putting C4 all the way around it, mainly due to the availability of parts and the cool factor.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:03 AM   #10
FarmerSid

Quote:
Thanks Tim & Sid,
Sid, I'm leaning that way as well. Are you building your own kit or purchasing the corvette kits? I'm sure There would be a lot of opinions on the bed not being stock vintage type I really like the 55 bed and haven't made up my mind yet. If I find a bed that doesn't have to be completely rebuilt I would use it. I just have a lot of pretty severe pain issues. That's why I'm trying to do my homework now. I may be getting into something my body cant handle but I've wanted to do this for so long.
Rick. I plan on building my own installation parts for the vette IFS and IRS. I don't think the rear will be too bad but the front will be challenge. Don't let the pain issues get in your way. Do as much as you can then take a break. Just don't over do it. Might be good therapy.

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
RickLK

Sid, I like the sound of that. It sounds like it wouldn't cost as much. I have all the time in the world and not a lot of funds. Good advice on the pain issues, Thank you
Old 11-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
bobinbc

Rick what is your budget for a truck to bring it to completion? $4000 to get started is a drop in the bucket, unless you plan on doing everything yourself including paint and body work, wiring, welding and a 100 other things. Chances are you will spend 10-15 grand before you are done. Have you considered buying a truck already done?
I'm not against building a truck, I have done it several times. But I know the work involved and I would hate to see someone start a project and not be able to finish it because they injured themselves trying save a few bucks. Just saying...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Cana...geChevyTrucks/
bobinbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 PM   #13
57chevyman

Quote:
Hi, I am a new member and I don't actually own a classic truck yet. I have been dreaming about building a 55 Chevy for years. I am semi disabled after 7 back surgeries so I am on a limited budget and will need to do all the work myself. I want a restomod type driver which would ride nice like my Silverado. I like the idea of a chassis swap to hopefully minimize modifications. I saw one of the build threads where he was using a silverado. Does anybody have an opinion on which direction I could go. I do have my eye on a 55 with no chassis and a 95 silverado stepside. I can get them both for under $4000.
id say you would be much better off finding a truck that someone else built.
im not saying go out and buy a show truck... but look for one that already has some major stuff done like a v8 swap , power steering, maybe even upgraded brakes and front suspension. look on craigslist and ebay

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #14
57chevyman

Quote:
Also I'm not 100% sure on the bed, I just thought it looked kinda cool once when I saw one in person. I'm thinking it would really minimize body work from cab back as well.
my '57 chevy shortbed truck has the stepside bed from a 1991 Chevy. im not crazy about the way it looks, but I bought it like this for a great deal. I really want to get a reproduction bed from Mar-K.... for the bed, fenders, wood kit...its over $2,000... and then it has to be painted.

im going to start a new thread on the subject of the bed

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote