The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #1
In The Ten Ring

In line filter suggestions?

Well, now that I have been successfully talked into bending my own replacement fuel line, I'd like to put an extra fuel filter under the passenger side where the two hard lines connect by rubber tubing. That seems like a decent place.

Where do I get a good filter? I know the glass ones can be hazardous. Any suggestions with links?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #2
Daner

Re: In line filter suggestions?

I guess my local cenex carries champion inline filters so that's what I use. http://www.champlabs.com/content/fuel-filters

When there are more choices I usually use hastings. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hht-gf2
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:55 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

I have one under the truck (was plumbed by the PO) and I get my metal-cased filters at my local NAPA store.
Don't have a part number but it looks like this:

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #4
In The Ten Ring

Thanks guys! Those seem like simple solutions! I await my new tools and a little lime to do this.

Many disagree on whether filters go before or after the pump but if I make my own hardline, and this location gives me trouble, I can fix it easily. Change these every 10K miles?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
Lattimer

I have one before the pump under the truck, and one between the pump and the carb. I use clear plastic ones I get from NAPA. If one is good, 2 must be better.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
In The Ten Ring

Laattimer, you were one of the first to give me advice on here and for that I hold you in a place of high esteem. However, everything I have read here on the subject of inline filters, leads me to believe that the clear plasic ones are only second to the glass ones in fragility and fire danger. I like the little colored metal ones by Jeggs but having one after the pump, especially if over the exhaust manifold, would expose my truck to a greater fire risk. Thoughts?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Daner

I haven't ever heard of the clear plastic ones failing but you never know. I ran one over the exhaust manifold until it plugged with no problems. I suppose not having a filter there at all would be best in terms of fire risk. I carry a fire extinguisher in the truck at all times; you never know.
49 GMC Grain truck 235 1 1/2 ton
76 Chevy 350/4 speed 1/2 ton
Daner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
TBONE1964
Cluster King

You can use one before the fuel pump but it will not stop any particles generated by fuel pump wear from entering the carb. You only need one and it should be mounted between the fuel pump and the carb away from heat as much as possible. With your tube bending skills are you also learning to double flare line? if so, I would get a filter that allows a hard connection in line without rubber or clamps.

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #9
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Laattimer, you were one of the first to give me advice on here and for that I hold you in a place of high esteem. However, everything I have read here on the subject of inline filters, leads me to believe that the clear plasic ones are only second to the glass ones in fragility and fire danger. I like the little colored metal ones by Jeggs but having one after the pump, especially if over the exhaust manifold, would expose my truck to a greater fire risk. Thoughts?
I thought about when i did it, but I run a fuel pressure regulator mounter on the inner fender. So my fuel line goes from the pump to the filter and regulator on the inner fender. The danger in plastic filters is in them melting if they lay on the engine, which mine doesn't. You can see it on the far left in this pic:

I do need to change out the rubber hoses for better stuff because of the ethanol in the gas, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

The one under the truck is just hanging in space, so I don't see any issue with plastic there. I like the plastic because I can see how dirty these are. Last one was full of junk after only 1500 miles, which I think is from the fuel line since the tank is new.

The glass filters are bad because they can shatter easily, and the gaskets in them don't always seal the best.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Can't say what's best, but mine has never failed me in 36+ years. I have the filter pictured above mounted under the cab, so it's before the fuel pump. And the Q-jet has a small filter in the fuel inlet.

If your carb has no built-in filter, it might be a good idea to add one after the fuel pump. But as mentioned, it's generally a bad idea to put one above the engine near the carb. How about placing it directly after the fuel pump? It would be a little harder to get to but might be safer.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
In The Ten Ring

I bought a Craftsman double flare kit but I won't get it for a month according to the Sears website and even then I probably won't get started until spring.

Here is what I thought about putting into the engine bay, I could do it without using rubber hose (I imagine) now that this flare kit is coming.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...60701/10002/-1

What do yall think about that just after the fuel pump?

Since my carb has it's own filter inside it anyway....should I even bother with an add on after-pump filter?
Old 12-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
I bought a Craftsman double flare kit but I won't get it for a month according to the Sears website and even then I probably won't get started until spring.

Here is what I thought about putting into the engine bay, I could do it without using rubber hose (I imagine) now that this flare kit is coming.

Since my carb has it's own filter inside it anyway....should I even bother with an add on after-pump filter?
Greg,

The filter you posted from Jeg's is for -AN fittings and will not work with a double flare steel line. These filters take special fittings and are more commonly used with braided fuel line.

If your carb has a filter (like a Q-Jet) then it should be plenty. The in carb filters do a great job at filtering which is what they are suppose to do. It does not matter how many filters you have before it, if it fails then you have junk in the carb.

The stock GM fuel system is more than capable of filtering and supplying fuel to your engine unless you are running 9 second 1/4 mile times. Then things just need to be bigger.

Old 12-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
In The Ten Ring

Well good! A case of "overthinking with insufficient knowledge" then. :-)

I have a Monojet is all. I guess I could put in the little in line metal cased filter the guy at the top of the thread suggested, like under the passenger seat where I have that rubber hose section (if I wanted to), and just be done with it.

This is very good news!
Old 12-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
67chevy1

The last 67 I had, I used a metal 1 under the cab and then I had a glass replaceable cartridge filter about 4" away from the 850 holley. It worked great.
67chevy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
tlcrz1972

The need for a double flare is only on brake lines. Hope the kit does both single and double for you.

Put a filter under the truck inside the frame rail, before the fuel pump. And gas it and go. And if the carb has a built in filter thats even better. Think about all the fuel injection systems in the newer vehicles. All the filters are before the fuel pump, and nothing before the injectors (as far as I know of anyway)

Quote:

1972 Chevrolet Cheyenne LB 1/2 ton finished restoration/rebuild 1995 350 throttle body FI, 4L6E (running on modified GM wiring harness) 3.08 posi rearend, factory A/C on 134A, p/s, p/b, late 70's power windows and locks and cruise, speakers in the dash + 6x9's behind the seat, factory tilt, 40 gallon fuel tank in the bed with integrated tool box, air assist bags on the rearend, sway bar up front and much more.

1972 chevrolet SNB finished 2002, 350 TB FI, TH400, factory A/C, p/b, p/s, (FOR SALE)

1969 Chevrolet 1 ton in work, home made PTO dump bed extended frame, 350 CI ,

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton suburban future project

1972 Chevrolet 3/4 ton p/u maybe a project one day

1966 Toyota Landcruiser my playtoy
tlcrz1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #16
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlcrz1972 View Post
The need for a double flare is only on brake lines. Hope the kit does both single and double for you.

Put a filter under the truck inside the frame rail, before the fuel pump. And gas it and go. And if the carb has a built in filter thats even better. Think about all the fuel injection systems in the newer vehicles. All the filters are before the fuel pump, and nothing before the injectors (as far as I know of anyway)
The steel line GM used for the fuel line on our trucks has a double flare end just like the brake lines do ( I attached a photo for example). The fuel line is just a larger size at 5/16" They used this all the way up to 1987 when they started with TBI.

Also most factory style fuel injection fuel pumps are in the tank and have an external fuel filter somewhere under the car in line so it can be serviced. It is best for a carberated vehicle to have a filter after the pump in case the pump fails, there is a filter to catch the debris from the failed fuel pump. The in carb filter on a Quadrajet is more than sufficient to filter the fuel.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #17
In The Ten Ring

Thanks for the pic man....that makes things a lot easier.

Why would GM double flare when not needed?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

The purpose of a double flare is to provide a flare surface that is twice as thick and hence less likely to crack.

You're making a flare that's folded down inside itself, effectively making that part doubly thick. It's all about safety.

General rule of thumb for all flared hard lines is, tubing 3/8 and less gets double flared regardless of application. Fuel, brake, hydraulic fluid, whatever.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #19
In The Ten Ring

Well why didn't you say so? I'm a bit of a safety freak....I'll double flare mine too.

Thanks man.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #20
Roush

Subscribed. Going to move my filter in the next couple of months.
Roush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #21
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lattimer View Post
I thought about when i did it, but I run a fuel pressure regulator mounter on the inner fender. So my fuel line goes from the pump to the filter and regulator on the inner fender. The danger in plastic filters is in them melting if they lay on the engine, which mine doesn't. You can see it on the far left in this pic:

I do need to change out the rubber hoses for better stuff because of the ethanol in the gas, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

The one under the truck is just hanging in space, so I don't see any issue with plastic there. I like the plastic because I can see how dirty these are. Last one was full of junk after only 1500 miles, which I think is from the fuel line since the tank is new.

The glass filters are bad because they can shatter easily, and the gaskets in them don't always seal the best.
Lattimer, Looking at your truck....Can you come over and help me with mine?

Ten Ring, I have used the steel ones like Stocker posted for many years and have one on my truck now, i have also used the plastic kind that Lattimer uses and never had an issue. That's not to say that some of the others may be better, i just never used them as my application just hasn't been that fancy. I agree one before the pump and one after is best, cant say i have always done so.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #22
MARKDTN

I see I am way in the minority, but I would not put one before the pump. Those pumps are not really made to pull through a filter. On my '83 K20 I killed a Delco mechanical pump in about 6 months when I put a filter under the cab. There is a sock on the pickup and if you put one filter between the pump and the carb it should catch anything in the lines.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #23
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've always put an inline filter underneath the cab between the two sections of metal line.

I have never felt that there was an issue doing it this way for the following reasons.

1) The fuel pump is happy to suck fuel out of the tank at the very back of a Suburban and along the frame rail to the engine. This shows me that the pumps are hearty and able to pull fuel happily.

2) The fuel level is above the fuel pump. Gravity is doing most of the work anyway. Once the lines are full, it acts on a siphon principle anyway. Pluck the rubber line off your pump and point it away and it will drain fuel out of the tank all day long.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
Lattimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Lattimer, Looking at your truck....Can you come over and help me with mine?

LOL----I've put a solid year in under that hood, and if you look at my build thread you can see the rest of it.

Body is still ugly but mechanically the truck is new.

And thanks for the compliment!!!

Old 12-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #25
MARKDTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I've always put an inline filter underneath the cab between the two sections of metal line.

I have never felt that there was an issue doing it this way for the following reasons.

1) The fuel pump is happy to suck fuel out of the tank at the very back of a Suburban and along the frame rail to the engine. This shows me that the pumps are hearty and able to pull fuel happily.

2) The fuel level is above the fuel pump. Gravity is doing most of the work anyway. Once the lines are full, it acts on a siphon principle anyway. Pluck the rubber line off your pump and point it away and it will drain fuel out of the tank all day long.
1-It is not the distance that is an issue, it is that you are introducing a big restriction pulling through a filter. Once the line is full it has about the same number of bends and it runs pretty straight so the increase in pressure drop is minimal from a truck to 'burb. Lay out a garden hose with 1 end in a kiddie pool and try to get a siphon going. Doesn't much matter how long the hose is, it isn't that difficult. Now put a rag over the end in the pool and you will see it is a lot harder to get it going.

2-This is true for an in-cab tank. Suburban and Blazer (and relocated which is a popular thing) are below the pump so gravity is not helping.

Do what you want, but my experience with below frame tanks is my experience. And IMHO it is still un-necessary to have 2 filters. You will be better off replacing the sock on the pickup and adding a good filter after the pump and before the carb.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote