The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-16-2003, 04:00 PM   #1
1974StepSide
Play it Loud...

Lightbulb Re-Covering Dash Pad: Anyone here done it?

I basically tore apart my dash today for the "fun" of it. So now I'm wondering how could I recover my dash pad?

More specifically what would I use to hold down the material? Would a basic glue gun work? Or maybe spray adhesive? Both?

I'm thinking with going with some tan tweed...

Thanks

1974 Cheyenne Super Stepside, 350/400, Hooker Headers, Flowmaster Mufflers... Needs new doors, fenders, hood, and paint.

1952 Chevy Pickup waiting to be brought back home!
1974StepSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Interesting, as I may need to do mine...
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #3
ItsNotABlazer
The full convertible guy

I had mine covered by local upholstery shop. He used spray glue and leather match material. Tirned out real nice but expect to take extra time stretching the material to cover the corners properly. I think I paid him $35 or so to do the dash pad.

Brad
1975 GMC Jimmy 2WD lowered 4/6
1972 Chevy Trazer soon to be roadster
1965 Mustang 289/3 speed (friends dad bought it new)
1964 Chevy C10 (dad bought it new)
ItsNotABlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
81shortwide

I recovered the dash in my Nova w/some standard velour type material from a fabric store. I glued it w/3M spray adhesive. It has been a year and it's still as tight today as it was a year ago. I also tried "Elmers" spray adhesive, and let me say that spray adhesives are NOT created equal.
81shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #5
1974StepSide
Play it Loud...

I don't know what I'm getting myself into... but today I took off the door panels and I'm thinking of recovering those too. I haven't even looked around to see what the material is going to cost to do all this.

I'll keep everyone posted though.

1974 Cheyenne Super Stepside, 350/400, Hooker Headers, Flowmaster Mufflers... Needs new doors, fenders, hood, and paint.

1952 Chevy Pickup waiting to be brought back home!
1974StepSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:21 PM   #6
C&C Chevy

Side question. Where in the heck does a person even buy tweed material??

Current:
1986 SWB Silverado 4.3 / TH400

Past:
1985 SWB Silverado 305 / TH350 - sold 1995
1987 1/2 ton Silverado - FI 350 / 700R4 sold 2007
C&C Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:37 PM   #7
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally posted by 81shortwide
I recovered the dash in my Nova w/some standard velour type material from a fabric store. I glued it w/3M spray adhesive. It has been a year and it's still as tight today as it was a year ago. I also tried "Elmers" spray adhesive, and let me say that spray adhesives are NOT created equal.
Are you saying the spray can stuff? I didnt think it would work that well

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #8
gldevall

Quote:
Originally posted by C&C Chevy
Side question. Where in the heck does a person even buy tweed material??
I bought some from a local stereo shop. You should be able to order it from an upoholstery shop also.
-2004 Z-71 Extended cab with a flowmaster, BDS 6.5", 3" BL, 35x12.5x18 Trail Grapplers on Pro-Comp 18x9 wheels
gldevall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:29 PM   #9
82 Silverado 4X
Genuine Chevrolet

My truck is just a work truck but I am constantly doing little things to try to improve it's appearance. I just finished repairing and refinishing my dash pad a few months ago. My dash was in terrible condition with about 10 large cracks that were opened up from 1/8"- 3/8" with the edges of the cracks curled up. The vinyl and the foam was totally gone in the 3 speaker areas.
Here is what I did to repair the pad and totally eliminate the center speaker hole:
1. After removing the dashpad from the truck I used a die grinder to remove the loose foam and to widen the cracks until the raised edges were flush.
2. I filled the cracks with spray foam expanding insulation and let it cure over night.
3. I used a hacksaw blade to cut the spray foam flush with the edges of the original vinyl. Some spots needed an extra shot of spray foam to be brought up to the right level. I then sanded it with 80 grit sand paper to get the foam slightly below the vinyl.
4. Next I mixed up some Plastic Bumper Epoxy to fill the repaired areas slightly higher than the vinyl and let it cure. This is a flexible epoxy for repaing cracked bumper covers on newer cars.
5. I sanded the epoxy flush and feathered it into the vinyl.
6. I wiped it all down with laquer thinner to clean and soften everything then I used paintable rubberized spray undercoating keeping the nozzle back a few feet I create a textured finish and allowed it to cure for two days.
7. I then sprayed it with beige interior spray to match my door panels and allowed it to dry over night.
8. The next day I put on two coats of clear semigloss urethane enamel to protect the paint and dull the finish and allowed it to dry overnight before I reinstalled the dash pad.

Total cost was $35.00. So far this summer it has held up well with none of the cracks coming back. This winter will give it the real test.
82 Silverado 4X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 05:42 PM   #10
81shortwide

Quote:
Are you saying the spray can stuff? I didnt think it would work that well
Yeah, thats the stuff. It is "3M" brand, and it's called Super 77 multipurpose adhesive. Working like a champ so far. Just follow the directions for the extra strong bond. I also made door panels for the Nova with it.
I just found an article where the super chevy magazine guys made some custom door panels using a 3M product called #90 High Strength Adhesive. It says it is a spray-on upholstery adhesive.

Last edited by 81shortwide; 07-17-2003 at 05:59 PM.
81shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2003, 08:51 PM   #11
cochino12
It followed me home?

Quote:
Originally posted by 81shortwide

Yeah, thats the stuff. It is "3M" brand, and it's called Super 77 multipurpose adhesive. Working like a champ so far. Just follow the directions for the extra strong bond. I also made door panels for the Nova with it.
I just found an article where the super chevy magazine guys made some custom door panels using a 3M product called #90 High Strength Adhesive. It says it is a spray-on upholstery adhesive.
you got me thinkin, got any pics?

That's why they call it a shortcut Kyle, if it was easy it would just be the way.

86 c-10 SWB
85 CCSB
90 GMC K30 Crew SRW
1985 C30 Dually
cochino12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #12
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 Silverado 4X
My truck is just a work truck but I am constantly doing little things to try to improve it's appearance. I just finished repairing and refinishing my dash pad a few months ago. My dash was in terrible condition with about 10 large cracks that were opened up from 1/8"- 3/8" with the edges of the cracks curled up. The vinyl and the foam was totally gone in the 3 speaker areas.
Here is what I did to repair the pad and totally eliminate the center speaker hole:
1. After removing the dashpad from the truck I used a die grinder to remove the loose foam and to widen the cracks until the raised edges were flush.
2. I filled the cracks with spray foam expanding insulation and let it cure over night.
3. I used a hacksaw blade to cut the spray foam flush with the edges of the original vinyl. Some spots needed an extra shot of spray foam to be brought up to the right level. I then sanded it with 80 grit sand paper to get the foam slightly below the vinyl.
4. Next I mixed up some Plastic Bumper Epoxy to fill the repaired areas slightly higher than the vinyl and let it cure. This is a flexible epoxy for repaing cracked bumper covers on newer cars.
5. I sanded the epoxy flush and feathered it into the vinyl.
6. I wiped it all down with laquer thinner to clean and soften everything then I used paintable rubberized spray undercoating keeping the nozzle back a few feet I create a textured finish and allowed it to cure for two days.
7. I then sprayed it with beige interior spray to match my door panels and allowed it to dry over night.
8. The next day I put on two coats of clear semigloss urethane enamel to protect the paint and dull the finish and allowed it to dry overnight before I reinstalled the dash pad.

Total cost was $35.00. So far this summer it has held up well with none of the cracks coming back. This winter will give it the real test.
I'm trying this right now, and I must say it appears to be working great!

I just have to do a little more smoothing and filling, but the dash is allready 1000x times better than it was before (my dash was horribly destoryed) I've even filled in my speaker holes, and am either going to redrill all the holes, or cut larger holes and make grilles for the speakers, but I must say

THANKS for the great tip!
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:35 PM   #13
method2mymadnes

you can buy tweed rat here....
http://www.dooleyandsons.com/

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
method2mymadnes is offline   Reply With Quote