The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2003, 09:57 PM   #1
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

Thumbs down >>>scam<<<

I know this has been posted before but I don't think it can be posted too much.
<edit link>
http://www.gaspumpclassics.com/newsl...erian_scam.cfm

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).

Last edited by lux hauler; 07-15-2003 at 11:27 PM.
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 10:59 PM   #2
tripp

as of 11 pm eastern time 7/15/03, the link is dead.
72 Suburban
72 2wd Blazer
tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:32 PM   #3
lux hauler
Psycho-billy Member

I edited the first link. It should be working now.
Here's another......
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/...in527883.shtml

Support your community, support yourself. Buy local, buy American (or Canadian).
lux hauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 12:48 AM   #4
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

great bit of info
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:10 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

in these days of laser printers nand computer technology its amazing what people can come up with.. years ago the rental manager at the forklift dealer recieved an alledged cashiers check from a man who wanted to rent two forklifts and a boom truck. the driver dellivered these items to the "construction site" which turned out to be an abandoned building with a scaffold bridge installed around it in a very poor neighborhood. The driver dropped off the equipment and by the time the manager realized the check was bogus the equipment was long gone

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 08:52 PM   #6
Dusti
Not Dusti,just Bob

Angry they tried

Thank you for posting that,someone just tried that with me,I knew something was not right,they wanted to buy my 1976 mercury capri that I have for sale,they used the same exact scam word for word,I cant even give the car away,I am selling it for $300,it runs and drives but needs alot of work,there is no way somebody would pay to have this car shipped to New zealand.
He was going to send me a check fo $4000.00 and have me take out my $300 then have me send the rest of the money to the shipper so they would come and get the car.

Why is it that I feel like I want to hurt this guy?I thoght it was strange that somebody would want to buy a car without seeing it in person.

I hope somebody gets these guys,before SMITH&WESSON and 44 of his close friends do.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:37 PM   #7
mooneyes

......wow...i just received an e-mail the other day with a woman from south africa wanting to buy my muncie....now i wonder if its the same deal?...she wanted pics but said if it wasnt sold she wanted it...didnt want any more info on it..and said if i couldnt send it to south africa that i could send it to one of her dealers in the u.s. and they would get it to her.....sounded a little fishy to me...but now really sounds fishy
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:42 PM   #8
Dusti
Not Dusti,just Bob

mooneyes4b,
so how much$ did they try to get from you.I hope they send me a check so I can frame it and put it on my wall to remind me that you cant trust everybody.

Bob
Old 07-16-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
mooneyes

...that was another thing i thought was funny...i had it on the hot rodders message board ( guessing thats where she,he it...what ever..seen it but i posted a price of $500 and after she says she wants it ..then asked how much i wanted for it...after reading this thread i notice more and more "funny" stuff about it
70 lwb 305/700r driver
78 caprice project
02 cavalier D.D ( hate it!!)
mooneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:14 PM   #10
ChopTop

As far as the original story is concerned. If my bank tells me a check is good-no problem etc etc, they are the one's responsible in my eyes. How dare they expect someone else to cover the money when they were the one's that said it would clear in the first place!?
Old 07-17-2003, 09:27 AM   #11
fatfords

I would be very cautious dealing with anyone or company from South Africa. Banking scams are very popular there. At work, we get at least one fax a week from someone claiming to be a "former South African government employee" who has access to millions of dollars of "surplus money." The story usually goes something like "the work was done and the contractors were paid and the remaining surplus needs to be disposed of before the newly elected official takes office."
We recieved one this morning claiming to have an $18 million surplus. If you send them your American bank account info, they will transfer the surplus to the account. Upon their arrival in the states, they only want 75% of it back to start their "new life." If my math skills are correct, that leaves $4.5 million in your account for doing nothing! What actually happens is, once you send your bank account info, the balance is transferred and you no longer have any money in the bank! It is probably very hard to track/catch/prosecute these scammers, since they are in a foriegn country and don't provide any real personal information in the fax.

Beware and Good Luck,
Kent
fatfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 10:09 AM   #12
Old Chevy Lover

for people that might not know this (what I've heard)- If you get a check, you can call the issuing bank and ask if the funds are available (at least that's what I've always heard). A lot of checks now days have the banks phone number on them. They will not tell you how much is in the account or anything, but will answer yes or no if that amount is in the account. You have to give them the info on the check (name,address,account number, etc to verify you do have a check) Can anyone confirm this, or disprove it??
13 Camaro SS/RS 6.2/Auto
Old Chevy Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2003, 12:32 AM   #13
rickspickuppart
Account Suspended

we tried to do one a few weeks ago and it seem's like the banks are gettin "tight lipped" with that information, if you are a buisness it seems to make no difference
rickspickuppart is offline   Reply With Quote