The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2013, 09:04 PM   #1
altereddezignz

Decisions Decisions

Hello e everyone. I am kinda in a delema with what to do. I have a bone stock square body s10 blazer that i was thinking about builing. It does not run and drive.
But my dad threw me a curve ball the other day by telling me i could come get his 70 chevy 2wd and build it. Only issue it will be alot of work. It is a LWB so that would have to be shortened. New bed. Disc brakes and alot more.

The blazer would need motor trans wheels and some minor stuff....

What do you guys think. I am not rich by any means haha so budget minded.
altereddezignz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
67chevy1

Re: Decisions Decisions

I can tell you my opinion would be the 70 but wouldn't shorten it, do parts at a time as you can afford. my .02
67chevy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
altereddezignz

I have not always been fond of the LWB truck. I really do like the 70 model.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #4
jocko

Hmm.. A lwb doesn't HAVE to be shortened - but if it's what you prefer, probably best to do the math:
- how much time and $ to shorten the lwb and fix it up like you like
vs
- how much it would cost to be buy a swb truck outright
vs
your skill level with the bodywork/welding, etc
vs
SENTIMENTAL value of owning your dad's truck
vs
loss in resale value if you shorten the lwb truck (if you ever plan to sell it, but, never say never...)
vs...

Ok, no more "vs" - forget the S10 blazer, pick a 67-72 truck and you'll be happy you did!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
hugger6933

I might have some V-8 S10 stuff laying around. I use to build quite a few of them. The extra short bed stuff right now not so much, but we are not too far apart, my Daughter lives in JB and is a SR at ASU. she also works at the krusty krab.If I could help you on either project holler and we'll see what I can do. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #6
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Well I would do the 70 and not even think about the s10 but I understand your delima. But you could self the s10 truck and parts and put the money in the 70. Then take your time and build it like you want.

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
altereddezignz

Jocko.
I am very capable of doing all mods myself. The cost of shortening the frame will simply be in the driveshaft and the bed. Unless i fell the need to actually cut mine down. Frame is easy to shorten. The cost to buy a swb truck around here is almost impossible even if it is not running and is a rust bucket...
I am not worried about resale the least bit lol. I know it does not ahve to be shortened i just think i like the look better.

Hugger6933 Jim,
Thank you very much. Truck is still at my dads and i have not went to get it yet. The blazer i have at my shop already. Your not quite 2 hours from me so i may get with ya on some things.

Congrats to your daughter on b n a SR here. But what is the Krusty Krab lol???
Old 12-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #8
altereddezignz

Ok i have a couple questions if i do the 70 model. I was reading that i could use a complete cross-member front out of a 73-88 c10. unbolt and drop mine out and bolt the new in. Then i would have disc brakes on front. I would just have to do something with the back since i think it is 6 lug. I like the clean look of the firewall without a booster so i was curious about using a high pressure master cylinder for a disc, drum setup. Would this work?
Old 12-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
altereddezignz

any ideas?
Old 12-12-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
hugger6933

You can do the disc/front rear drum without the booster and have the M/C close to the firewall.
Also there are tons of companies that make kits to put the 73-87 5 lug rear in the coil spung rear truck with weld on track bar mounts and new coil pads and the like. If the truck is a leaf spring rear[it could happen] it would be much much simpler to change to the 73-87 5 lugger rear out of the donor truck that is willing to give up its front for you. From what I understand I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong on this but the Chevrolet had coil springs standard and leafs optional, whereas the GMC had leaf springs standard and the coil springs were the option.
Krusty Krab=Red Lobster
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #11
altereddezignz

HAHA red lobster.

This truck is spring front and rear.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #12
67chevy1

Smile Re: Decisions Decisions

I'm glad you clarified the krusty krab thing. Now that's funny!!!!
67chevy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Lot of really nice long beds in the long bed only thread. Personally I don't care what people do to their trucks, they aren't building it for me. Just thought I would toss it out if you haven't seen that particular thread yet.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:54 PM   #14
altereddezignz

ok someone fill me in. I guess this site does not like me b/c i cant even search and find the thread.....

******FOUND IT****
Old 12-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #15
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by altereddezignz View Post
ok someone fill me in. I guess this site does not like me b/c i cant even search and find the thread.....

******FOUND IT****
I say go SWB mod if that's what you really like. It's NOT a survivor so the value will be in how well you do the 'build'.

Good luck man!
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:19 PM   #16
BurlyCrew

BurlyCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #17
BurlyCrew

Old 12-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #18
BurlyCrew

Old 12-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
BurlyCrew

Mix the 2 LOL, sorry I couldn't resist
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #20
special-K
Special Order

Fix up the '70 and worry about shortening later. It doesn't "have to" be done to drive and even enjoy. Keep it simple and deal with a shorter list. If you absolutely can't stand driving a longbed I guess you don't really like trucks. So,if you must make it more complicated and shorten before driving,pony up the extra $2,500 and buy a new shortbed...unless you're lucky enough to find a decent bed that isn't already on a decent truck for a good cheap price. You'll find that layin' next to the needle in the haystack . I'm saying all this because I'm hearing what you have to have the '70 like along with hearing you need this to be on a budget.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #21
jae

Is there a limited window on the offer for the '70? If not, since you already have the blazer, get it running in a way that would maximize your return on selling, then put whatever you can make on it into the '70. That's just what I'd do though.
jae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
Hawghauler

I think the '70 is the way to go. S10's are common as dirt, and won't really gain in value or style points. The '70 is already a classic, and gains value every day it's on the road. You also have the "Dad's truck" aspect. Conversely, the C10's get miserable gas mileage and S10's do better there.
To me it's a no brainer, Classic '70 C10.

I just did a '72 disc brake spindle conversion on my '67, and got a 3.07 five lug rearend on cl and altogether it only cost me $300. Bought a new booster/MC, calipers, all ball joints, used the larger factory '72 sway bar that came with it w/new bushings, and original rotors and rear drums freshly turned, and new front brake lines. It also came with power steering box, $40 for pump, hoses and mounts. All total about $600 and one days labor(My own).
Now it drives like a new truck. I couldn't be happier!

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #23
altereddezignz

Lol i am stating i would like to spend as little as possible on the truck. Im not sure i know of anyone who goes out to say they are going to spend as much as they possibly can on something LOL.

I can do the fab work and shorten the bed unless i find one. I am not worried about that. time on either is not an issue either. I dont have to be driving either one of them tomorrow. I wouldn't even care if it was a year from now.

Not sure how if i dont like a long wheel base means that i dont like trucks but to each their own. Never said i wouldn't drive it as a long wheel base but why put the time and effort into to have to turn around and pull the bed and the cab back off to shorten the frame.

Think it would just be easier since the motor and trans will be out of it to go ahead and do a 73-87 front cross member to get the disc brakes. And go ahead and cut the frame while there.

The blazer is just an old ruff blazer. nothing special about it and i would have to put to much money in it to make it a really good looking driving blazer for it to be worth building just to sell for money on the 70.

The blazer has no motor or trans and the interior is kinda ruff.. I am pretty sure i have made my mind up on the 70 model. The good thing is the truck runs and drives now i just have no need to drive it b/c i have others to drive lol.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 PM   #24
altereddezignz

I am the type of person to do things in stages. Set myself goals and achieve those goals before moving to the next step. But i also do not like to back track. So i figure i will get the truck.
Remove motor and trans
pull be bed and cab
cut frame
swap the front over to new front end.
Decide on a lug pattern
figure out the rearend.
Not sure if i will static or bag it as of yet.

There are still a lot of variables that can change in the process. but nothing i haven't ever tackled before just not ever this body truck.