The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 AM   #1
Root2812

Rear Suspension Design Help Needed.

Hey guys. So I have my 1950 short box and I just installed a Fatman Fabrication IFS kit up front. I am going with the 5.3L/4l60e combination. Its time to figure out what I want to do with the rear suspension. I already have a limited slip 8.8 out of an explorer with disk brakes and I am not using bags.

My goal is to have a comfortable street cruiser but with the ability to haul a camper trailer. I think a 4 link is out because I don't want the truck to squat really bad when I hook it up to a load. I want to haul a small single axle camper trailer that is about 3,000-4,000 pounds loaded and maybe someday a single car hauling trailer. I don't know what the tongue weights would be but I think the camper would be about 500 pounds or so. I know the engine and trans can do it since it came from a 1/2 ton Silverado and the rear came from a 5.0L v8 explorer so that should be strong enough too.

Right now I am contemplating either the TCI leaf kit or keeping the stock set up with a set of Posies Super Slide lowering springs (3 inch drop will match the IFS drop). Since I am not building a performance truck but I do want it to ride nice unloaded what do you all think?

Any advice on those options I listed or something else I can try is appreciated.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:16 AM   #2
Spblack

Re: Rear Suspension Design Help Needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
Hey guys. So I have my 1950 short box and I just installed a Fatman Fabrication IFS kit up front. I am going with the 5.3L/4l60e combination. Its time to figure out what I want to do with the rear suspension. I already have a limited slip 8.8 out of an explorer with disk brakes and I am not using bags.

My goal is to have a comfortable street cruiser but with the ability to haul a camper trailer. I think a 4 link is out because I don't want the truck to squat really bad when I hook it up to a load. I want to haul a small single axle camper trailer that is about 3,000-4,000 pounds loaded and maybe someday a single car hauling trailer. I don't know what the tongue weights would be but I think the camper would be about 500 pounds or so. I know the engine and trans can do it since it came from a 1/2 ton Silverado and the rear came from a 5.0L v8 explorer so that should be strong enough too.

Right now I am contemplating either the TCI leaf kit or keeping the stock set up with a set of Posies Super Slide lowering springs (3 inch drop will match the IFS drop). Since I am not building a performance truck but I do want it to ride nice unloaded what do you all think?

Any advice on those options I listed or something else I can try is appreciated.
I would throw some helper bags on the rear if your going to haul a trailer.
Spblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #3
Root2812

spblack, thanks for posting. I'm hoping to avoid helper bags because I am not going to haul anything that big. I've been looking at the mid sized Scamp campers.

I get that most everyone wants air ride these days but its hard to believe that over 100 people viewed this thread and nobody has used leaf springs and has any input.
Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Root2812

I do want to say thank you to Newfisher for responding to my PM. He was helpful. Based on what he said I have ruled out the Posies since they won't take a load.

Possibly I'll use the stock 1950 springs but flip the axle.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
oldman3

Hey Root, I've viewed this a couple times, waiting to see what everyone had to say. I'm running leaf springs on mine, but never set it up to pull a camper or anything. I got my spring kit from a company no longer in business. They are the wider springs than stock. I don't think you stock springs will handle your load, because of age, etc. (I could be wrong, I have been before). This is old school crap I'm about to tell you. I had a 32 Chevy sedan that I pulled a pop up camper with for about 7 years with leaf springs, I added the old air shocks out back. Ran them on the low side without the camper and aired them up when I pulled the camper. I thought it was pretty good ride, both ways. Here's a pic of the car and camper from back in the 80's...Jim
Attached Images

oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
c estudillo

I have had a 1953 Chevy one ton for 29 years. I used it as a firewood hauling truck, gravel and all that heavy stuff, but when it has no load, the suspension is very stiff and it bounces around the road too much for me at my age now. I want it to ride smoother. I have 15 leafs in the back and I am thinking with some new shocks and taking out some of the leafs, I might take some of the rigidity out of the ride.

Any ideas? I don't need to haul a ton of stuff anymore, I just want to have fun driving this old beast.
c estudillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
47 Fasttoys

FWIW, I have almost the same set up as you on my '46 Fatmans, 350,700R4, I run a 7.5 rear end from a Aerostar van. Anyway I run 5 of the original springs with no lowering blocks. I haul 500 to 600 lbs a lot with no issues at all. I also pull a car trailer with a 350 lbs tongue weight. Mine doesn't sit real low but does ride nice both loaded and unloaded. I did have to remove the bump stops, but I can't remember ever bottoming out on the frame.
Oh, one more thing, tongue weight should be 10% of trailer weight.
Rob

Last edited by 47 Fasttoys; 01-06-2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: added info
47 Fasttoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Root2812

Thanks 47 Fasttoys. Knowing that tongue weight is about 10% of the trailer will be very useful information. I am starting to think that maybe if I can find some aftermarket spring hangers and shackles I can find a way to use the stock explorer leafs.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Kid

for any type of non baged rear suspension (leafs / coil over / trailing arms), once you try the 'helper' bags you will be sold when it comes to towing or hualing... when not needed, just don't inflate them
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
whitedog76

Use Ford Ranger brackets.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/hanger...le-hanger-kits
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #11
lgoodso1

I just picked up a 57 3200 and it had helper springs on it for the extra load when needed. Just a thought, used them before in the past just for the extra support
lgoodso1 is offline   Reply With Quote