The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
sixtwo

Truck won't start, help!

70 c10
307/350
points ignition

So after chasing a poor running problem with the stock equipment I decide to pick up an Edelbrock performer and a used Edelbrock 1406.
Also replaced the ignition coil because the original one cracked.
Basically the truck is turning over but isn't even trying to start.
I checked for spark at the end of the plug wire and it appears to be getting spark. Fuel seems ok and there is absolutely no change even if I pour a little gas in the carb.
I screwed up my my marks when taking the distributor out and had to refind TDC and all that good stuff. Pretty sure I'm not 180 off because I'm not getting back fires.
The only other weird symptom is when it's turning over, every few seconds it will give a slow lope and then go back to a normal sounding turn over.
I've spent 2 whole days chasing this and I'm exhausted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
sixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Longhorn 70

Re: Truck won't start, help!

Start with the basics
You know you have spark.
You know you have fuel.
You know you have air.

I am betting timing is off. Bring it to top dead center on #1. You can have someone bump it over a bit at a time with #1 plug pulled and your thumb or finger over the plug hole. You'll feel the compression. Then go to about 8° BTDC. Drop the distributor back in with the rotor at about 3 o'clock position. It will rotate to about 4 o'clock which is where you want the #1 plug wire to be. Finish puting the wires on clockwise and give it a try.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
RichardJ

Start with the basics
You know you have spark.
You know you have fuel.
You know you have air.

I am betting timing is off. Bring it to top dead center on #1. You can have someone bump it over a bit at a time with #1 plug pulled and your thumb or finger over the plug hole. You'll feel the compression. Then go to about 8° BTDC. Drop the distributor back in with the rotor at about 3 o'clock position. It will rotate to about 4 o'clock which is where you want the #1 plug wire to be. Finish puting the wires on clockwise
and give it a try.

Very good, but don't try it yet. Put the spark plug on the end of the #1 plug wire and ground the plug body to a clean bolt on the engine.
Turn the ignition key to "ON". (Not Start)
Rotate the body of the distributor CW, about an inch on its circumference.
Rotate the distributor back CCW and when the points open you will see the plug fire.
Repeat as needed until you can stop turning the distributor housing exactly when the plug fires.
Snug the distributor bolt down,
Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
Reinstall the spark plug or if you just used a spare plug, put the wire on the #1 plug.
Start the engine and check the timing with your timing light.

That is called "Static Timing". If you were careful, it will be no more than 2 degrees away from the 8 degrees you had the crank set at.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #4
sixtwo

Thanks guys I got it. It was timing. Did TDC one more time (5 times) and she started right up. I hope I never have to deal with that again. Now the problem is there is a brake booster hookup on the back of the 1406 that I need to block off. Naturally I can't find anything to threat into it
sixtwo is offline   Reply With Quote