The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
NW Task Force

Exclamation 55-59 standard heater cores........options?

Today I confirmed my leak on the passenger side interior..............coolant on the floorboard. Yup, it appears that one of the heater tubes has a small crack where it attaches to the tank. I figured it would be a no biggie, hop online and order a new one..........WRONG! These frickin' things are considered obsolete and it seems that nobody reproduces them. I just can't believe this, especially since 50's era cars & trucks are extremely popular among the classic car populous. ????? weird. Now I have gathered that a person must go visit a local radiator shop and pay out some $$$ to have these little guys refurbished. Anyone else run into this issue? My heater is the standard, not the deluxe. I visited a local radiator shop this afternoon. I was quoted someplace between $200-$300 to refurbish it.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:07 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 55-59 standard heater cores........options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
Today I confirmed my leak on the passenger side interior..............coolant on the floorboard. Yup, it appears that one of the heater tubes has a small crack where it attaches to the tank. I figured it would be a no biggie, hop online and order a new one..........WRONG! These frickin' things are considered obsolete and it seems that nobody reproduces them. I just can't believe this, especially since 50's era cars & trucks are extremely popular among the classic car populous. ????? weird. Now I have gathered that a person must go visit a local radiator shop and pay out some $$$ to have these little guys refurbished. Anyone else run into this issue? My heater is the standard, not the deluxe. I visited a local radiator shop this afternoon. I was quoted someplace between $200-$300 to refurbish it.
The problem with the heater core in these trucks is that there were about 5 different heaters you could get all with a different core. post up a picture maybe some one has a spare they can part with
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:02 PM   #3
57chevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Task Force View Post
if you have a heater core that you can refurbish, youre doin good! I bought my 57 truck without a heater core . then I found out that the heater core is one of the very few parts you cant get from a catalog. $200 sounds about right. Do you need the valve too? you can get that reproduction for around $75

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
buggy5872

I have the heater core from a 64 nova in mine. I think we had to use the top tank off of mine becuase the tubes were not correct. It was 1997 when I did it. The core size was the same and availalble back then. It was the cheapest way to do it but my friends dad had a radiator shop so it was easy to switch the top tank.
1957 3100 with 59 fleetside bed
1957 5700 LCF Crew Cab "Big Bertha",1959 GMC F370
1958 GMC 600, 1946 Chevy, 1959 Viking 60 LCF
1974 Elcamino SS, 1979 6500 GMC Tilt Bed Wrecker
Big Bertha Build
buggy5872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
OrrieG

This has been discussed before but I will repeat. When mine puked I went to the radiator shop and found one that would fit in the space without the control valve, modified the in and outlets, and ran an inline control valve that I manually opened and closed depending on the season. If you search and find the previous thread it has photos, etc of solutions.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #6
NW Task Force

At this point, I am still looking at options for fixing my leaking heater core. My local radiator shop never called me back on a quote after measuring it (been a week). I have a local classic truck parts "collector" going through his inventory to locate one. Anyone know of a source? Here is what I got..............
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

get hold of Bowtie bits. They have rebuild heaters so I think they may have a core
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #8
NW Task Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcsr View Post
get hold of Bowtie bits. They have rebuild heaters so I think they may have a core
Cool. I will check them out. Thanks!