The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
gotsand30

column swap

how complicated is it to install a auto/tilt from an 84 chevy truck into my 63 c10? thanks for any info..
gotsand30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 AM   #2
AcampoDave

Re: column swap

The tricky part is retaining the factory e-brake handle. Many columns can be made to fit with a custom bracket under the dash as there are pre-existing bolts under there which lend themselves to custom bracketry, but the e brake ratchet gizmo is rather well incorporated into the design of the factory bracket. You would also need to make modifactions between the column and the rag joint such as using the D-shaft from the donnor truck and quite possibly the power steering set up too. I found using a modern smaller diameter steering wheel makes it quite hard to crank the wheels quickly with the original manual steering due to lack of leverage. I used to wrench mine around so forcefully in parking lots it caused the tilt mechanisim to spontaneously let go and the wheel would "crash" down into my lap. Eventually it was ruined and I went power with another column.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 12-10-2013 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typo
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
gotsand30

thanks for the info.. I plan on putting in power steering as well.. the owner thru in the pump steering gear and pulleys when I bought the truck. but like everything else to do this I gotta fix that.. I have an automatic tranny im getting ready to put in but don't want the floor shift.. cant afford a new or newer column. lookin at a couple on craigslist, one out of a 77 chevy truck for $25 and one out of a 84 chevy truck with tilt for 100..what would be an easier install in your opinion? thanks again..
gotsand30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:07 AM   #4
AcampoDave

I think they would both be equal to install. My buddy has a mid 70's tilt but it's too close to the chest for my liking and his e brake mechinism is structurally compromised (in my opinion) due to the modifications done to adapt it. I think you'd be happier in the long run if you saved your hundred bucks and put it toward an aftermarket column made for your application. Check Summit, LMC, ididit, etc and think it over.Take your time, enjoy your build and keep it safe. There's plenty of late model colums out there so evaluate your e brake situation well. They can save yer hide in a brake failure. I been there, smashed that mailbox. (But it stopped me)
AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote