The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
MIKEs50Chevy

Recommendation on truck magazine?

I'm interested in maybe subscribing to a truck magazine, but I don't have a lot of free time, so I one subscription is probably plenty (maybe too much) so I'd like some input on Custom Classic Trucks or Classic Trucks. I'm in the process of having a 1950 Chevy 3100 restored by a local shop, so I don't necessarily need a bunch of articles on how to do things, more just cool looking trucks so I can get ideas of things I'd like to do to my truck as time goes on. I was lucky enough to come into some cash to get most of what I wanted done completed (engine, trans, front end, interior, etc.) Basically everything except a new fancy paint job. Any suggestions of one over the other? Thanks in advance
MIKEs50Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
fat56

Re: Recommendation on truck magazine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEs50Chevy View Post
I'm interested in maybe subscribing to a truck magazine, but I don't have a lot of free time, so I one subscription is probably plenty (maybe too much) so I'd like some input on Custom Classic Trucks or Classic Trucks. I'm in the process of having a 1950 Chevy 3100 restored by a local shop, so I don't necessarily need a bunch of articles on how to do things, more just cool looking trucks so I can get ideas of things I'd like to do to my truck as time goes on. I was lucky enough to come into some cash to get most of what I wanted done completed (engine, trans, front end, interior, etc.) Basically everything except a new fancy paint job. Any suggestions of one over the other? Thanks in advance
Hey there,

i was in the same boat as you, justed wanted a truck magazine for cool trucks. Here in aus we get custom classic and classic and im my opinion im not a fan of them. Waaaay to much advertisement and there are alot of how to's, thats not a bad thing if your after it.
LOW n LOUD
fat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #3
meter swinger

I've had a scrip to most all of them at one time or another. As fat56 said they are basically an advertising piece. Even the how-to's revolve around the advertisers selling parts. Don't get me wrong, its nice to have manufacturers producing stuff for our trucks, but I don't think you will find any one place with as much honest information as this site.
If you need pics for ideas there are a lot of groups on FB related to the automotive/truck hobby. I may be a little nuts, but im on 39 groups on FB. Mostly chevy trucks 55-59, 73-87, some mopar, and a little international harvester, and some buy/sell/swaps. Anyway, point is there are gobs of pics on facebook.

Last edited by meter swinger; 11-13-2013 at 12:20 AM. Reason: +
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
av8tr33337

You might just want to check out

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/

Its basically the online version of the magazine. maybe not as many truck pics but the tech section is interesting.

this will at least give you a small taste of what the magazine is like

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
Root2812

I have subscriptions to both Custom Classic Trucks and Classic Trucks. They are very similar but I always seem to like the write ups in Classic Trucks better. The subscriptions are cheap too. I just renewed my Classic Trucks subscription for 3 years for only $50. It does have a lot of ads but there are a few features every week and a lot of small tech articles and how-tos. Most of your hobby magazines are like that because sponsors are how they make money. You can grab an issue of Classic Trucks at Barnes and Nobel to give it a try.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Yewhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
I have subscriptions to both Custom Classic Trucks and Classic Trucks. They are very similar but I always seem to like the write ups in Classic Trucks better. The subscriptions are cheap too. I just renewed my Classic Trucks subscription for 3 years for only $50. It does have a lot of ads but there are a few features every week and a lot of small tech articles and how-tos. Most of your hobby magazines are like that because sponsors are how they make money. You can grab an issue of Classic Trucks at Barnes and Nobel to give it a try.
Me as well. I've gone totally paperless (where possible) and both of these have electronic versions.
Yewhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
_Ogre

i subscribe to a lot of magazines, mostly car/truck mags.
most articles are editors personal vehicles and how they install the newest freebies from their advertisers.
luckily they go thru editors often, so the scenery changes often enough
the era of how to articles using junk yard parts is long gone

after the first year, i ignore the renewal notices and then they come out with the deals
i just renewed carcraft for 3 yrs at $7 per year and custom classic trucks 3 yrs for $10 per yr

but the best source for how to is right here and 67-72chevytrucks.com
because this is such a valuable site you should become a contributing member

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:37 AM   #8
OrrieG

I dumped all my subscriptions probably 20+ years ago when the articles started changing from junk yard and home build adaption to expensive aftermarket bolt on stuff. I still have a lot of the tech articles from the late 60's and 70's in a binder on how to build your own, good casting # to look for, low dollar hp increasing or et lowing tips, etc.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #9
buildinga55

Go to Barnes and Nobel once in a while with a car buddy, grab a few magazines including the ones you mention, get a cup of coffee or a hot chocolate and enjoy the discussion and the magazines. Then if you feel strongly you want to subscribe, go for it. I have not subscribed for a couple years, but got a sale on magazines email that was so cheap, I did have to resubsribe to a couple. One of the truck magazines was only $5.00 for 12 issues.
buildinga55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Daze57

i did the same as OrrieG
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
mr48chev

I subscribe to Custom and classic trucks and quite often buy Classic trucks. I have volume one number one of Truckin somewhere in my boxes but they lost me years ago and I haven't bought an issue in over ten years.

Yes all too many of their "articles" are plugs for what their advertisers make or sell but without advertisers there wouldn't be any magazines or we could expect to pay 13 bucks or more an issue as those of us who buy Rodder's Journal do.

I get tired of the adds too and especially the non truck/automotive adds in truck magazines but do read a lot of the adds as they often provide info for future reference too. Or some times that 200.00 billet bracket looks a whole lot like that bracket you saw on an engine in the Wrecking yard a couple of weeks ago and now you figured out how to make the 5.00 wrecking yard bracket work.

If your are actually "restoring" the truck I'd lean more towards Classic truck magazine though as it has more for the stock truck guy or almost stock truck guy.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
_Ogre

it pisses me off that the mailed hard copy is always less expensive than the e-versions.
you'd think saving the cost of printing, postage and handling they'd give you a break on the e-version subscriptions.
i can get a 3 yr subscription for most magazines for around $30 or less, but the e-version is always full price.
i read all magazines once and donate them to other gearheads or leave a stack of them in a doctors office

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote