The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
coueshunter

Stripping frame to two frame rails.

Who has done this? I know I saw one thread where this was done. What did you do for reassemble? I assume that once all crossmembers are put in the frame it aligns and squares back up. Is this the case?

I'm starting with a bare frame, full porterbuilt extreme w/ body mounts with accuair, 22s and the works short wide

My last truck I used porterbuilt but it was a static drop. This one is going to lay pinchweld
coueshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Stripping frame to two frame rails.

I wouldn't automaticly assume that the crossmembers are gonna align the frame back up when they are put in. Be fore anything is made solid or permanent, I would take some "X" measurements front four set points like cab mounts to make sure that is square then maybe expand out to the core support and then the rear bed holes take a reading then do the opposite it should be the same or so very very close [that is where the X comes in]. If it is out you could take a ratchet strap and pull the way that is long but remember you only need half of the reading that you were off to make it come into square. Once you start your pulls then keep taking your readings then when it is on then you can make everything solid. If welding in take measurements often then to heat could but not always throw those off a tiny bit. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
I wouldn't automaticly assume that the crossmembers are gonna align the frame back up when they are put in. Be fore anything is made solid or permanent, I would take some "X" measurements front four set points like cab mounts to make sure that is square then maybe expand out to the core support and then the rear bed holes take a reading then do the opposite it should be the same or so very very close [that is where the X comes in]. If it is out you could take a ratchet strap and pull the way that is long but remember you only need half of the reading that you were off to make it come into square. Once you start your pulls then keep taking your readings then when it is on then you can make everything solid. If welding in take measurements often then to heat could but not always throw those off a tiny bit. Jim

x2.

The assembly plant used fixtures to make sure everything was square before riveting the crossmembers in. You will need to do the same.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I would also take some measurements BEFORE you blow the frame apart.
If it's nice and square,... do your mock-up of the rear notches and work your way forward.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
coueshunter

I'll def take some x measurements. It will be together and apart a few times with sand blasting, assembly, filling frame holes powder oat and reassembly
Old 12-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
coueshunter

Nothing over night either. At least a two year project to do it right
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you are going to re-use any cross members and bolt them in I would re-drill the holes as you remove each rivet and put the bolts in temporarily. The reason being that you want the bolts you are going to use to fit the holes snug, (you may have to drill the holes to the next bolt size bigger) and that way you know they will all line up. I would also use grade 8 bolts for everything on the frame that will be bolted together.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote