The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
11echo

Are Mags centered on the Lugs or the Center Hub?

I've got a 64 Chevy C10 ½ ton project, I'm changing over to disc brakes, already got donor spindles, calipers, & rotors off a 77 C10. My issue is this I found a pair of American Racing 200S Daisy mags, 15x8 with 5 on 5 lug pattern ...I want to use, but the center hub diameter is larger then on the rotors. So I'm thinking if the mag is centered with the lugs am fine, but if it’s centered on the center hub of the rotor then I'll need an adapter. ...Anybody know for sure? THX!
11echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
chevy2junk

Re: Are Mags centered on the Lugs or the Center Hub?

Old americans are lug o centric meaning the shank on the lug nut hold the wheel in place.Most new mags are hub o centric meaning the center hub centers.Steel wheels are hubocentric.
chevy2junk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
66Submarine

Re: Are Mags centered on the Lugs or the Center Hub?

With the OE setup, the wheels are really at least functionally lug centric; even though the hub bore is close to the same size, it isn't a tight fit. Most aftermarket wheels have larger hub bores for other applications. (IIRC Toyota is a 6 on 5.5" with the large hub bore.)

What I would call "true" hub centric wheels have a tighter machined fit, and were/are used on duallys, etc.; most times with clamping plates or flanged lug nuts. Not sure about aftermarket car type "hub centric" wheels, but I don't really see why they shouldn't work as lug centric, as long as they are a conical lug nut seat type.

Case in point: I have a dually with flat lug nuts and hub-centric wheels. Everything hub-wise is the same as my conical seat truck with the sloppier wheel hub bore; the conical lug nuts being the only difference. IMO/IME, tapered seat stuff is essentially lug-centric.