The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Jahloha

Help dismantling my 1970 C20

Hey Team:

Over the winter I am wanting to dismantle my truck and get it ready for the restoration, but I am not quite sure where to start...I am planning on swapping out the engine, trans, doing disc brakes, body work and paint, interior, etc.

I mean, where do I start? What should be my process breakdown?

I have been searching for threads that show the process of how to go about this, but was unsuccessful.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Jahloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
Jahloha

Re: Help dismantling my 1970 C20

I should expand and mention that I learn most by taking something apart and am very focused on taking notes as pieces come off, especially for the backend assembly.

My grandpa, Gramps, won a 1970 C20 in 1969 for $1. I'm on a mission to restore it before he passes.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-05-2013, 02:15 PM   #3
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

First take lots of pictures, if you don't have a digital camera go buy one. Even if you don't think what your looking at is important take a pic (or several) of it, it will be important later...trust me.
Second, buy a lot of ziplock baggies, big and small, the kind you can write on. Fender bolts go in a bag labeled fender bolts, etc. DO THIS WITH EVERYTHING! You will not regret it.
I'd pull the front clip first...hood, cowl, grill, fenders, inner fenders, bumper, core support, etc. Then you can pull the engine and trans without too much trouble.
Work your way from the front to the back and bag and tag everything.
This should get you started.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Almost forgot...spend the $25 to become a subscribing member so you can buy and sell parts here, will be the best money spent other than the camera.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 11-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Lee H

Take many pictures, especially the details, how stuff mounts, orientation, fasteners, fuel line details, brake line details, wiring, etc. Notes are good but after several months or more the memory gets fuzzy, I took about 20 pages of notes and I'm glad I took a lot of pictures to. Also buy lots of zip lock bags, quarts and gallons, and mark very well. For instance, Right head light hardware, Glove box hardware, don't try to mix parts onto fewer bags. Use tags for items to big for bags. When I freshened up mine last year I started with the trim, bright work, bumpers, front clip, drive engine and trans, then moved to the cab, windows, interior, dash, gas tank, AC/heater, then wiring (tagged every end with description) door guts, steering column. Then I removed the doors, bed, and finally the cab. With all the sheet metal out of the way I started on the chassis. I pretty much reversed to assemble. Take your time and have fun. Lee

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
I should expand and mention that I learn most by taking something apart and am very focused on taking notes as pieces come off, especially for the backend assembly.

Yes, lots of notes and pictures are important in all phases of the process. I don't know how far down you are planning to strip it but I usually remove the bed and front clip first, then strip the inside of the cab and remove it. There are instructions on each phase of disassembly, if you know how to search for them. First off, it will really help if you do some reading first and get familiar with some of the truck parts terminology. Then, use the Google search box at the top of the page. Type your search terms into the box, click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and click on the "Google" button.

Keep the search terms simple. Example; if you want info on removing the complete front sheet metal in one piece just type in "remove front clip" or "remove doghouse". Same with the other parts: "remove bed", "remove instrument cluster", etc, You get the idea... Just remember to make sure what you are looking at or reading refers to your year of truck as the search results will include all years of trucks.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've never had issues taking stuff apart. Putting it back together is always the problem.

Get an LMC catalog. Sounds stupid, but it's one of the best things out there. They have a lot of expanded/exploded views of parts, so you can kind of figure out how they go back together from there.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Some have suggested a camera.I will go one step farther and add an electronic picture frame.It will hold the photos at a larger size and be portable enugh to have next to the truck.
Also grab some totes or boxes to put baggies of parts in.Subdivide them by area of truck,cab,bed,doghouse etc.Then you only have one box to look thru for what you need.Some of the intermediate parts can also go in the box,like the brace for the drivers inner fender etc.
You'll also need room for 3 trucks.One to have for the part you're working on.One for storage and one for body parts too big to fit,like the bed or cab.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #9
Jahloha

To all those mentioning the storage of bolts and pieces, do you go the distance to somehow restore nuts, bolts, and screws? Or just pull em out, then put them back in.

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Lee H

I had all the fasteners replated. After I have bagged and tagged everything, I remove the fasteners from one bag at a time and photograph them from several directions up close (even though some fasteners look alike many have different details on the head), then sort them by plating finish, zinc, black phosphate, etc. When I get them back from the platers I rebag them.

Also, don't throw anything away, even if you place something, until your done.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Old 11-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahloha View Post
To all those mentioning the storage of bolts and pieces, do you go the distance to somehow restore nuts, bolts, and screws? Or just pull em out, then put them back in.
I reused some that were in excellent shape (mostly body bolts) after wire wheel and paint.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
Jahloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
I had all the fasteners replated. After I have bagged and tagged everything, I remove the fasteners from one bag at a time and photograph them from several directions up close (even though some fasteners look alike many have different details on the head), then sort them by plating finish, zinc, black phosphate, etc. When I get them back from the platers I rebag them.

Also, don't throw anything away, even if you place something, until your done.
Roughly, what kind of costs would this range from?

My 1970 C20 Build Thread
Old 11-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
Lee H

In addition to the fasteners I also had the following plated: brake booster brackets, door latches & shims, jack tool spring & hardware, some brake hardware, sway bars & brackets, brake dust shields, front hub dust caps, and some other stuff. Of the fasteners I had to replace I had them plated also for some consistency. I think the plating bill was around $125.