The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
soonerfanru2

New 69 wiring problems

Hello new to the forum and just bought a 69 short wide has a 5.3 out of a 04 chevy 4l60 e transmission it runs and drives real good. The problem is they installed a painless wiring system in the truck and I don't know if they got everything right. It needed new turn signal harness he had it but never installed told me that's why stuff wasn't working right so I installed it and this is what I got.

When I turn left signal on I get front left and both rear blinking and left light in dash.

When I turn right signal on I get right rear and both front blinking and both in the dash.

Also headlights on dim right light only.

On bright left only.

Tell me it's just a grounding problem I hope.
Attached Images

soonerfanru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: New 69 wiring problems

-
Grounding would be my guess...

Read through this thread...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=422234

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

I have seen poor grounds do some really weird things, but I think you have some
crossed wires in the turn signal harness. Do you have two half moon connectors with the same color wires on each side of the connector? Some of the T/S harnesses have flat connectors with different colored wires than the stock and they may not be installed correctly.

here's the stock connector.

Name:  0507cct_pain_35_z.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  64.5 KB

Power for the headlights comes straight off the switch and goes directly to the dimmer switch. If you have one dim light and one bright light then the headlight circuit is getting power. I would look at the grounds to the radiator support for the headlights or possibly a blown bulb. Since both filaments are in the same bulb and the bright is working on one side and the dim is working on the other side it indicates that each bulb is grounded .

If you look at the left headlight you will notice that it has four wires plus the ground. Two light greens and two tans. The light greens are for the bright filaments and the tans are for the dims. One of the light greens comes from the dimmer switch for power and the other is a jumper for power to the right side bright. The tans are the same for the dim filaments. to test the bulbs you can just run a wire from the battery positive cable over to the left headlight and jump into the green and tan wires on the light and both lights should come on, on bright and both on dim. The green arrows are the ground wires.

Name:  Reg.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  0507cct_pain_06_z.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  73.4 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
soonerfanru2

Thanks for both. The replies. I checked the half moon connections and colors match up. The new wiring harness goes to both headlights and doesn't split off. I bought some grounding straps and. Will ground better tomorrow. Hopefully something works. Sure glad I found this Forum y'all are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks
Old 12-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #5
soonerfanru2

Well I installed new headlights a new dimmer switch. New flashers and new bulbs in the rear and grounded it in five more places. Headlights worked right after all this but signals were still the same, so I pulled the steering wheel apart and removed the signal switch and everything started working right. Go figure no bare wires and it was new. I don't know if something was in a catch in there or what reinstalled and everything works right now. Thanks for replies I just tried everything and something worked!
Old 12-22-2013, 12:48 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Glad you got it sorted. It's always nice to have everything working correctly....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote