The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
La Zona Imagery

Am I Being Unreasonable To Think I Could Get Airbag Suspension Installed for 2k?

I was quoted $4500 for a complete airbag install on a 65 C10. This included cnotch and raising the bed. I was hoping I could get something installed for around 2k. I am not necessarily looking to lay frame if that increases the cost...just want a comfy ride and a mean stance when parked.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
joedoh

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable To Think I Could Get Airbag Suspension Installed for 2k?

bags alone are going to be 300, then you need valves and compressor and tank even a manual setup will run in the 500 dollar range (single compressor) if you want a 4 way electric setup figure 12-1400 (still only one compressor), then brackets and notches, 2-300, then raise the bedfloor 3-500. All of that will get you no where near the ground in the front, you will need spindles to get the front to touch and you cant lay frame without a z or a porterbuilt crossmember, and all of that still doesnt include shocks and install.

most guys who try to do air suspension on the cheap end up with cheap air suspension. You might get a deal on some parts on craigslist, but the usual rule of thumb is to go new on bags, valves, and compressors. Prices I quoted are from store.gaugemagazine.com, which is about the least expensive way to do any air ride setup.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
jhrusk

Re: Am I Being Unreasonable To Think I Could Get Airbag Suspension Installed for 2k?

if you go with a complete bolt in kit the cost of parts will be a somewhat higher therefore you may save on labor expense. If you go with cheaper kits or make your own there will be a lot of labor expense. I think you would be hard pressed to get a complete install for 2k.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
slowcpe

I know Ridetech has their Stage I air ride kit for $2200. That's equipment only, no labor. I believe they told me aired out it would be roughly a 5/7 drop give or take. It would probably be wise to install at least a c-notch but I think they told me I didn't have to.

With that said I'm sure you can get a kit put together for less but you won't be "laying frame". Anything more than what is stated above and yeah you will be looking at quite a bit more money to do it right.

This is the route I was going to go originally, but have since decided to do the chassis right the first time. There's nothing wrong with installing a basic air ride kit and have been told it will still ride good. I'm not into laying frame either and do not want to modify my bed. However I'm looking for a great handling/riding truck with an air-management system as opposed to an analog kit.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
evolve520

I see kits for $1k advertised here and through other sites. I can't imagine labor would be more than another $1K to install one of those kits
evolve520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Snailed

If you could get your truck done for a couple thousand I bet it would be a hack job.

One 8hr chunk of labor for one guy is usually billed out between $450-600 at any hotrod shop that knows what they are doing. Are you expecting them to prep and paint any where the truck is cut? Are the new parts painted or coated? Is the suspension lined up and ready to drive? Brakes bled? Road tested? What about wiring and hoses, can it be draped all over or should it look good? Who pays for all this...

Add part$ and a less than perfect old vehicle (rusty bolts, bent parts etc..) and $4500 sounds extremely inexpensive to me especially with raising the bed and modifying the frame.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
La Zona Imagery

Ok thanks for the info guys! Looks like I need to save up a bit more for a good setup!
Old 12-03-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
NEWFISHER

Contact Borris, he's a member here and offers great deals. Here's a link to bag a 65 that he did with his inexpensive kit.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=575686
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
La Zona Imagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Contact Borris, he's a member here and offers great deals. Here's a link to bag a 65 that he did with his inexpensive kit.
http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=575686
Thanks for the info! Looks good.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
mano

I think it would be pretty hard to find a decent shop to do all that labor for a grand. People forget about all the little extras that don't come with kits. I know it sounds petty but, hardware, fittings, cut off wheels, tape, wiring, clamps and covering for air lines etc. Plus the time it takes to drive back and forth to parts stores. That crap adds up. Not to mention, the time it takes chasing the stuff down, shipping parts so on and so on. Then you need spindels, drop shocks, panhard bar (unless you don't want your wheels tracking right). It not rocket science but there is a lot more then you think. Im sure people will disagree with me, but ive bagged trucks I know. I don't really know what all your getting for 4500 but if its installed right, fab work in raising the bed floor parts & labor I think that a fare price. Or try and do yourself and save the labor, there are lot of great guys on here and build threads to learn from.

Last edited by mano; 12-03-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: spelling
mano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post
I think it would be pretty hard to find a decent shop to do all that labor for a grand. People forget about all the little extras that don't come with kits. I know it sounds petty but, hardware, fittings, cut off wheels, tape, wiring, clamps and covering for air lines etc. Plus the time it takes to drive back and forth to parts stores. That crap adds up. Not to mention, the time it takes chasing the stuff down, shipping parts so on and so on. Then you need spindels, drop shocks, panhard bar (unless you don't want your wheels tracking right). It not rocket science but there is a lot more then you think. Im sure people will disagree with me, but ive bagged trucks I know. I don't really know what all your getting for 4500 but if its installed right, fab work in raising the bed floor parts & labor I think that a fare price. Or try and do yourself and save the labor, there are lot of great guys on here and build threads to learn from.
Very well put. $4500 to turn key everything listed is a deal. There are shops getting waaaaaaaay more to do the same thing.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote