The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
sonnyman28

Comments from your better half!!!!

Lets hear from your better half. What kind of comments are you guys getting when your significant other walks out the house and notice another classic truck or car has been added to the line up. Negtive or Positive. Thought this would be a fun thread for reading some of those comments. Ok lets hear those comments!!!!
sonnyman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
4x4toy

Re: Comments from your better half!!!!

My wife pulled in driveway right after I brought home my 1961 C60 stake body, gave me some evil look that would cut you in half, then she said "as long as you are happy". She is good about my hobby, i dont bother her about her shoes and finger nails.
05 GMC Sierra 2500hd Duramax
4x4toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
ARGluck

Mine is incredibly supportive of the classic truck but if I brought one home without mentioning to her I was going to buy one she would probably have some choice words.

She tends to become attached to my projects so I get a bit of guilt from her when I attempt to trade or sell something.
ARGluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

Mine has no interest in the cars.

She says "...having more than one classic is like having more than one wife...

...it sounds like fun initially but in the long run it's way too much work!"

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #5
DT1

My wife really enjoys telling other people about my Classics and also riding in/on them. The only thing that bothers her is the amount of time I spend in the shop working on them. The other day she came out to the shop and said "I had a dream this place burned down". Taking the hint, I stopped what I was doing and replied, " Ok, I'm coming in now."
DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #6
faribran

DT1 good move..... talk about subtle hints.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Longhorn 70

My wife sometimes get on me (not in the good way) about working on the truck. She did go with me to Dino's last week and had fun looking at trucks, meeting people and so on. She has since lightened up.

"I still don't see why you like it so much"

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
vidman

Got Rid of her....Everything is better now
Old 11-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
joesgreen67

"That's nice, honey"
joesgreen67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
EdSevered

We got our first C-10 early last month. It's a '71 Chevy Cheyenne LWB with an '87 350/350, 73K original miles. (pic below) My original intention was to use it as a fun daily driver to replace an '84 GMC Vandura conversion van, and quit putting so many miles on our '06 Honda Element.

Since we got it, I just been tinkering in the garage on the weekends to get to know the thing and bring my knowledge and skills back up to speed. So far, I've replaced the old leaky Q-jet with an Edelbrock 1406, put in a fuel regulator, new plugs and wires, oil change, etc.

I must give my wife props, she is an excellent money manager, far better than I am. And she's not a cheapskate. She has made some truly amazing things happen with our meager salaries and I have learned that if she says we can't afford it, we can't afford it.

Anyway, when I first found the '71 on c-list, I carefully broached the subject with my wife and laid out my case for going into the nest egg. You all probably know the drill, "easy to work on", "parts are everywhere and cheap", "better gas mileage than -insert other beater with a heater here-", "you keep telling me I need hobby", etc, etc. She begrudgingly accepts the idea and gives the non-committal, "you know we really can't afford this, but okay, we'll look at it, NO PROMISES, ". And I was sure that she meant the "no promises" part. So on the fine Saturday morning of October 5th, we and the dog pile dog into the Honda and take the 50 mile drive to check the thing out.

When we get there, it turns out I knew the guy selling it, you know, friend-of-a-friend. He and I spend about two hours bs'ing about people we both know, cars, trucks, politics, yadda-yadda, while I look it over we talk about the truck for maybe 15 minutes. My wife quietly spends time with the dog, they go for a walk, play in the yard. Finally, he and I get to brass tacks, we haggle on price a bit, we agree on a price, with the caveat that my wife is fine with it. I go over and talk with her, with a tone in her voice I can't read, she says "how much?", I tell her, she says "it's up to you". Oh boy, I don't know what to think. I give her another chance to kill the deal, "are you sure?", she nods. OK, I pull the trigger, the seller and I shake hands. He asks, "how much do you want to leave for a deposit?"

My wife walks up and pulls a wad of crisp Benjamins out of her purse, and hands them to me not saying a word. "What have I got myself into?", I wonder. After 12 years married, I've never seen her act like this. I count the wad, it is the exact amount he and I agreed upon.

(Now I am simply wasting too much time at work, with this...but I gotta finish)

We drive separate vehicles home and don't really discuss this event later in the day. Still bewildered, and starting to get really bugged, the next day I ask her about it. She says: "I knew we were going to buy it, the second you showed me the pictures online. I fell in love it as soon as I saw it. I hope you'll let me drive it sometimes." I was dumbstruck.

To finish up...At her request, the truck has gone from being an intended DD (drive it until the wheels fall off) to winter storage, only top-shelf parts, "you shouldn't put too many miles on it", "yeah, power windows and locks would be cool", "you should do the manifold, valve covers and radiator, before you finish with the carburetor, you're just going to have to take it apart again". How did I get so lucky?

Sorry this post is so long, but that's our story. So, here's OUR '71 Chevy Cheyenne:
Attached Images

EdSevered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
Hook'em

All it get is "when do I get a fun car to drive?"
Old 11-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
sKnNyPpY

You got two keepers Ed! Mine tolerates the truck as long as I use it for her every once in a while. I do have to use the 'healthy hobby' line frequently and I get my HoneyDo list done a lot faster when I have some work to do on ol Black Betty.
2.5 CPP Spindle, 1" CPP Drop Spring, CPP Front and Rear Sway Bars/DJM Flip, new General Spring KC 5 spring pack, HEI /IntReg Alt
20x8.5 OldSkools 5" BS, 275/45 Falkens
sKnNyPpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I've done this a couple times.

First time was my 2000 Z71. We were dating at the time, so really none of her business, but she loved the truck anyway (still does). Had it since April 2005.

The next time was with a really nice Victory Red 99 S10. I paid cash for it earlier that day. I brought her to the dealership that evening. Pretended like I was looking at it, then got in and drove away She was a little mad about that one.

I had arranged with my dad to take his old rust bucket 67 firebird from NY to SC. This was THE car that got me into cars. It was COOL when I was 8 years old. Even have pics of me and dad "working" on it. I had my uncle bring it to SC for me. We got it unloaded in front of the garage. Wife came home and asked WTH is that? We had talked about me getting the car, but she didn't know when or what a 67 firebird looked like so she was OK with it after that.

Most recently we had talked about a 65/66 mustang purchase, even had the money ready, but car after car was a pile of crap. I finally went to NC to look at one. Most rust free clean original Ford steel car I've ever seen. I had to buy it right then (been looking for almost a year.) So I drove it home, put it in the garage, and asked her to get something out of the garage. She actually loves the car.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
"You bought WHAT!!!!.. or "They paid you to take it, RIGHT??..

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 11-22-2013 at 01:54 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
CUSTOM/10

My projects name says it all !

"Divorce Therapy"

My 72 SWB Build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=259859
CUSTOM/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #16
hardcore4life

OUCH!!! Wait, we're talking about women and not wallets? I guess it's good to not answer to anyone.
hardcore4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #17
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSevered View Post
You all probably know the drill.... "you keep telling me I need hobby"...
I don't think I've ever heard that one...

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #18
cleanfreak

She calls them a.f.t.'s (another f*** truck!). Never has a negative comment , will take the 68 without notice (if it's not driveable - I have to hide the keys so she know's its out of commision, otherwise , it's fair game!). Kinda gets on me for not finishing her 67 mustang rag yet , but I have done 3 race cars , at least 3 trucks , and countless other toys before her car..... I better get the 'stang driving this spring or I'm a dead man....only time she gets pissed is when I sell them. I've got it pretty good!
cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #19
JointTech

her: "why cant you ever drive it to home depot"
me: "well I cant fix the _____ until I fix the ______ and I dont want to do that until I paint the __________"
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
hamjet

I would'nt dare bring another one home, I did something stupid one other time (or two or three) and the look I got all I could do is fall to the ground and wet myself!............... Ok, just kidding.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Women are all crazy. Some more so than others. What they say one day, can be completely contradicted later for absolutely no intelligent reason, so why do we care what they think about our hobby? As long as we are sticking to a budget and not ignoring them, forget about what they think and say
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #22
Prematuregrey

When I was thinking of buying my truck my old lady actually had a higher top price than I did on it. She likes the classic trucks but can't drive it cause she can't see over the hood. She does get mad about the amount of time I spend working on the projects but doesn't vocalize it very much. I think she's happier since I've now wrecked the Benz which did take up a lot of time and money.
71 Chevy K20, Clifford, BB and 1 Tons
Prematuregrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #23
slowcpe

She's actually the reason I own my truck. She never liked my Mustang and couldn't understand why I did, especially since I never drive it. We went to the Frog Follies (big pre-'49 show here in town) and she overheard me telling someone I had been looking at old trucks. I thought for sure I was a dead man but she said "I think you should get one". I just about fell out of my chair.

We spent that day looking at trucks, talking and found out she was serious and actually likes them. So I started looking and purchased the one I currently have. Since it's a roller and a frame-off resto I do get ridiculed quite often, but its all in good humor. Or at least I think. I've been trying to get her involved and she's on board other than refusing to go to another swap meet. :lol

Now we aren't married yet but I still have to give the spouse-altered pricing (actual cost/2-3). We definitely can't get married until I get all my Porterbuilt stuff. She'll quickly learn to hate the truck or it'll cost me a new bedroom suit.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #24
nobolt

nope.......can't say as I miss having one around.

"... government even in its best state is but a necessary evil. Thomas Paine

"It wasn't a lie, it was ineptitude with insufficient cover." Donald Draper (Mad Men)
nobolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #25
OLDGREY

When I first started dating my girlfriend, I wasn't to sure how she would handle the fact that I have three of these trucks. I told her that this is who I am. Luckily for me she has things she likes to do also. My first wife wanted me to watch her watch T.V.
Bad decisions make great stories!
OLDGREY is offline   Reply With Quote