The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Vetter

Tech Help - What more do I need to lay low?

Need some tech support -

I have a 67 LWB, 4-wheel drum, 6 lug, no power-steering - on a bcfab.com air ride. I am looking to install the CPP Rear C-Notch Kit and I have a set of cupped LCA's on order (fab'd and bought from another forum member). I have had a custom 2 piece drive-shaft built and installed, but I am wondering what else I will need to get the truck to lay-out without any additional problems. I am looking to go low budget without converting to disc and adding drop spindles.

* Do I need to order an adjustable Panhard Bar?

* Do I need a Flip Kit or adjustment on my Carrier Bearing, or a whole new CB Center-Support/Crossmember?

* Are there any adjustments needed up front? (The steering center link already seams to rub the front crossmember when aired out and making sharp turns.

Any additional info and support will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Vetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

Re: Tech Help - What more do I need to lay low?

What you need depends on what you mean by laid out. You can't really lay our trucks out without quite a bit of modification or very small tires first and foremost with the front crossmember and control arms or a frame z or a dropmember. If you want to put the front crossmember on the pavement when its aired out you wont really be able to do it without drop spindles. A long time ago when I was younger and dumber I tried to do a budget job and make my truck sit the crossmember on the pavement and even went so far as to trim the crossmember where the bump stop tower was hitting it but it only put the upper ball joints in a nasty and dangerous bind. My frame laying trucks get a z or pancaked Crossmember and drop spindles and a pretty big notch.
Oldtruckfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:57 PM   #3
Vetter

Thanks Oldtruckfan...

I know it won't lay out flat without spending a bit more coin, but with adding the 3" C-Notch and the Cupped LCA's, what issues do you see that I will have and/or will I need to make adjustments with the location of Carrier Bearing, will I need to possibly order a whole new C. Bearing support/crossmember, and will I need an adjustable Panhard Bar.

I am not equipped with all the tools to manage all these upgrades myself, so I am stuck taking the truck to my local mechanic for a lot of the upgrades. I am in a suburb just out of Chicago and haven't found too many decent shops that do a lot of C10 mods. The shops we do have out here are way too expensive on labor...

Your thoughts?
Old 12-29-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

You will need an adjustable panhard or relocate the frame end of yours so its centered at your main ride height. You need 2" blocks on the trailing arms most of the time. The carrier seems to be fine on most of my builds until I start getting crazy low. Some guys shim the rear end angle to get a better pinion angle. I never did anything with the center link and tie rods but if your center link is hitting any more than slightly you need to check for slop at the pitman arm and the drag link.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #5
67ctener

Sounds like your as low as you can go without spending big money.
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Vetter

Thanks guys... I will order a Panhard Bar and hope for the best...

67ctener - I was actually checking out your build earlier today. Do you have any updated pics from your build? It was looking good and giving me the motivation and ideas for more upgrades
Old 12-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
67ctener

Unfortunately I didn't stay up on it. I was doing 4.5/7" drop and just wasn't low enough. I now have it bagged and saving up for an air management kit. One of these days I need to add some pics
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 01:11 AM   #8
Oldtruckfanatic
Truck junkie

Hey we all have a budget. If I didn't weld and fabricate I couldn't afford to build my own trucks lol.