The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
LuckyJoe

Help With Tahoe 3rd Row Seats

Guys, I think the rollers and assembly at the bottom need/should rotate flat when the seat is folded down. Am I correct on this or did I miss something? This one seems to be stuck in the upright position and I don't want to force it down and break something. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks, Joe
Attached Images

LuckyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Help With Tahoe 3rd Row Seats

Without going out and messing with mine, I think you need to drop the back first (lever is at the bottom of the back), then push the lever in the front bottom of the seat to allow the seat to tilt. I think there is a third lever that disconnects the bearclaw deal that attaches to the bar to allow the seat to be removed. I haven't taken it out for a while and every time is a learning curve on the level sequence...! I think they may even be numbered in the order they need to be pushed?? Also, I cut off the wheels since I don't roll mine around. Here is a couple of photos of mine.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-26-2013 at 05:15 PM.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
LuckyJoe

OrrieG, you are correct they are numbered 1,2,3, pretty simple and that is what I followed when I took them out of the Tahoe. However, I'm now mocking up the new frames just as you did and I can't get it to unfold back to the regular seating position....I'm sure I'm doing something stupid. Looking at your seats it looks as though the rollers end up folded up toward the bottom of the seat. Thanks for the quick response.

Joe,
Old 12-26-2013, 05:19 PM   #4
OrrieG

I seem to remember having a similar problem when I started and think I had to engage a round bar to get the bearclaw things to shut so it would tilt.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
LuckyJoe

Thanks OrrieG, I figured it out. You have to push the front #3 handle down to unlock it which allows it to fold back down to regular seat position. Don't I feel like a dummy.... Oh, another question for you. When you were posting about your seat brackets/assembly you indicated you would move one of the support bars back a bit. What was the reason for this? Your posts have really helped me a bunch. Thanks.

Joe,
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #6
OrrieG

When I fabbed my frame I thought the very front angle needed to be where it is to clear the seat hardware. I did not look at it closely until I had already fabricated the frame covers. It could be mover back closer to the round bars It is not a big deal, but moving it back would reduce the bulk of the corner cover and the chance of it getting beat up over time. The plus is that it does work well with the cup holders, which would have needed longer arms if the angle was moved back. I made a cover for it so it turned out OK.
Attached Images

Last edited by OrrieG; 12-26-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #7
msilva12

If you remove the side covers where the seat back meets the bottom you will see a spring loaded catch. Use a flat hear screw driver and you can fold and unfold without latching them down.

I am building a frame up to put into my 58 apache. I removed the mounting equipment and bolting up the seat to a frame using the existing bolts from the mounting hardware.
msilva12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
Daze57

luckyjoe
what wheels do you have on your truck - they are v v sharpe !!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
LuckyJoe

Daze57, They are Coys, 20" rear and 18" front. I agree they look pretty good from a distance but the chrome job isn't the best and I've heard the same from some buddies that have the same wheels. When they get real bad I'll probably go with some Foose Legends for replacement. My 56 Bel-Air had Foose Legends. Thanks for the compliment.

Joe,
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Daze57

ty for the info --- still .... v v cool wheels
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote