The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
FstCarsNGuitars

Bought a '68 shortbed Roller

Hey Guys! I'm new to the board here and this is my first post! I've been working on a '67 long bed I bought back in march that is a complete truck with a 283 ci and 4 speed trans. Although I've put some work into this truck I knew that I just wasn't completely on board with the long bed look. Browsing the local ads I found a listing for a '68 short bed roller with no motor, trans or bed To my luck the frame has already been finished and the core support as well and this truck is in-fact a TRUE short bed frame and that makes me a happier man

So now I'm at the crossroads of: Should take all the parts from the long bed and rock the current motor which runs fantastic and seek out an A/T trans for the short bed (which is set up for A/T)

ohh and I'm taking the '67 front end and putting it on the '68 short bed because the short bed has a 72 front clip

or
Do i sell the running long bed and start completely from scratch... on a budget.

What would you do?
Attached Images

FstCarsNGuitars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
hamjet

Re: Bought a '68 shortbed Roller

By your screen name it sounds like you like a hotrodded custom ride. sell the long bed and start your build with the short bed, new crate engine, auto trans with OD, lowered, wheels and tires, You know what you really want, and it wasn't a lwb. No sence in having two trucks in pieces. Theres a post on here that every ones going for a crate engine at an unreal price, don't know how many are left though, and WELCOME TO THE CLUB!! check out the other posts too. its a great forum....
Old 12-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
BADPURPLE70CHEVY
406 Powered

Congrats on your score. Looks like your shortbed has had the front clip changed to a different year if the title says 68. As far as your question goes its gonna be up to you and your funds. Starting with a shortbed is always nice but there are alot nice long beds on here. Good luck
72 4x4
BADPURPLE70CHEVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
FstCarsNGuitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
By your screen name it sounds like you like a hotrodded custom ride. sell the long bed and start your build with the short bed, new crate engine, auto trans with OD, lowered, wheels and tires, You know what you really want, and it wasn't a lwb. No sence in having two trucks in pieces. Theres a post on here that every ones going for a crate engine at an unreal price, don't know how many are left though, and WELCOME TO THE CLUB!! check out the other posts too. its a great forum....
yeah, preferably I would like to build something that is a daily driver with some power and I know I won't get a whole lot of power using the 283, but a reliable motor for sure. Most crate engines I've found are about $1900 up to the intake, which I consider a decent price but I'm sure I can find lower if I wait it out.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
sean1969c10

Here is my opinion because you asked, sell the long bed complete. That way one more of our trucks hopefully doesn't end up parted out and scrapped. Then use the money to fund getting the 68 drivable, you can always change the front clip, engine, trans ect later, get it moving and enjoy it. Thats my .02c!! Good luck and nice score by the way!!

"If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough"

1960 Chevy Impala Sedan - my 25 year search is over!!
1969 C-10 longbed - Nice day DD
1970 Chevy Nova - Street and Strip Project
2002 Acura MDX my DD
2007 Honda Odssey - My Wife's "Mommy Van"
sean1969c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
FstCarsNGuitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADPURPLE70CHEVY View Post
Congrats on your score. Looks like your shortbed has had the front clip changed to a different year if the title says 68. As far as your question goes its gonna be up to you and your funds. Starting with a shortbed is always nice but there are alot nice long beds on here. Good luck

Thanks! I've been reading alot on the board and everyone here seems really helpful. The front end on the 68 has a 72 front clip, but I'm going to take the '67 front clip and put that on the '68. Realistically I see myself spending the most money on the Bed.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Grumpy old man

strip the truck you have for parts to build the 67 short , there's no reason to sell something you already have and then start searching for parts all over again , it's easy to sell whats left as a roller project or part it out and make money . I bought 2 short wide beds this morning for $850.00 their out there just keep looking it only took me less than a week using searchtempest.com I found more than a few in the $400.00 to $1,000.00 range
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
hopped up

id keep the motor and other desireable parts you have for the long bed and put them on the shortbed. and sell the long
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
strip the truck you have for parts to build the 67 short , there's no reason to sell something you already have and then start searching for parts all over again , it's easy to sell whats left as a roller project or part it out and make money . I bought 2 short wide beds this morning for $850.00 their out there just keep looking it only took me less than a week using searchtempest.com i found more than a few in the $400.00 to $1,000.00 range
x2.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #10
FstCarsNGuitars

That site is awesome, I will be using that. I'm really leaning towards the idea of using the parts I need from the longbed because alot of them are in excellent shape and small things like ignition, weatherstrip, gas tank and all sorts of little parts I don't have on the shortbed will add up REAL quick I'm sure
Old 12-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Grumpy old man

You already have most of what you need ! no reason to start searching for parts when you could be finished easy . just the amount of time saved by not having to look makes it the smart decision !
Old 12-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
FstCarsNGuitars

So I would need to figure out what someone would pay for a 4 spd granny tranni and a rolling long bed that is in moderate shape
Old 12-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #13
FstCarsNGuitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1969c10 View Post
Here is my opinion because you asked, sell the long bed complete. That way one more of our trucks hopefully doesn't end up parted out and scrapped. Then use the money to fund getting the 68 drivable, you can always change the front clip, engine, trans ect later, get it moving and enjoy it. Thats my .02c!! Good luck and nice score by the way!!
I like your idea, problem is that most people in my area won't pay more that 2k for a running longbed that is in better shape than mine and from a price point I can maybe get a decent running drivetrain that's worth anything for that much plus having to buy all the other small things as well
Old 12-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Grumpy old man

list it for sale in here and ask for offers , and you'll get a good idea if someone wants to save it ,if not part it out .
Old 12-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #15
Grumpy old man

Always buy projects the week before xmas and new cars the last day of the year .prices are at their best more than any other time of year .
Old 12-14-2013, 01:52 PM   #16
WIDESIDE72

If you have the space i would pull the good parts from the lwb to use on the swb and sell the rest. No sense in selling stuff you have to rebuy!

Fyi if the 283 is i. Good working order, it will make a better "daily driver" than a later 350 crate engine. The new found power from a crate engine will come at the expense of lower fuel mileage. It all come down to how you drive it. I have contemplated buying a 4.8l ls engine and 4l60e for this reason. They are a lot cheaper than a 6.0 or even the 5.3 and still make more power than the stock 350's that came in our trucks!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #17
WIDESIDE72

Imo a 283, 200 4r and 3.73 would make a nice driver as far as a compromise between fuel mileage and performance is concerned.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #18
FstCarsNGuitars

Stumbled on this thread and thought I'd update it. In the last few months I sold the longbed complete and went to town on the short bed. Being that this is my first real build and a dream project and i will be building the truck to keep forever. I finally came to decision on going with a 454 / TH400 setup on this truck, since I plan to make it a weekend warrior anyway, there is nothing economical about this lol.

The motor I picked up is bored .030 and I slapped an edelbrock 750 on top. I've refinished the core support, firewall and control arms. Converted the front brakes to 5 lug disc and swapped out the rear axles to match, picked up some steel rally wheels, found out I have a posi 12bolt 3:73 rear end (which I was happy to see). All new rear drums, brake lines, hardware. Added the HD cooling radiator and bought '67 Fenders to match my front grille.

Last edited by FstCarsNGuitars; 04-07-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:25 PM   #19
67 cst swb

Looks like your coming along quite well.
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote