The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
roger pickens

Question carpet?

Going to install carpet in a day or two,weather permiting.My question is do the plastic housings for the retractable portion of the seat belts just pop off? I was able to move them some what but didn't over do it,as not to split them.Or should I just cut the carpet around them?
roger pickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
msgdsrf

Re: carpet?

+1
msgdsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
TxTan

Just received my carpet from Stock Interiors. Kinda wondering the same thing?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
DaHos

Using a hair drier to warm them up will help keep them from cracking, just warm up the lower as you wiggle and pull up. But the next part is a treat on the drivers side, If you still have the in-cab tank access to the retractor bolt is a B**** ! If you get it out your good to go....................................or just slit the carpet and tuck.....all done!
Old 12-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
kcsa75

You shouldn't have to do any cutting. Those plastic pieces should move enough that you can get to the bolt to remove the whole thing. If they are original seat belts, it's probably a good idea to replace them too.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
roger pickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
I don't remember having any issues with removing the passenger bolt, and I've got the in cab tank. Seems like I just got under the truck and loosened the bolt from below the floor. Use an impact wrench
thanks for the reply. at least on my old 70 the bolt has to come out from the top. there is a large square nut but, it cant be turned. the head of the bolt is under the plastic cover. didn't want to break something that was made over yonder and paid for over here!
Old 12-19-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
roger pickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHos View Post
Using a hair drier to warm them up will help keep them from cracking, just warm up the lower as you wiggle and pull up. But the next part is a treat on the drivers side, If you still have the in-cab tank access to the retractor bolt is a B**** ! If you get it out your good to go....................................or just slit the carpet and tuck.....all done!
thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure they would pop off,but didn't want to do something stupid. of course I didn't mention it was a 70 c10 shorty.there may be larger tanks,but mine isn't that close in my in-cab
Old 12-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #8
roger pickens

Thumbs up Re: carpet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister-B View Post
Yes. They just pop off, but it is much easier if they are warmed up, and even then you need to wiggle it while you pull on it with a pretty good amount of force.
You just won best answer. Even I should be able to do that.Thanks for the reply!
Old 12-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #9
54blackhornet

Do it when it is warm or inside , hair dryer on bottom of cover works well, bolt removes from top , not bottom ? Go slow or the plastic will break, do not pry up from below On cover ! It will break from age of plastic . If you are not anal about date coded belts, get them rewebbed with new fabric before you reinstall them. Just my opinion.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
roger pickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Do it when it is warm or inside , hair dryer on bottom of cover works well, bolt removes from top , not bottom ? Go slow or the plastic will break, do not pry up from below On cover ! It will break from age of plastic . If you are not anal about date coded belts, get them rewebbed with new fabric before you reinstall them. Just my opinion.
sounds like you been there done that.i had not thought about rewebbing.dont know what that cost,but I think they do it at a local chevelle supply.thanks for the info-411-fyi!