The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Johnny49

Ode to Mom and My Truck

Just looking for ways to keep the dream alive while the wallet remains empty... Came up with this little ditty Wednesday morning, thought maybe a few might like and be able to identify ;-)... Hope y'all had a nice Christmas and Happy New Year!

'Tis a chilly Christmas morning and next to the house
sits John's Old Truck, still quiet as a mouse
needs brake drums, a gas gauge and a few other parts
including a battery, to be sure that she starts

The job won't exactly be done in a flash
as is always the deal when you're short on spare cash
but patience is key when you're workin' a dream
and when she finally rolls you just watch Johnny beam

In memory of Mom it's all being done
and driving this thing will be more than just fun
a tribute to the woman we'll never forget
who'll be riding shotgun, on that you can bet!

J
Johnny49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
flashed

Re: Ode to Mom and My Truck

Very nice poem ,tell us about the truck and the connection it has to your mom ,Im sure she is happy to ride shotgun.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Johnny49

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Very nice poem ,tell us about the truck and the connection it has to your mom ,Im sure she is happy to ride shotgun.
Thank you, glad you like the poem. I saw the truck for the first time (as a 17 year old in 1981) literally minutes before learning that Mom had died tragically. My older brother had just bought it. He used it as a work truck for about three years, then parked it in the garage when he finished building his house. And there it sat for about 20 years, with me busting his chops every time I was over at the house, saying things like "If you don't do something with that truck I will," and "How's my truck doing?"

Finally about ten years ago his kids were starting to drive and he needed the garage space for another car, so we made a deal. We had it stored near us for another six years or so, until that guy needed the space too. Couldn't afford to store it anywhere else so it came here to the house, where we have no garage. Kills me that it's been sitting outside for almost four years, but we had no choice. Gradually I started doing stuff to it, replacing the gas tank, fuel pump, flushing the gas line, having the carb rebuilt, tune up stuff, etc. We finally go it running again in the summer of 2011, for the first time since 1984. Big brother is very happy it's still in the family and that we'll eventually have it back on the road. He will be the first to drive it when we do.

That's pretty much the condensed version of the story. I have the full version posted on the blog for anyone who's interested... Thank you again! With all the stories, pics and tips, his forum continues to be an excellent source of inspiration for me...
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Highsider

Quite a background for what I guess is a '49 Chevy pu?
We are ready for photos.
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Johnny49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highsider View Post
Quite a background for what I guess is a '49 Chevy pu? We are ready for photos.
Thanks Highsider, it is indeed a '49 Chevy. This pic was taken a couple of weeks back during the first measurable snow day of the season. Bed is in pieces in the basement...
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
flashed

It looks to be in pretty good condition .
Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
70gmcjimmy
GMCDAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny49 View Post
Thank you, glad you like the poem. I saw the truck for the first time (as a 17 year old in 1981) literally minutes before learning that Mom had died tragically. My older brother had just bought it. He used it as a work truck for about three years, then parked it in the garage when he finished building his house. And there it sat for about 20 years, with me busting his chops every time I was over at the house, saying things like "If you don't do something with that truck I will," and "How's my truck doing?"

Finally about ten years ago his kids were starting to drive and he needed the garage space for another car, so we made a deal. We had it stored near us for another six years or so, until that guy needed the space too. Couldn't afford to store it anywhere else so it came here to the house, where we have no garage. Kills me that it's been sitting outside for almost four years, but we had no choice. Gradually I started doing stuff to it, replacing the gas tank, fuel pump, flushing the gas line, having the carb rebuilt, tune up stuff, etc. We finally go it running again in the summer of 2011, for the first time since 1984. Big brother is very happy it's still in the family and that we'll eventually have it back on the road. He will be the first to drive it when we do.

That's pretty much the condensed version of the story. I have the full version posted on the blog for anyone who's interested... Thank you again! With all the stories, pics and tips, his forum continues to be an excellent source of inspiration for me...
Cool story, and family connection. I will follow along on your website.
I have a similar situation, trying to get the GMC K5 my Mom drove for 30 years back on the road again. Seems like the cash flow is too slow but it is gaining a little momentum all the time. Mom will definitely be our "lady luck" co-driver too when we get to start driving it again.

I do have a GMC from this era that I drive almost daily, but it has no family connection and all I know of it's history is a lady's name that last registered it in 1997, until I got a title in 2011.

Thanks---DAC

Rest In Peace Mom. "Dolly" 7/15/23 - 5/18/09
GMC driver for 30 years!

Last edited by 70gmcjimmy; 12-27-2013 at 07:58 PM.
70gmcjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #8
Daze57

v v cool !!!!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 PM   #9
Johnny49

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
It looks to be in pretty good condition .
It is in pretty good shape, actually. Really doesn't need much to be ready for the road. The goal is just to get it going for a while and hopefully we'll eventually be able to do a ground up restoration...
Old 12-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #10
Johnny49

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70gmcjimmy View Post
Cool story, and family connection. I will follow along on your website.
Thanks! Good luck with your project!
Old 01-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Johnny49

Came across this pic while at my brother's house for Christmas. This is how it looked shortly after he drove it home to CT from Missouri in 1981. He swapped in the red door you see in my current pics because of a bad hinge area on the original door. With some luck we'll have it looking more like this and goin' down the road this summer...
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2014, 08:58 PM   #12
flashed

That was and will be again a nice looking truck.