The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
melks

Quiet fuel pump?

There is an annoying droning sound you can hear inside the cab opf my 84 whenever the truck is running and I am figuring it is coming from the fuel pump.
I am about to send my truck in to get my fuel tank re-calibrated because the gauge isn't reading correctly, and was wondering if there a more quiet operating fuel pump that I can look into swapping?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
BONUSCAB

Re: Quiet fuel pump?

what does it mean to get your "fuel tank re-calibrated?" and you're truck should have a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the motor, that wouldn't ever ever make noise.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
melks

my fuel gauge reads less than half a tank when it is full so I was told the tank has to be dropped and there is a floating device within the gas tank ( I am not sure if it is a part of the sending unit or not) that has to be re adjusted so that my fuel gauge reads properly again.
and for the fuel pump you are correct, I am not sure where the sound is coming from I am going to have get a couple others to have a listen and check it out
Old 11-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by melks View Post
my fuel gauge reads less than half a tank when it is full so I was told the tank has to be dropped and there is a floating device within the gas tank ( I am not sure if it is a part of the sending unit or not) that has to be re adjusted so that my fuel gauge reads properly again.
and for the fuel pump you are correct, I am not sure where the sound is coming from I am going to have get a couple others to have a listen and check it out
Hi
i've "ajusted the float" but not for that,more likely needs replaceing
unless its aftermarket, the pump is on the block
some 79 Jimmy tank pics,yours would be close
you could check out the grounding for the tank(@ tank and behind cluster)
i had to add one in my 78 Jimmy when i switched over from idiot to gauges/tach and my issues went away(it read fine,just bouced when driving)
and some people find the float is damaged and is saturated

sounds like you wallet might be ajusted,before it's fixed
no exhaust leaks?

as for "ajusting" the float
I personally bend the arm up (about an inch or so,as seen in pic)to leave gas in below the big E
instead of the needle not moving off full for a while
with people running longer to warm them up and chokes working longer cause it's colder
Helps with frozen gas lines,and i think it's a good safety margin in the winter
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
melks

Quote:
Originally Posted by motornut View Post
Hi
i've "ajusted the float" but not for that,more likely needs replaceing
unless its aftermarket, the pump is on the block
some 79 Jimmy tank pics,yours would be close
you could check out the grounding for the tank(@ tank and behind cluster)
i had to add one in my 78 Jimmy when i switched over from idiot to gauges/tach and my issues went away(it read fine,just bouced when driving)
and some people find the float is damaged and is saturated

sounds like you wallet might be ajusted,before it's fixed
no exhaust leaks?

as for "ajusting" the float
I personally bend the arm up (about an inch or so,as seen in pic)to leave gas in below the big E
instead of the needle not moving off full for a while
with people running longer to warm them up and chokes working longer cause it's colder
Helps with frozen gas lines,and i think it's a good safety margin in the winter

Interesting, thanks for the reply.

Yes all of a sudden I got an exhaust leak about 2 weeks ago! what could be causing this? I figured it was a blown header gasket or something?

I had a 5.3 ls swap done on the truck so when it came to the gauges I chose to get my hands on an electronic gauge cluster out of a suburban (roughly 1989/1990) because i wanted to retain the stock look with the gauges and the manual speedo cable that normally hooks into the back of an 84 gauge cluster from a turbo 350 trans was not going to work with the new 4L60E trans...
The fuel gauge does give me a reading so I do know when to fill it up, but it just doesn't use the full range of the gauge from E(empty) to F (full)-I was told by a mechanic that the float had to be adjusted in order to solve this issue. I will be notifying him about your input thats forsure!
Old 11-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

my 89 cluster....may want to try lifting the ground from back there,make your own for the gas,that one runs all over too....

be sure to check the ground @ the tank too
Attached Images

motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
MalibuSSwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by melks View Post
Interesting, thanks for the reply.

Yes all of a sudden I got an exhaust leak about 2 weeks ago! what could be causing this? I figured it was a blown header gasket or something?

I had a 5.3 ls swap done on the truck so when it came to the gauges I chose to get my hands on an electronic gauge cluster out of a suburban (roughly 1989/1990) because i wanted to retain the stock look with the gauges and the manual speedo cable that normally hooks into the back of an 84 gauge cluster from a turbo 350 trans was not going to work with the new 4L60E trans...
The fuel gauge does give me a reading so I do know when to fill it up, but it just doesn't use the full range of the gauge from E(empty) to F (full)-I was told by a mechanic that the float had to be adjusted in order to solve this issue. I will be notifying him about your input thats forsure!
This is important stuff we need to know to help you with your issue, otherwise we'll assume it's stock.

Did you use an external inline pump for your swap? Usually external pumps are very noisy. I would suggest a new EFI tank and sender for an 87 model year truck, which should help resolve your fuel reading issue. Pair this with a Delco EP381 pump which is for high pressure MPFI applications, and it should be whisper quiet.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote