The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
fisherman56

Compressor

Hi all. I am trying to get a lot of the stuff I need to restore my '67. I just bought a used 12.5hp gas powered industrial portable air compressor for my resto and garage. I don't have 220 in the garage and I wanted the most for my money and the ability to move around or even take outside. I want to soda blast and sand blast as well as to do a great paint job and run any tool. this compressor puts out over 20+ cfm at 175psi! fills from dead empty to 185psi full in 2min 15 sec. (50gal. tank) Did I buy overkill? I like to think it's better to have more then you need then to have to re buy. or the old saying cry once. Any imput? Thanks!
Attached Images

fisherman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Compressor

Your right where you need to be. In all reality you might want to add an extra tank to cut down on the run time. I would however put it outside if possible because the noise and fumes in the building will be an issue. As long as you didn't overpay you did good. Your line of thought is exactly correct buy once cry once. Its usually cheaper to spend more in the first place.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
cdowns

must be used outside in all types of weather any use inside a garage for more than a minute or so runs the risk of death due to carbon monixide poisioning in fact i would have at least 2 carbon monixide detectors in the garage with loud alarms for saftey sake
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
fisherman56

No all you gotta do is hook a flex pipe to exhaust and you can run all day. without flex pipe just open garage door! I don't plan to work in garage during the winter! also I do plan to do a lot of outside work so taking outside is not a problem, notice the industrial cart its on? Try that with electric, LOL!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
cdowns

just opening a garage door does not prevent carbon dioxide poisining as far as i know but if you take the chance and trust a piece of flex pipe to save your life good luck
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
fisherman56

LOL! Millions of compressor and generators are used in commercial buildings that have internal combustion engines! Also heaters and your furnace all create carbon monoxide! The idea is to vent it outside safely, not a problem. Every thing is to be used safely and with thought.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #7
68c10airstream

Hi Fisherman, go on youtube and check out sand blasting using a pressure washer. The attachment is about $110.00 and i used one for the first time this year. Absolutely no warpage because the water cools the surface, and the rust scale this thing peels off is amazing. No respirator needed, even in OSHA's opinion, just goggles. Will not warp thin metal. Only downside is surface rust when you are done. Metal prep takes care of this. I did have to choke off the supply hose a fair amount because it used sand like mad. My wife kept the sand going in a 5 gallon bucket. She's a great help. Good luck, Brian F.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
fisherman56

Thanks, Brian! I will check it out. I like to do a lot of research before I even pick up a tool,saves a lot of heartache in the long run.