The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
lha1992

65 c10 283 with powerglide no start...neutral safety switch?

Hi everyone. So my newly acquired 65 c10 will not start under its own power. Like I have to hot wire it off with a positive from the battery to the solenoid to get the starter to turn over.

Now what I've read do the 65 v8 trucks with powerglides come with neutral safety switches? This is really making me mad the truck has a hogs nest of screwed up wiring under the dash from the PO who didn't know what they were doing.

I got a new ignition switch an that did fix it so it must be something somewhere else? Is there a fuse or something in the circuit going to the solenoid at all on these trucks?

Any ideas would be great!
lha1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
awbrown

Re: 65 c10 283 with powerglide no start...neutral safety switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lha1992 View Post
Hi everyone. So my newly acquired 65 c10 will not start under its own power. Like I have to hot wire it off with a positive from the battery to the solenoid to get the starter to turn over.

Now what I've read do the 65 v8 trucks with powerglides come with neutral safety switches? This is really making me mad the truck has a hogs nest of screwed up wiring under the dash from the PO who didn't know what they were doing.

I got a new ignition switch an that did fix it so it must be something somewhere else? Is there a fuse or something in the circuit going to the solenoid at all on these trucks?

Any ideas would be great!
I take it that the new switch "didnt fix it " .. is that correct ??? Someone else will have to chime in on this one , but I dont know of any safety switch ,at least mine has none .... I would follow the wire from the "s" terminal on the new switch to the starter and make sure it is getting power when the switch is turned before I do anything.....
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #3
AcampoDave

My 66 use to have a safety switch I think. It's been a while since I had the stock column but if I remember right, it was on the column by the firewall. The ignition power in lead should be a pink wire... check to see if it's there, and if someone smarter than me about this doesn't chime in, you may jar my memory by letting me know what you find.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
yelmer

yes the safety switch is located on the steering column by the firewall mounts on the top side of the column . you can bypass it with a wire . sometimes it might be not adjusted right and the truck switch thinks it is in a drive gear.
yelmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Irishbleueyes

The switch does have a swivel type adjustment left to right, right to left. Will only allow engine to start when in Park or Neutral. Our wiring diagram shows the color coded wires to it and which connections go where. You can get a new switch just about anywhere for about 10 bucks..
Irishbleueyes is offline   Reply With Quote