The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
savatreatabvr

Big Block Electric Choke STUPIDITY!

I can't seem to get my electric choke on my Edelbrock 1407 adjusted correctly! I've got it wired to the fuse box so it only sends power to the choke when key is on but no matter what I do it won't work right. I still have to feather the throttle until it smooths out so what am I doing wrong?
savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Big Block Electric Choke STUPIDITY!

They are fiddley to begin with, and I have adjusted a few on Holleys. So I can not imagine it being any different.

Have you twisted or rotated the black cap to adjust the time it takes to come on? It could be hanging up at the end or going to quick for the engine to warm up.

Last time I used one I set it up so it would be fully open at roughly the same time it took me to roughly hit the freeway or 7-11 in the morning. It would also be fully open at that same time so I found it convenient. I had the carb on a 350, 9.1-1 compresson, 265 comp cam, and all the bolt ons. So it didn't take the engine long anyhow or the cold cold socal mornings.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
savatreatabvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
They are fiddley to begin with, and I have adjusted a few on Holleys. So I can not imagine it being any different.

Have you twisted or rotated the black cap to adjust the time it takes to come on? It could be hanging up at the end or going to quick for the engine to warm up.

Last time I used one I set it up so it would be fully open at roughly the same time it took me to roughly hit the freeway or 7-11 in the morning. It would also be fully open at that same time so I found it convenient. I had the carb on a 350, 9.1-1 compresson, 265 comp cam, and all the bolt ons. So it didn't take the engine long anyhow or the cold cold socal mornings.
My 454 is cold blooded as H-ll! It takes a good 15 minutes of run time before I can drive it without spitting and sputtering! I turned the black cap until the choke flap was open about 1/4" but it didn't open any further after it warmed up and yes I've got positive 12 volts to the choke.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
INSIDIOUS '86

Ready for a holley yet?

Is it kicking the throttle open when it engages at all? Should kick to a pretty high idle till the choke starts opening.
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
cadillac_al

The manual has detailed instructions on adjusting them. That is on my list of things to do this week. These carbs don't have a choke pull off that I can figure out and they sure don't start as easily as a Quadrajet. It sounds like yours has a problem in the choke canister itself. It should open up completely in a few minutes.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #6
bnoon

I would start by rotating the choke coil just a little more to the closed position. Since you stated that you have to feather it until warm, means too much air is getting in under choke situations. If the high idle RPM is OK, leave that alone, but you may have to adjust it after closing the choke more just FYI. On my 454 Quadrajet, the choke is completely closed on a totally cold start, no 1/4 inch gap.
bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
savatreatabvr

Since the Edelbrock 1407 was a simple bolt on and go carburetor I figured the choke would be as simple too until a got cold here in Phoenix lol! I love the Edelbrock 1407 but that choke piston thingy inside the choke housing has got me questioning it's performance. I'm still a Quadrajet fan from way back so I'm going to put the 800cfm Quadrajet back on next time I get a chance. I think I can speak for us all when I say I'm really not that ANAL when it comes to everyday life but when it comes to my truck I want it running perfect all the time if all possible!