The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Minzer

Exclamation change the carter ... now I want to know if the oil pump must also change.

I have a 230 engine was a 1966 car and fun to pick up my 1966 change the carter ... now I want to know if the oil pump must also change. thank you very much, I'm short on time.
Minzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Re: change the carter ... now I want to know if the oil pump must also change.

If I am understanding right....You only need to put in a higher pressure oil pump if you hotrod your motor...or if you are rebuilding it stock then a new stock pump is fine...forgive me if I am not understanding something simple....I am not sure what you mean by "change the carter"....sorry if I am being stupid.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
Minzer

Thank you friend! the carter 6l my car is different, as it makes contact with the front to be different from the model of the car to the truck ... I am changing the carter in my garage and do not want to open it without knowing if I should buy another oil pump, another format with ... means?
there are different models of oil pumps since carter are different?

Old 11-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minzer View Post
Thank you friend! the carter 6l my car is different, as it makes contact with the front to be different from the model of the car to the truck ... I am changing the carter in my garage and do not want to open it without knowing if I should buy another oil pump, another format with ... means?
there are different models of oil pumps since carter are different?

If you are rebuilding the motor then I would get a new pump. Or if the motor has alot of miles on it then a new pump is a good idea.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
awbrown

I have always had a bad experience using a high volume pump in a 6 cyl. chevy stick with the std volume...
awbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
MARTYZ

I think the carter in our lingo is the oil pan, you may just have to change the pump pick up tube and screen . Pictures may help , when you say carter are you talking about engine or the oil pan?? Sorry not quite sure what you need!

Last edited by MARTYZ; 11-22-2013 at 08:08 PM.
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
Sharps40
Account Suspended

He is putting a 230 I6 car engine in a truck. The sump on the Car oil pan makes contact with the Truck frame/crossmember because the Truck Oil Pan is different than the Car Oil Pan.

I believe he is asking, if he swaps oil pans to get the car engine in the truck, should he also change the oil pump.

My answer, if it was running fine in the car and had good oil pressure, it will run fine and have good oil pressure in the truck...changing oil pans makes no difference.

However, you may have to also swap out the oil pickup to fit the new sump (lowest) location of the trucks oil pan...in this case it may be best to swap the oil pumps since their pickup tubes must match the sump location of the oil pan that is being installed

As a general rule, unless you are prepared to dig deeper into the engine, (and he says time is short) best to leave functional parts of the engine alone and just change out the oil pan so the engine will fit the truck.....as we all know, for every bolt you take out, something is bound to break as you go.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Espero que esto de internet inglés a Español Traductor de obras...

Está poniendo un motor I6 230 en un camión. El colector de aceite del coche cacerola de aceite hace contacto con el camión marco/travesaño porque la cacerola de aceite del carro es diferente que el coche aceite pan.

Yo creo que está preguntando, si él cambia sartenes de aceite para el motor del coche en el camión, que también debe cambiar la bomba de aceite.

Mi respuesta, si funcionaba bien en el coche y tenía buen aceite presión, corre bien y tiene buen aceite presión en el camión... cambiar aceite sartenes no hace ninguna diferencia.

Sin embargo, tendrá que cambiar también la recogida de aceite para adaptarse a la nueva ubicación del colector de aceite (más bajo) de los camiones de pan de aceite... en este caso puede ser mejor intercambiar las bombas de aceite, ya que sus tubos de recolección deben coincidir con la ubicación del colector de aceite de la cacerola de aceite que se está instalando

Como regla general, a menos que estén dispuestos a profundizar en el motor (y dice que el tiempo es corto) mejor dejar partes funcionales del motor solo y solo cambian la cacerola de aceite para el motor cabrá la camioneta... como todos sabemos, todos los tornillos sacas, algo está destinada a romper como vas.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Sharps40
Account Suspended

My guess is the shape of the car oil pan is radically different than the truck oil pan and as such, the oil pumps and pickup tubes must also be swapped.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:33 PM   #10
Minzer

try to be more clear: oil pumps 6l 230 cars, is equal to the oil pump of the truck?
the oil pan is different because the car has tummy in the middle and the truck has rear.
means?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Creo que es la forma de la cacerola de aceite de coche es radicalmente diferente a la cacerola de aceite del carro y como tal, las bombas de aceite y tubos de recolección deben también ser cambiados.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Oil pumps will be the same. Oil pans and oil pickup tubes will be different and are likely specific to the oil pan.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #13
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Las bombas de aceite será el mismo. Sartenes de aceite y tubos de recogida de aceite serán diferentes y son probabilidades específicas de la cacerola de aceite.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Minzer

Wink Re: change the carter ... now I want to know if the oil pump must also change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
My guess is the shape of the car oil pan is radically different than the truck oil pan and as such, the oil pumps and pickup tubes must also be swapped.
that's my question! Thanks, there will be photos in the forum?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Does the Spanish translation help any?

¿Cualquier ayuda a la traducción en Español?
Old 11-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Yes, you could post photos. I suspect when you have both motors upside down...it will be obvious what to change over. If the pickup tubes are welded to the oil pump or a very tight press fit, I'd simply swap oil pump/tube assemblies as a unit.

The gamble is, does the truck oil pump actually pump oil as well or better as the one you are removing from the car engine......Otherwise, simply swap pickup tubes but that will take some measurement to position the pickup in the oil at the bottom of the pan and then it is often tac welded to the pump body so it doesn't move or fall out....

Good Luck!!!!

Sí, puede publicar fotos. Sospecho que cuando tienes dos motores revés... va a ser obvio que cambian. Si se sueldan con autógena los tubos de recolección para la bomba de aceite o un muy apretado pulsa ajuste, simplemente cambiaría aceite bomba/tubo Asambleas como una unidad.

La apuesta es que hace la bomba de aceite del carro bomba en realidad aceite tan bien o mejor que la va a quitar del motor del coche...De lo contrario, simplemente intercambiar tubos de recolección pero eso tomará alguna medida para posicionar la recogida en el aceite en la parte inferior de la cacerola y entonces es a menudo tac soldada con autógena al cuerpo de la bomba para que no se mueva ni caer...

¡¡¡Buena suerte!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
Minzer

Thumbs up Re: change the carter ... now I want to know if the oil pump must also change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Yes, you could post photos. I suspect when you have both motors upside down...it will be obvious what to change over. If the pickup tubes are welded to the oil pump or a very tight press fit, I'd simply swap oil pump/tube assemblies as a unit.

The gamble is, does the truck oil pump actually pump oil as well or better as the one you are removing from the car engine......Otherwise, simply swap pickup tubes but that will take some measurement to position the pickup in the oil at the bottom of the pan and then it is often tac welded to the pump body so it doesn't move or fall out....

Good Luck!!!!

Sí, puede publicar fotos. Sospecho que cuando tienes dos motores revés... va a ser obvio que cambian. Si se sueldan con autógena los tubos de recolección para la bomba de aceite o un muy apretado pulsa ajuste, simplemente cambiaría aceite bomba/tubo Asambleas como una unidad.

La apuesta es que hace la bomba de aceite del carro bomba en realidad aceite tan bien o mejor que la va a quitar del motor del coche...De lo contrario, simplemente intercambiar tubos de recolección pero eso tomará alguna medida para posicionar la recogida en el aceite en la parte inferior de la cacerola y entonces es a menudo tac soldada con autógena al cuerpo de la bomba para que no se mueva ni caer...

¡¡¡Buena suerte!!!
thanks for trying to understand my poor English.
I have placed the car engine in the truck and I could not get the carter. I have to lift the engine to change the crankcase, I have everything ready to do just doubt the oil pump and esclareciste me. Tomorrow I'll go to the store to find the right pump and place. Thank you so much for your help and clarify my doubts. Here in Argentina there are few resources to keep our truck and is difficult to get spare parts. Thanks and keep telling them tomorrow with photos.
I tell them that both the engine and the truck they were abandoned for years. The motor runs well and has compression, not yet launched. is the engine of the car was never restored factory! the only bad news was that removing the oil was very dirty ... see-
colleagues, thank you very much!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #18
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Thanks for the help Sharps40!!!

Minzer. Sorry I couldn't understand! Glad to know you were able to get the info you needed! Hope it works out for you. T.J.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #19
Minzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
Thanks for the help Sharps40!!!

Minzer. Sorry I couldn't understand! Glad to know you were able to get the info you needed! Hope it works out for you. T.J.
thank you for taking the time to respond!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:49 PM   #20
MARTYZ

Thanks Sharps40, and best of luck Minzer,
MARTYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #21
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Minzer, put up a photograph of your truck when ya get it running!

Good luck swapping the oil pump assembly.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:03 PM   #22
Minzer

Thumbs up Re: change the carter ... now I want to know if the oil pump must also change.

I bought the whole pump complete with extender oil and filter (used) in perfect condition 2 hrs ago.
It only remains to know if I can replace it with the engine placed! ... I promise to upload images. thank you!

I also saw an alternator 90! a good price I buy in the week. but that's another post.: Camión:
Old 11-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
Minzer

to open the engine oil I found! no engine oil. to start it'll add 20 grade oil to clean and then change it. here are the bombs. observed

the pump is secured at three points, one of them to the bench. anyone know the corresponding torque? regards
Attached Images

Last edited by Minzer; 11-24-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #24
Sharps40
Account Suspended

No torque specification in my 1967 Motors manual for the oil pump.....There are specifications for just about every other part but that! Sorry.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #25
Minzer

bad news for me ... in bed before falling last perfect foot to attach the pump, so I did, and introducing the carter noticed the breakwater to stop oil and decided to take a small portion of it ... and so all the grid absorbs oil plays in the background .... I get frustrated and give the idea that the tube has to be 11.5 cm longer and clamped between the last bench.
I built the whole engine and put it again because I did all this work alone. I am truly very exhausted. very hot and humid in my city without shade. relieves me a bit to tell you.
As a neighbor with a new ford looks at me sarcastically ... that stupid not understand the love you have for mechanical ... longer have to hear me roar soon as this beautiful vehicle.
Thanks for the virtual company and as always, sorry for my poor English.
Hug and I'm proud of my project and brand. i love my chevrolet!