The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Pargolf

Speed-o issue - third post

Hey gents (and ladies),

My speedometer has a broken needle and is really just a stub about one quarter of it's original size. The odometer appears to work although I have no idea how accurately, I will check it against a few known distances around town in the next couple of days.

When the engine is cold, the speedometer makes an obnoxious noise, when the engine warms up it is less annoying, but still annoying. It appears that the gas gauge works (which means nothing in relation to my question I assume).

Anyway, any ideas on where I should start? If I can make this one work for now, great, if not I don't mind replacing and would appreciate any input or suggestions about repair and or replacement. Thanks and Happy New Year!
Attached Images

Pargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Re: Speed-o issue - third post

Does it make the noise only while moving? These speedos are cable driven, you can remove it at the gauge end and transmission end and flush out the cable as well as spray some lubricant into the cable. Hopefully that will quiet it down.

Edit: That stub is the back side of the original speedometer. The needles are removable and replacable, so you can find one at a junkyard. If you can't, I think I have one somewhere around my shop that I could toss in an envelope for you.

For accuracy, I use a GPS to check accuracy. If you don't have a friend with one, a set of mile markers on the interstate and a stop watch. Simply hit start at one mile marker, and time what it takes you to travel a mile (or more) and do the math (distance/time(sec) x 3600). Really easy if you can do 60mph, 1 min=1 mile.
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
Terry Crist

I would try greasing the cable as posted above. You can use some spray on grease or just lightly coat it in wheel bearing grease. If it still makes noise then you might have to lube the speedometer. Again some spray on lithium grease would suffice. The needle broke for a reason though. You migh need to have the speedometer rebuilt or replace it with a new/rebuilt one. I am sure there is someone on here that restores them.
Terry Crist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
71K20chevy

The needles are also pressed on. I used a fork to carefully pry the needle off on mine.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Pargolf

Thanks for the replies. I just got under the truck and see where the cable connects to the transmission and it looks brand new. Assume the PO replaced it. It looks like a clutch or brake cable on a motorcycle. Do I disconnect it and then spray lube into the housing, and do I do it from both ends? Seems like the lube would have some trouble going "up hill" otherwise. Thanks! If I need to post a pic, let me know, I really appreciate the help.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
landy

It can be removed from the speedo-side, under the dash. You need to be bit of a contortionist, but it can be done.

Turn one end of the cable and see if the other end turns to confirm that it's not broken inside the sheath.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #7
Pargolf

Okay, fully lubed the cable at both ends but did not work. What are the next steps, take it off and send it to someone or buy a repaired one? Thanks!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
TBONE1964
Cluster King

I sent you a PM.

Let me know and I can help you,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote