The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #1
Metalaroundstone

Opinions about replacing points with electronic module

I would like to hear some opinions about replacing points with an electronic module that fits in the OEM distributor. I have heard good things about the Pertronix Ignitor (shown here). They seem a little pricey though. They are over a $100. Does anyone out there have any experience with these or a similar setup. Does it make that big of difference in the performance of the engine? Better starting? Better idle? Cleaner burn/less smell? Are they worth the money? Do plug wires and/or distributor cap need to be replaced to get any benefit?

My 66 truck has the original 327. I am trying to keep it looking stock so I don't want to go with a full HEI distributor.

Thanks
Attached Images

Metalaroundstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
tincan1966

Re: Opinions about replacing points with electronic module

As many others will definitely chime in with varied opinions, let me offer one piece of advice:
Simply changing the internals to electronic will not gain much by itself. You need to also upgrade your ignition wires and sparks plugs to be compatible.

I do not have a very high opinion of Pertronix but given what you are wanting to do, there are not a lot of options.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
NEWFISHER

+1 It's your best option to also include the mentioned items for the " look" of what you are after. Tom at stoveboltengines.com makes a "mini" HEI for the inlines that looks like a stock 50's distributer. Maybe he has an answer for your 327? I have run the Pertronix systems with coil etc and have had good results with al of them.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
1963c-10

I installed a pertronix II in my 63 w/230 engine. Fits under the stock cap w/no modification. Simply remove the points and install the pertronix. I have not seen a big difference in performance, but it is noticeable. My engine idles a little better and about 1-2mpg gain in fuel. Just my 2 cents worth.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=619024
1964 Short bed trailer
1963c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
sodly

I've been wondering the same thing with regards to my original 327 truck. I've heard lots of bad things about Pertronix but some very good things about the electronic ignition made by American Autowire for our trucks. The part number is 38131. Apparently this is the only electronic ignition that allows you to safely run the stock voltage through the stock wiring harness your truck came with. Unfortunately, it is more expensive but, from what I've heard, worth the extra cost.

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
1restorick

I would suggest installing an MSD ignition Box. They turn your points into a low voltage switch for the box. You will have a series of sparks at low RPM and will notice improved performance. Here is a MSD 6A as an example:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-6201/overview/

Easy to install and you can hide it for a stock appearance.

It's a little pricey, but I've had the same points in my truck since 1992!

Rick
1restorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
brokenspoke

I'm a believer in the KISS principal.....what are you going to do if it dies on the road? I would use a HEI and be able to go to any parts house for parts if needed....I would stay away from the MSD stuff....for a hipo engine maybe...my 2 cents
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I've installed Pertronix modules before and never had a problem. If they had been around when I installed my HEI 20+ years ago I would likely have gone Pertronix instead, because I prefer the looks and size of the points distributor better. I believe they improve idle quality a bit, but the biggest reason I switched was the elimination of points maintenance. I've had decent service life with GM points, and horrible experience with Ford distributors wearing out rubbing blocks at an alarming pace. I'll never own another vehicle with points ignition. The beauty of the Pertronix kit is that if the module ever fails in the field (which I've never experienced), just keep the points in the glove box and slap them back in.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
71Sixer

I have not tried the Pertronix ignition module, but I will say after putting an HEI distributor in my 71 with a 250 inline, it really seemed to wake it up. It ran like a new engine after the upgrade and I wouldn't go back.
71Sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
bmacneal

I replaced the hei distributor with a pertronix distributor in my 66 due to firewall clearance issues. Everything works great. Keep in mind that the coil needs to be upgraded and the resistor wire to the + coil terminal needs to be replaced with a zero resistance wire so that the coil gets a full 12 volts.

I replaced the entire distributor, but putting a module in a stock distributor should yield the same results.
bmacneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
tincan1966

Something else I forgot to mention:
You will just be replacing the internals in an already worn distributor. Not saying yours is bad, just making a point.
A lot of the times the "upgrades" seem to provide so much of an improvement because what you removed was worn out.
A 50+ year old distributor is going to have shaft wear, and the lobes the points were riding on are going to be worn, as well, either one or both would cause less that original design performance. A points distributor is not quite as sensitive about shaft wear as an electronic, because the electronic requires a minimum and maximum "air gap" in order for the magnetic pickup to work properly. If the shaft deflects outside of that range, or the points mounting plate that the new electronic unit mounts to moves, that distance is changed and unit does not perform correctly.

if you truly are hard core about keeping an exact OEM look, I would purchase a reman points distributor and convert it. That way you are assured that the tolerances are within the OEM specs and your conversion will perform as you hope.

Bottom line, there is no sense wasting good money to accessorize a worn part. Spend wisely and spend once, even if it means waiting and buying the parts over a period of time.

Again, just my opinion. Hope it's useful
Old 12-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
64fleetside

HEI all the way, IMO.
64fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
cg285

. ignition never made horsepower. lack of it prevented it tho'
. aftermarket stuff tends to lack reliability, if that is important
. points have worked well for over a hundred years on billions of applications i suspect however it seems to intimidate the current majority - along with carburetors
. points can be "tuned" to last 50k miles or longer (if you know how)
. points are much less expensive
. having grown up in the gm dealerships before, and while HEI came on the scene, i would go with the points for maximum dependability vs a reman HEI or a HEI with aftermarket components
. should you wish to the advance curve is easily changed in a points dist vs HEI
. disclaimer: any ref to points, in the post, does NOT apply to those that came from the hot to go discount parts stores
cg285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #14
tincan1966

Not one of the "intimidated" here, rather just a proponent of modern technology.

Points ignitions were designed for applications and fuels that do not exist today due to EPA and other governing factors.
They are simply not as efficient. If they were, they'd have never been replaced.
Most any post put up here has shown that MPG and performance increase with upgrades to electronic ignitions, even if staying with OEM carburation.
Granted points are cheap, and boy, adjusting them all the time is fun!!
I do agree that a properly set up points ignition could provide several years of use and for most, who will never drive their trucks 50K miles, they'll last forever.

Aftermarket ignitions are very reliable. The bad reputation given to them can be accredited to E-bay and other sources who promote cheap knock-offs and imitations/fakes of quality parts.

I am a loyal MSD user, and yes I pay a bit more, but have never had a failure due to the craftsmanship. I inadvertently missed a ground connection and caused an igniton control box failure.