The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
supercharged

Wink No Mo' Low

I am not sure when the first pickup was lowered, like a car, but it seems that is the first thing eveyone wants to do to an old truck.

I will be honest - I ahave never been a fan of low riders, be it cars or pickups, but to each his or her own. Your ride - Your decision.

I will go one more step and state that I have never been a fan of the super jacked-up mud truck look either. But at least I can see how that stance has a practical use. Well maybe not practical but at least the truck can be driven down typical roads.

But its seems now that those are the only two acceptable stances for a truck. I am sick of hearing either: "You should slam that thing to the ground" or "You need to jack that baby up."

What happened to variety in this hobby? Even when a tread was started to addres the perfect "rake" ( http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480424 ) most of the replies were for low riders!

Rake can be positive or negative but not neutral (level) . The only level truck that is different would be a Gasser.

Let's start a movement to have more "raked" pickups at the shows and on the street....dare to be different.

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
― Aristotle
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
FetchMeAPepsi

Re: No Mo' Low

Quote:
Scottish by birth, American by law,
Texan by the grace of God.

Best. Text. Sig. Ever!

I might annex that sucker.

As for the stances, I like the factory stance. you'll get a lot of people that dont like it but some of us actually drive our trucks and dont want it looking like a 15 yr old d-bag used daddy's credit card to make something his friends might think is cool.

Or a 30 yr old trying to be 15.
And the 30" jacked up ones usually look like they should be driven in alabama swamps by the toothless and shirtless swigging moonshine. Wait till you've got one behind you shining brights in your rearview mirror.

for raked ones, high back and lower front are OK. The other one just looks like you're carrying too heavy a load or you busted some springs.

Hmm, I kinda unloaded a lot there. how about we just all put them on hoverboards and call it done?

"When everyone is a super....No one will be...." - Syndrome, The Incredibles, 2004
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
cg285

i prefer it looks like it came from the factory. whether or not it was modified it should still look like a factory installation. but i'm a minority. i like them "clean"
and "slammed" can't be made to look like that. rake is not for me but more acceptable
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

A thread for "Raked"
I'm in.

Pic taken around 1985

Pic taken 2/2012

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
NEWFISHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged View Post
I am not sure when the first pickup was lowered, like a car, but it seems that is the first thing eveyone wants to do to an old truck.

I will be honest - I ahave never been a fan of low riders, be it cars or pickups, but to each his or her own. Your ride - Your decision.

I will go one more step and state that I have never been a fan of the super jacked-up mud truck look either. But at least I can see how that stance has a practical use. Well maybe not practical but at least the truck can be driven down typical roads.

But its seems now that those are the only two acceptable stances for a truck. I am sick of hearing either: "You should slam that thing to the ground" or "You need to jack that baby up."

What happened to variety in this hobby? Even when a tread was started to addres the perfect "rake" ( http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=480424 ) most of the replies were for low riders!

Rake can be positive or negative but not neutral (level) . The only level truck that is different would be a Gasser.

Let's start a movement to have more "raked" pickups at the shows and on the street....dare to be different.

Trucks are like women, men love them all no matter what size or shape they are. Some guys like them fat, skinney, tall, short, blonde, brown, warm etc.

My wifes 65 is currently near stock. I will be installing an air ride system and will have the option to make it look stock, low, raked etc. kinda like I have liked my women over the years.
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
Blitz
Mr. Thread Killer

I like both raked and dropped simultaneously, so...thumbs up!
Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

We have many threads duscussing variety.
I think the thrust of Supercharged post is;
Although many enjoy slammed,
Let's see some trucks with actual rake.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
forestb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz View Post
i like both raked and dropped simultaneously, so...thumbs up!
x2
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
tjabv2

I mean no disrespect to the owner, but the maroon truck in the first pic looks way off to me. What was done to it that makes it look odd. (my opinion)
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercharged View Post

tjabv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
forestb

I think that the bed is shorter than a short bed. Like the back has been chopped off.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
tjabv2

Ah, that's it. It's shorter than a normal short bed.
tjabv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #12
pdxhall

Your truck is your own interpretation of what you like. There are as many opinions of what this is as there are trucks. You can enjoy what you like without disrespecting someone else's tastes. I personally like to see all the different styles on the forum and I don't really care what others think of my opinion on what's best.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #13
63burban4x4

petty much stock height on my suburban
Attached Images

63burban4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:34 PM   #14
LVPhotos

No matter how you look at it stock sucks! I have run the biggest tires that fit... stock. 31s on 74 c-10,33x10.5 2wd Blazer and Suburban. 295/50/15 and 275/60/15 mild drops on c10s. There is always someone with more money and has something lower or taller.
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #15
supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
We have many threads duscussing variety.
I think the thrust of Supercharged post is;
Although many enjoy slammed,
Let's see some trucks with actual rake.
You are 110% correct.

All trucks are great but I'm just tired of every show and thread full of low rider trucks.

Variety is the spice of life. (air bags are not the solution to style)

Plus I don't understand the whole dropped to the asphalt rage. The truck can't be driven that way so it only looks that way while its parked. A raked truck looks good all the time. (and the jacked up trucks are just plain dangerous on the highway!)

“To avoid criticism say nothing, do nothing, be nothing.”
― Aristotle
supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #16
AcampoDave

I understand what you're saying supercharged, but styles come and go. I personally don't get huge aluminum wheels, I think they are not at all attractive but lots of people dig 'em. And if you would have told me years ago that people would pay more money someday for a rusted weathered old truck than they would for a nicely painted one....

Last edited by AcampoDave; 12-04-2013 at 12:43 AM.
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:34 AM   #17
K98AL

Name:  back from paint shop 015.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  63.8 KB

Raked a little. Look for it in an OKLAHOMA backwoods swamp, I'll be the shirtless redneck, sans the missing teeth and moonshine.
Agree 100% with OP. It's your truck, but I don't get the slamming.
(how you gonna get over the stumps and rocks?)
K98AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Never been much of a lowered truck fan either, I don't mind a few inch lowering on the front and rear to level and lower the truck a little to make smaller tires look better. I am currently running 30 inch 15's on mine, I like the stock height with bigger tires so it fills the fender gaps better. Here's a picture of mine. Bone stock with slightly taller tires and when on level ground, quite a rake! lol!
Attached Images

TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
1963c-10

Only time mine is raked is when the bed's full of stuff being moved. Im a stock stance man. But I do like the lowered trucks and the raised trucks.....to each their own. Guess that's why we all own one and they all look different
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:00 AM   #20
joedoh

high school is such a serious time.

send me your address if you dont like my truck and I will give you a FULL refund of everything you spent on it. and if you want to put bull horns on your truck and paint one flat black and the other shiny red, doowhatchoolyke.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
slepysal

The great thing of building an older truck is that you have the choice of doing it your way,if you do not like a trend, you don't have to follow it.
I have always said,I build things for me.If you like it good. If you don't thats ok,build your truck your way.
For some of us old timers... lowering was being diffrent.
To many ways to bulid a truck...I like mine the way it is and in the end thats all that matters right?

Name:  Pu.jpg
Views: 2665
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  roof.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  43.2 KB

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #22
FetchMeAPepsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
Trucks are like women, men love them all no matter what size or shape they are. Some guys like them fat, skinney, tall, short, blonde, brown, warm etc.

[IMG][/IMG]
See My Build - Cecilia!
Some people are like slinkys. Not worth much but funny as heck when pushed down stairs.
FetchMeAPepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
MikeS.

Before spending time here I didn't particularly care for lowered trucks. But after hanging around here for a a while I've come to like them. But for me my stock height 4 x 4 is great.

Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447

Last edited by MikeS.; 12-05-2013 at 04:03 PM.
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #24
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

This subject interests me as I’ve seen it come full circle in my lifetime. As a kid reading the little hot rod books, tail draggers were popular in the late 40’s – early 50’s because it was cheap an easy. A set of long shackles could be made in shop class for next to nothing and drop the rear end until the axle hit the frame. Back in those days modified cars fell into two categories – hot rods or custom cars, and tail draggers were “customs”. Hot rods traditionally had big “pushing tires” in back and little “steering” tires up front.

As the 50’s developed custom guys could afford dropped axles or dropped spindles (or torched springs) and the whole car came down level. It wasn’t very practical however, and if a cop pulled you over everyone had to pile out before he could get a chance to measure, so the car would rise up enough to be legal.

Then the magical 60’s came along with the nose bleed gasser stance. I loved that period of automotive styling most of all. Stock height in the rear and nose jacked up was all the rage. I used up my share of coil springs spacers! And like all good things it came to an end when taken to ridiculous heights and cars fell over going around corners.

Time moved on and stock ride height seemed to come back into favor, until the current trend of slamming became popular again. At least now adjustable suspensions are available.

I never got beyond the old hot rod look, so most of my rides have had a nose down rake.

It could be argued my truck is actually higher in the front and it’s just the camera angle that makes it looked raked. But here’s a lousy shot where the ground is actually sloping downhill in the back and the truck is still nose down:

I prefer my own truck the way it is, but a lot of what I like about this forum is the variety of presentations. What I really like about the well done lowered trucks is some of the superb engineering that goes into making them work.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
Sick5
C10 CLUB Y QUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slepysal View Post
The great thing of building an older truck is that you have the choice of doing it your way,if you do not like a trend, you don't have to follow it.
I have always said,I build things for me.If you like it good. If you don't thats ok,build your truck your way.
For some of us old timers... lowering was being diffrent.
To many ways to bulid a truck...I like mine the way it is and in the end thats all that matters right?

Attachment 1183479

Attachment 1183482
Sick5 is offline   Reply With Quote