The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
dzbowtie

irritating belt squeal

hey guys,

i know everyone knows how irritating it is when you have a slipping belt. i replaced my fan/alt belt recently so its brand new, top cog. the other is a power steering only belt run directly horizontal to the crank pulley. every now and then, one of the belts will begin to squeal like crazy, louder when gas is applied! the other night it started and i couldnt stop in traffic, so i was like "to hell with it, burn it off" lol. sometimes it only happens after the truck has run and warmed up and then i stop for gas, etc where the truck is turned off and then back on. im not sure which belt it is. the power steering belt is not a top cog vbelt, but it doesnt seem worn, and not too loose either. i have heard that power steering belts need more tension than fan belts. not sure. also, for some reason, if i turn my heater on, the sqeal will sometimes start, sometimes stopping after a few seconds, sometimes not. i dont know if there is a small change in rpm that causes a belt to slip or what. all pulleys are lined up, and the top fan belt is brand new. the power steering belt is not bottomed out on the pulleys, but i did notice i could see some of the white string near the top edge. if anyone has any ideas, they are appreciated. thanks
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
cdowns

Re: irritating belt squeal

tighten your belts
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
luvbowties

Question Re: irritating belt squeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzbowtie View Post
hey guys,

i know everyone knows how irritating it is when you have a slipping belt. i replaced my fan/alt belt recently so its brand new, top cog. the other is a power steering only belt run directly horizontal to the crank pulley. every now and then, one of the belts will begin to squeal like crazy, louder when gas is applied! the other night it started and i couldnt stop in traffic, so i was like "to hell with it, burn it off" lol. sometimes it only happens after the truck has run and warmed up and then i stop for gas, etc where the truck is turned off and then back on. im not sure which belt it is. the power steering belt is not a top cog vbelt, but it doesnt seem worn, and not too loose either. i have heard that power steering belts need more tension than fan belts. not sure. also, for some reason, if i turn my heater on, the sqeal will sometimes start, sometimes stopping after a few seconds, sometimes not. i dont know if there is a small change in rpm that causes a belt to slip or what. all pulleys are lined up, and the top fan belt is brand new. the power steering belt is not bottomed out on the pulleys, but i did notice i could see some of the white string near the top edge. if anyone has any ideas, they are appreciated. thanks
Can u make it squeal in the garage? If so, remove 1 belt at the time until u find the culprit; then begin your diagnostics as to WHY. Also, did it squeal before u replaced the alternator belt(suspicious!)?
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
hamjet

If it squeels when you turn on the heater fan your'e putting a load on the alt. which would make it that belt. if you start the truck and while stopped turn the steering wheel right to left, if it squeels, its the power steering belt. at least it will narrow it down as to which belt it is.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
dzbowtie

Thanks for the replys guys. Will dig in and see what's what.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #6
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

As long as you're careful to keep fingers & clothing away from the moving bits, you can place a bar of soap against each belt on an idling engine. If the squealing stops when soap is applied, you found the culprit.

Also, make sure the pulleys are in alignment and the correct belts are used, and like Cliff said, tighten 'em.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote