The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
theredmeadow

Love/Hate relationship

Pick your brains a bit. Thank you to all who contribute to this forum.

My wife and I are big fans of our 70 C10 we picked up over the summer. There's just a lot of work to do on the truck and I know most of you have all gone through similar emotions. You ever felt like giving up and selling the truck?? Felt overwhelmed and thought there was never going to be a finished product and just wanted to sell it but then come to your senses and realize that you have an amazingly looking truck and that some day it'll get there... I gotta say coming to this site and reading posts and looking at all the pictures it inspires me to keep going. As much as the site inspires me, I find most of my inspiration from my wife who keeps reminding me its a process and it'll take time. Any of you feel the same conflicting emotions towards these sweet looking trucks?

Also, share if you would, how long it took you all to complete or how long you've been working on your project? Thanks for sharing.
theredmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 AM   #2
cool68

Re: Love/Hate relationship

yep, at times it can be tough to move forward. post some photos of your truck, and more info on it. a lot depends on your skills, tools, budget and amount of time that you have to work on it. no one can predict how long a project will take.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
theredmeadow

when we first got it it was lowered

I raised the rear about a month later

then 2 weeks later I raised the front and now it's back to stock height.

I've hooked the heater back up, changed the spark plugs, wires, and I'm about to purchase new rims and tires thanks to my wife's christmas gift.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:01 AM   #4
Dingfodgy
Lemme show you something!!

Ive learned that banging on vintage tin is more about the process than the product. I personally do it to enjoy some "me" time and as an outlet for what little creativity I have left. Sure, when I focus solely one the desired result and see how far away that goal is, I get totally discouraged. That's when I crack open another barley-pop and redirect my thoughts to the immediate task at hand. The trick is to break the whole project down into a bunch of smaller "bite-sized" tasks. I've been trying to keep a photo-diary of my project, so when I lose my mojo, I can look back and see how far I've actually come.
These things always run hot-n-cold, much like a marriage. If you persevere the rewards are worth the effort.
Good Luck and enjoy the journey!

BTW, nice lookin' ride.
'95 BMW 325i ("Joy")
Dingfodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
JointTech

i dont have any desire to get rid of it but I do get bogged down. Things that you would think would be easy never are. I like the process but sometimes things get annoying. When you do finally finish it feels good and its on to the next thing that bogs you down
My wife never says anything about the truck other than why have we been insuring it for 2 years and you still have to borrow your friends to go to Home Depot.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
mmiddle

My first one '69, I spent 17 years driving and amassing everything for a frame-off. Then had to sell it due to growing family. 10 years later (7/2013) I brought home my '70. This one is a full frame-off resto-mod.
Yes the process is daunting either way and expensive. The hours and hours, blood, sweat, tears and dollars will all be worth it each time you fire it up. Every time some one watches you go by, every compliment makes it all better.
Yes, they are a Love/Hate relationship. But the flip side is to go buy a new truck and pay $500 a month for 6 years and have just one of 10 exactly like it sitting in a mall parking lot or you can have the only one like it sitting in that same parking lot.
2014 2SS/RS black on black Camaro (Betty)
2006 Pontiac SOLSTICE silver/black (Lula-Bell)
1970 C/10 Short Wide (Peggy)
1964 C/10 Short Step (Hambone)
RIP Jimmy Hamilton Thank you for the trucks
mmiddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

These feelings you have are normal.Building one of these is like eating an Elephant,you jus have to do it one bite at a time.
I don't worry too much about how far I have to go,I focus on what's next and how to achieve that without having the truck down for too long.Being able to drive it between projects helps keep me wanting to improve it even more.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
sstaten69

Oh I think we are really never done, been working with my son on his and he gets the hardlies at times but he does know that it will get done someday.. he has helped on the Chevelle and our nova.. so know he is learning about the other side of working on a old classic.. (the hard work and know the moneys part)
sstaten69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

They're never done... take note to the years posted...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=609973
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:29 PM   #10
Jayschevy

I was like you. I had an 88 Chevy truck that I worked on for 3 years and rarely drove it so I sold it. I bought my 71 a year and a half ago. But now I do things diferently. I drive the truck a lot more which brings more enjoyment for times when the truck is down. We must remember that these trucks are 40+ years old. On occassions it has taken me a few hrs to remove a few bolts due to their condition. Fixing up these trucks is a journey that can take years. I do it because I like it plus it gets me out of the house away from all the women in my house.
Jayschevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
hugger6933

Some people work on their trucks as an outlet or can't wait to get out to the shop to touch the old iron. Me I own a body shop, and when I get done for the day the last thing I want to do is more work on a truck body work included. I do love my old trucks, I am building three of them I enjoy the building end more than the keeping end. I never have been big on keeping one ride for long periods of time, I want others to enjoy them as well. They are different things to different people. That is part of the fun. Like I tell my dad about building wrecks, if it were easy everyone would do it. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #12
Mr Chevorlet
Rusty Nuts

Well like all of us I did get weary and exhausted about ever finding the end of my truck build,Still not there but the thoughts of selling it will not happen because it was my dads truck and then passed to me. And when I am done with the build I will enjoy it and then it will be passed down again. So maybe it will still be around 100 years from now. LOL

Larry
Mr Chevrolet
My Build, The Marathon Truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604414
Mr Chevorlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #13
Tinkermc

to keep your interest up keep your projects small. Only work on one task at a time.For interest your left side needs a rocker panel and you have damage to the left bed side. Repair them seperatley. One after the other then the rewards come more often and pride is a good ride, to motovation.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredmeadow View Post

My wife and I are big fans of our 70 C10 we picked up over the summer. There's just a lot of work to do on the truck and I know most of you have all gone through similar emotions. You ever felt like giving up and selling the truck?? Felt overwhelmed and thought there was never going to be a finished product and just wanted to sell it but then come to your senses and realize that you have an amazingly looking truck and that some day it'll get there... I gotta say coming to this site and reading posts and looking at all the pictures it inspires me to keep going. As much as the site inspires me, I find most of my inspiration from my wife who keeps reminding me its a process and it'll take time. Any of you feel the same conflicting emotions towards these sweet looking trucks?

Also, share if you would, how long it took you all to complete or how long you've been working on your project? Thanks for sharing.
I never had misgivings or felt overwhelmed by the amount of work involved in my truck. It took time and kept me out of the bars on worknights and weekends! My truck was essentially sound. No rust but it had been "customized" by a previous owner who hacked things together badly. Cut springs front and rear lowered it, "custom" dual exhausts complete with tubes burned through due to poor welding, hacked up firewall and dash and the list just went on endlessly.
In the first year I took the truck down to a bare frame, cleaned, straightened, and powder coated frame and all the suspension pieces including springs. The second year I did engine, transmission driveshaft and differential along with the switch to four wheel disc brakes and putting the tank under the bed. I spent the third year patching all of the holes the owner had hacked into the dash firewall and fenders, replacing the made-in-china plastic BS with good quality aftermarket pieces, priming. leveling and finish paint. The fourth year was interior. I built a custom console from 16 ga sheet, found a set of aftermarket buckets and built mounts for them, built the filler panel to cover the back where the tank had been , cut and sewed my carpets and upholstered the console. Electrical things took an additional 6 months to complete then new wheels and tires. Almost 5 years in building the truck BUT it is my truck. I built it by myself. I had help getting Cab and bed to the paint booth but every wrench that turned, every wire run, hose or solid line bent on that truck were done by my hands. It was a long hard road and my job kept me traveling both inside and outside the US for days and sometimes weeks so there were entire months where no work was done.
Now it is finished. It isn't a daily driver or a show truck but it is my toy!
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
Bishops Trucks
KEEP ON TRUCKIN'

I've had my current truck since 2005. Drove the wheels off it when it was on the road. It developed a tick which I found to be a cracked header by the collector, and a leaking trans. case seal. Long story short, one thing led to another and now it is in a million pieces. It's been that way for about 1.5 years. I walk by it and wonder sometimes if I will ever see it back on the road. What keeps me going is the vision I have for this truck. It takes time, we all have had to walk away from our projects at times to clear our heads and get a fresh look at the project. With the help and support of the people on this board, any build can become a finished project.

'71 Cheyenne Z71 / LT1 & 4-Speed SWB K/10 Father/Son Project
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l689JKXPnA
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php
"LIVIN' FREE FOREVER"
Bishops Trucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #16
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Count yourself lucky that you have a wife who is not only "on board" with the project, but encouraging.... lots of guys have wives-girlfriends who either "don't care one way or the other" or just plain hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #17
dan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingfodgy View Post
Ive learned that banging on vintage tin is more about the process than the product. I personally do it to enjoy some "me" time and as an outlet for what little creativity I have left. Sure, when I focus solely one the desired result and see how far away that goal is, I get totally discouraged. That's when I crack open another barley-pop and redirect my thoughts to the immediate task at hand. The trick is to break the whole project down into a bunch of smaller "bite-sized" tasks. I've been trying to keep a photo-diary of my project, so when I lose my mojo, I can look back and see how far I've actually come.
These things always run hot-n-cold, much like a marriage. If you persevere the rewards are worth the effort.
Good Luck and enjoy the journey!

BTW, nice lookin' ride.
Ditto - you have to look at it as a series of small projects, one after another, and enjoy those small successes. In the meantime enjoy it for what it's worth. Otherwise someone will pick up your project for a song when you become discouraged and do it themselves.
dan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #18
theredmeadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
i dont have any desire to get rid of it but I do get bogged down. Things that you would think would be easy never are. I like the process but sometimes things get annoying. When you do finally finish it feels good and its on to the next thing that bogs you down
My wife never says anything about the truck other than why have we been insuring it for 2 years and you still have to borrow your friends to go to Home Depot.
Thats funny. I blew a tire and the truck has been sitting a month because I'd rather spend the money on buying tires for my new 15" rims. Probably another couple weeks before I get the rims and tires replaced. So it'll be down close to 2 months by the time I get it back on the road again.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:34 PM   #19
theredmeadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
to keep your interest up keep your projects small. Only work on one task at a time.For interest your left side needs a rocker panel and you have damage to the left bed side. Repair them seperatley. One after the other then the rewards come more often and pride is a good ride, to motovation.
I'm surprised you could tell that my rockers need to be replaced from the pictures. Both sides need to be replaced. I'm no mechanic and I've never done body work before so I have to save a little to find some to replace body parts. I will remember to focus on little tasks instead of looking at the big picture. Maybe after the tires it'll be my heater vents and then 1 rocker at a time.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:04 PM   #20
Carl Spangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredmeadow View Post

Greetings!

Are you planning on "tearing the truck apart" for a full restoration or keeping it running while working on it?

JMO, but if this is your first C10 redo I would recommend doing your work in stages so that the truck is always no more than a week or so away from being roadworthy.

cheers and best wishes to you in fixing up your new ride
JohnG
Carl Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:30 PM   #21
Unionwelder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
These feelings you have are normal.Building one of these is like eating an Elephant,you jus have to do it one bite at a time.
More accurate words haven't been spoken my friend!
Right." -Henry Ford
1972 chevy lwb
1934 ford p/u
Unionwelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #22
JAM1777

Ive had my 69 for about 7 months now and have put about $4000 into it. It is nowhere near where i want it but im loving every minute of it and my girlfriend is very supportive and loves to cruise around in it. But it definatley has put me through alot of headaches and trials, and i know there are still more to come. No matter the headaches or challenges it brings, i am gratefull the day i bought it and drove it home
JAM1777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #23
theredmeadow

I don't have the skills to tear it apart it put it back together. I could probably tear it down but it would end up staying that way. I plan on picking at it little by little. I'm not doing a frame up resto but I will get it as close to perfect as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spangler View Post
Greetings!

Are you planning on "tearing the truck apart" for a full restoration or keeping it running while working on it?

JMO, but if this is your first C10 redo I would recommend doing your work in stages so that the truck is always no more than a week or so away from being roadworthy.

cheers and best wishes to you in fixing up your new ride
JohnG
Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 AM   #24
Cordless57

If you want a second pair of eyes on your truck, there's a few of us in Albuquerque with these trucks who like little better than a chance to talk to anonther owner. I've got two of these trucks, one a '70 CST in mint oriiginal condition and the other a nearly rust free '69 GMC shop truck with potential.

I set up a meeting in December and will set up another in February or March where we can all get together and celebrate or commiserate as necessary.

Keep an eye on the Southwest forum and join us.
Cordless57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #25
theredmeadow

Yeah that would be great. It would be good to have another owner's experience and expertise in ABQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless57 View Post
If you want a second pair of eyes on your truck, there's a few of us in Albuquerque with these trucks who like little better than a chance to talk to anonther owner. I've got two of these trucks, one a '70 CST in mint oriiginal condition and the other a nearly rust free '69 GMC shop truck with potential.

I set up a meeting in December and will set up another in February or March where we can all get together and celebrate or commiserate as necessary.

Keep an eye on the Southwest forum and join us.