The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
Yewhi

Show me your pickup bed tie downs attachment points

Hi all,

I have a bicycle I'd like to transport in the back of my '55 series 1. Bed is Oak with chrome/polished stainless bed strips and hardware. I'm looking for a way to attach tie downs to the bed to keep the bike upright. I've come up with a couple of options but the all seem fairly obtrusive and detract from the look of the bed.

I'd be really interested to see if you all have come up with better ways of either hiding the attachment points or making them more aesthetically acceptable.

Thanks in advance! Really looking forward to getting the two of these together!

Yewhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Show me your pickup bed tie downs attachment points

That's a rough one when both the truck and bike are really nice.

This is for the idea an not any suggestion that you buy it. The front tire of the bike sets in the pieces on the front http://www.rei.com/product/854786/ya...ler-bike-mount

Another link for the Yakima bike racks http://www.rackwarehouse.com/yakima-...ike-racks.html

You might even find something like that on Craigslist or in a yard sale where the seller has gone in a different direction. A padded base to set it upright in the bed and prevent scratching and you would be good to go.

you still would have to have tie downs to hold the bike in place but the plastic ones with the eye bolts that go in the stake pockets most likely wouldn't hurt the paint. And you wouldn't have any real force on them like you would holding a Harley down.

Some of those photos/drawings might give you some ideas for fabricating your own rack. I've got a chopper bicycle with one of those little gas engines on it that I plan to carry in the back of the 48 at times and have been thinking about how to haul it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
Yewhi

Thanks!

I have a very similar Yakima rack with the same clamping mechanism on my daily driver. Unfortunately it won't work on this bike because of the fenders. The fenders extend too far toward the rear on the front wheel and the rack won't clamp without crushing the fender.

You have given me a few ideas for a rail of sorts. This is a tough one. I neglected to mention that the use of the bed pockets is out since I run a set of oak bed rails. Ultimately, I may end up using a removable loop mounted through one of the boards and the plugging the hole with a polished blot when not in use. Not my favorite option but maybe the best one.

Thanks again!
Yewhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
OrrieG

Not installed yet but will have hooks on the bed inside stake pockets at the top and bottom. Before I had hooks on the outside and eye bolt in the wood for my motorcycle and securing tarps, etc. This time want to have everything inside so it doesn't interfere with the bed cover.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote