The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
MYBAD66

The first driving expierience

I always love hearing about peoples first driving expierience it's always such a crazy story.

My first driving expierience was in a 95 C3500 dually with, Long bed, crew cab and the big V-tech 454. A week after I had gotten my permit going to pick up my little brother from school. Dad suddenly asked "why am I drving?" and threw me the keys stating "If you can drive this you can drive anything." (mind you had I had absolutely no drving expierience before this.) Here in Sin City about the time School clubs get out is when everyone is getting off of work as well, And with about two million people in the city this can get pretty hectic. So as you can imagine I was pretty damn scared out of my wits being the newly permitted driver that I was. Even pulling up to the school in that big ole' hauler and me in the hot seat everyone standing waiting for the bus kinda backed up. It didn't help that my younger brother is a complete drama queen either. But I made it and mastered driving that fat ass of a truck...even if I almost ate a hyaundai .

So guys what is your first drving expierience and is it as crazy or crazier than mine?
Old 11-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
kieth

Re: The first driving expierience

My first driving experience was on the farm, 1958 i was 8 yrs old, drove my grandfathers ford tractor pulling a trailer with irrigation pipe on it. Could not mess up, those old guys in those days were tough and mean....drove his ?studebaker pickup, and a grain truck.....tough love....allll of these vehicles were standards, my first car was a 3 speed on the tree with no power steering. Passed with fyling colors....kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Very similar thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=596870

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
LVPhotos

Other than the tractors on the farm, I cheated and got an Iowa farm permit at 12. I spent my summers in Iowa with my dad and family so it was a long shot to get. I drove my dads Mazda 323 pos with a stick to the store and got cigs. Remember those days? Hi I need some Marbalo Red box, here is my note.
I was driving a truck with 3 on the tree here in LV when it locked up in traffic. Ripped it right off in a panic. Lucky the part store was right there.
When deployed to Japan I had not driven a stick in a while so getting back to driving a manual was one thing but to be right hand drive was another. Lets just say the first curb was a wake up. Depending on make of truck you be on the other side.
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
awbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
My first driving experience was on the farm, 1958 i was 8 yrs old, drove my grandfathers ford tractor pulling a trailer with irrigation pipe on it. Could not mess up, those old guys in those days were tough and mean....drove his ?studebaker pickup, and a grain truck.....tough love....allll of these vehicles were standards, my first car was a 3 speed on the tree with no power steering. Passed with fyling colors....kieth
My grand father had a heart murmmer (sp.) and after a day of driving the tractor baling hay he was just too tired to walk accross the hay field we were at to get the ford 8n .. at 8 years old ,I said " i can drive it " and he said are you sure , to which I replied , " I have been watching my brother drive ,I know how .. " I will never to this day ever know what made him say yes , but he said OK go get it ..... so I got it started , and drove it to where he was , just barely getting it stopped , because I could not press the clutch and the brake at the same time so as to get it to stop .. .. biggest mistake I ever made in my life .. the next day I found myself raking hay with that same ford 8n tractor and that lead to being as valuable as any other hired hand on the farm for the rest of the summer.......
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote