The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
Bigblock1968

New 68 step side owner

Hey guys! I'm glad I found this website because I'm going to have a lot of questions I'm sure you guys have already answered. But I started this thread to introduce myself and my new project and hopefully I can use it for advice if I gets stuck. Heres what I found, it's a 1968 c10 step side that has had what I believe is a 78 454 transplanted with a th400 behind it. I just got this truck and plan to get it running and street legal ASAP then in a few years start a frame up resto with my son.
Attached Images

Bigblock1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #2
Bigblock1968

Re: New 68 step side owner

So far I have been working on the engine, since it hasn't been on the road since 2002, I tried to take as many precautions I knew to ease startup. I pulled the plugs and squirted marvels mystery oil in each cylinder and let that sit over night, blew that out, and then started it in an electronic fuel pump out of a plastic gas tank. It started fairly well and since then I have flushed the gas tank, replaced the fuel pump,oil,starter, and it is running on its own power!
I'm pretty sure it needs a tune up though and here is my first question for you guys.

It has a popping that is randomly heard from the exhaust at idle and revved up... Someone told me this is from the valve springs being sitting for so long. Is this true? Can I fix this with a new set of springs? I plan on getting all the regular fixes first like plugs, wires, cap, rotor,and possibly a new carb anyway but I'm just trying to set my priorities.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
nds1968

Welcome to the board Looks like your off to a good start. We need more pics. I've always wanted a 68 stepside Nate

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Bigblock1968

Here's the engine the day I got it.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Bigblock1968

I'm in the middle of working on the brakes right now to get it road worthy. But it looks like I'm gonna have to change all the master and wheel cylinders to get it fixed
Old 12-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
The popping could be the valves hanging up, bad timing chain, timing off, vacuum leak, wires or cap cross firing, or a multitude of other things... The first thing I would do is get a can of SeaFoam and run through it. Just follow the directions.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
JHT67

I like it, you should give us some more back ground on how you came to own it, and of course more pics.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
68 Longbed Dan

Beautiful!

The brake stuff is definately a must anyways. If you're going for roadworthy that is . I remember driving mine in high school, and spun out through an intersection in the rain due to very very poor four wheel drum brakes lol.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
68shortstep
Looks good at 20-ft .....

x2 on the "brakes are important" comment.

I spun mine out at the first intersection I approached at 50 miles an hour, when by (bad) luck, one of the wheel cylinders leaked in the rear (caused by my own defective work) --- and brake fluid had ruined the new brake shoes. Wet pavement didn't help any.

By (good) luck, I didn't hit anybody. But it sure was "white knuckle flying" & "damp shorts landing" time.
68shortstep is offline   Reply With Quote