The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
jcd9730

Wrecked! Now what...

So I got in an accident. It was totally my fault, rearended someone on the freeway going about 30mph. Noone was hurt or anything, but my problem is, I think my insurance is going to total it out, and I'm not sure what to do. The damage is a hood, left fender, grill and likely center support and a radiator. Possibly a fan too. Engine is fine, maybe the frame is bent a bit, but nothing bad. Nothing else. I just got the initial call from the adjuster, saying that they wanted to total it out. I told them they were full of crap, that the truck was worth closer to 10k and the damage was nowhere near that. I told him all the work I had done (BTO tranny, exhaust work, relatively new engine, etc) and money I had put in and so on. I should be hearing back tomorrow with the final appraisal.

So my question is, what can I do to keep my truck and get it fixed? I don't even care about the new parts getting painted, I just want to keep it. How does this work with a classic truck? I'm really worried, I do not want to lose this after all the blood sweat and massive amounts of profanity I have put into it. Any help y'all could possibly offer? I have USAA insurance by the way.
Attached Images

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
jcd9730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
jcd9730

Re: Wrecked! Now what...

Also, its in great shape. No rust, no body damage, paint is about 2 years old (crazy ex-gf keyed it though), I've put new trans, exhaust, headliner, carpet, linex bed, totally cleaned up the engine and replaced most wear parts like starter and so on. I got it for 10k and everything I have done would have only increased the value. I had a full suspension replacement planned for this week that I couldn't do obviously. All wear parts, springs, shocks, everything. This should not be totalled out. But how do I convince the insurance company of this??????

72 C10, 350/2004r, Porter Steel Pacs, and 40+ years of leftovers from strange POs...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
BMERDOC

OOfff! Sorry bout that! That stinks. You will have the option to buy it back but I don't know if it will come with a clean title. Do you see any marks on the frame horn? The frame may still be straight. I don't think anyone has pinpointed where they "like" to bend so I can't tell you where to check. I would say that the frame would most likely buckle at the v-shaped crossmember first. how many receipts do you have?
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
jcd9730

I looked as much as I could on the side of the road and I couldn't see any frame damage. Is it possible to convince them that its worth more than the damage? Like argue the appraisal? I don't really know what to do with a truck like this were the value is more subjective and not exactly posted on Kelley Blue Book.

I only have receipts for the transmission. I had no intention of ever selling so I didn't see how they would be useful. I didn't consider this...

Old 01-03-2014, 12:06 AM   #5
BrianG

That stinks, sorry that had to happen to you. With the bumper hardly bent it doesn't seem like the frame should be too bad if it is even bent at all. Just a couple of suggestions that I could give would be to maybe get a couple of estimates yourself. Then you could take them to the insurance company and tell them that it could be fixed for that amount and see if they would go for it. Or like someone else said, ask if you can have first option to buy it back if they total it. Most will let you do that, but you may have to have this agreed upon ahead of time. If that is an option, you will end up with a salvage title most likely. If that does not bother you at all (really only hurts the resale of it) then you can just take what they give you for the buyout and go get it fixed wherever you like.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
BMERDOC

I assume you have full coverage. I am not a pro at insurance but you can argue your side AND I have seen more than one car fixed just because the customer had an "Emotional Attachment" to the vehicle. They will write you a check for the calculated value if they are bound and determined to total it. Its up to you to argue your side. Find a good reason not to total it and find a very good value for it that would be well over salvage value.
2WD C10 Modern/Performance Alignments
Easiest Alignment Ever!
BMERDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
Ridgeclimber

I think it looks worse then it is. I would fix it. Every part is available and could be stripped down, new parts bolted back on in an afternoon, ready for paint. My dad had a similar accident with his little ford ranger diesel pick up. The first words out of the adjuster was to right it off. We had it fixed and back on the road in one day. They want to write you a cheque cause it is easier and cheaper for them.
Ridgeclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:26 AM   #8
cool68

**** happens. likely going to depend what type of insurance coverage you have. have classic vehicle agreed stated value? or just the basics? if the later insurance company will total it but, you have the right to buy it back. then it will get a revived salvage applied to it. if you then put it back on the road you will get a salvage title, which will always stay with truck. this will increase your insurance coverage fees, including those for the accident. plus, as stated above, will make it harder to ever sell truck. verify this with your agent.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 AM   #9
wreckedchevy

see if you can find a certified classic car appraiser in your area will cost a couple hundred but they have to go with the value as far as I know. that's what I did when mine got totaled.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:00 AM   #10
Razor454

This happened to me 13 years ago...they argued that it wasn't worth much...funny thing is they don't have a blue book on trucks this old...so I used that against them by buying a book on car and truck values...This forced them to review the claim and pay up. One thing that I did was found a small local shop willing to fix it and not total it out. Good luck and let us know how things work out.

1997 C2500 Ext Cab 5.7 Liter

1955 3/4 ton 1st series w/ 235 straight six Sold it
Razor454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:27 AM   #11
OARNGESI

tell them no matter what you want to keep it. they'll probably be willing to write you a check for around 3k and if your willing to do the work yourself that should be plenty for parts and maybe a couple upgrades. and don't tell them this truck means a lot to you show them this may sound stupid but detail the truck like you are going to a show tire shine clean the windows wax vacuum don't let the appraiser think for a second it is just some old farm truck.

Last edited by OARNGESI; 01-03-2014 at 03:39 AM.
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:32 AM   #12
woodwright
Enjoying left field

You should be able to let them total it, and then buy it back. At most it would be a couple hundred bucks.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
jjzepplin

I first had my truck towed to my home and locked it up so they could not strip it in the yard.
They then gave me low N.A.D.A. value for it and I argued that it was not totaled and asked for a supervisor.
They finally agreed and sent me a check and let me keep the truck(as I already had it).
Might take some strong arguing though so be ready.
And remember --- it is YOUR truck ---Not theirs!!!
YOUR name is on the title and you own it!
THEY are just paying for your damages...

The same guy (believe it or not) tried to total my Toyota that my brother wrecked the next year.
He saw me coming up the hall and just asked- Same deal as before?
I said you better believe it cuz I can fix that so-called $5000 dollars worth of damage for about $300! And I did and drive the car daily.
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #14
hugger6933

I build wrecks for a living. First off the poster in post # 12 will all respect that is a misconception. A lot of people think we buy trucks for a couple of hundred the only ones we do are the ones that are worth a couple hundred maybe with only a few body panels left. Case in point I have a 06 GMC HD2500 on my yard, paid 700 for it with the fees and the ride home I have about 1250 in it. I thought I was fine but the motor was broke [found that after I had sold it] trans was too as was the transfer case. I knew the sheet metal except the box and the back bumper was bad so I ended with box with damage on one side and a bumper and wheels. Not a ton of money there.
Now back to your truck at a salvage sale it most likely will bring $2000 to $3500 things are crazy now but most all but the stubbornest of insurance companies will let the owner have the right of first refusal or the right to retain salvage. I would ask first about the last phrase "right to retain salvage" they in doing that will take an agreed upon amount off of your check and let you keep your truck and then the check can go towards putting the truck back on the road. Normally when this is done there is no title branding or any of the sort because the truck never really changes ownership. I am not certain about your state but here in AR if a truck is ten years old it is too old to get branded any way. Good luck. Oh by the way, I don't think your frame will be bent enough to make a trip to a frame machine. if it is bent over one way a 4 ton port o power against the opposite frame cross member will do. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #15
gonnuts

Be prepared when you meet or talk to your adjustor, do your homework as to what these trucks are selling for in similar shape, especially rust free or low rust ones in Ca. Az. And don't think you have to take their first offer they will quite often give you quite a bit more if you make a good case of replacement cost. It also might not hurt to show them that good oem parts are available.
Good luck.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #16
HSRACER

One thing I would definitely recommend going forward is to get some agreed upon value insurance. Haggerty, Grundy and others have it cheap. That way you are covered for the exact amount you determine on your truck.

I have Grundy and if I get in a wreck then they either fix the vehicle or cut me a check that we have agreed upon in advance when we insured the truck.
Patinaed 67 LS stepside
Supercharged 67 Nova
Bagged 69 Suburban Turbo'ed 5.3 LS
HSRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:30 AM   #17
Longhorn 70

First be glad no one was hurt.
Second briefly morn for your truck.
Third if they really want to total it, contact the insurance comany and ask them to find you another one in similar condition. Go through sale ads and show similar trucks.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:05 AM   #18
Jasper89

Looks like your pride is hurt more than your truck. I did the same thing to my father's truck when in my younger days. Glad you are okay and the your truck will come back. Just think of the fun you will have fixing it again.

Your situation made me look at my insurance and change my policy.

Good luck and glad you are okay.
Jasper89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Don't use the KBB, use the CPI Black Book. According to it the value of a '72 regular cab 2 wheel drive pickup in fair condition is $5275, Good condition is $11,500, and in excellent condition is $25,875. That is from a 2011 book so it may be more now... As far as I'm concerned the only way to insure these trucks is with a stated value. I had to have mine appraised and send the insurance company 3 pictures of them.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-03-2014 at 11:24 AM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:07 PM   #20
b.eddy's72

My son just recently totaled my 99 GMC truck and the insurance company valued the truck at like $5200 which was fine with me. I had the truck on my property and told them I wanted to keep it (wanted to pull the 5.3 ls motor and 4l60 tranny out for my 67) so they just deducted $1200 out of my payment. The insurance companies send a letter to the state that shows that the vehicle has been totaled according to state insurance regulations. If you accept their payment and they total the vehicle there is nothing you can do about having a salvaged title. Alot of people think that because they have the title that the insurance company cant salvage it.......they are wrong. Insurance companies are required by law to report damage to the state where the coverage is held. I know a guy that took a $5000 hit on his 56 Chevy truck to prevent having a salvaged title. You don't have to let them fix the truck and therefore they have no say over the title being salvaged or not. Find out what it will cost you to have it fixed and decide if you even want to let them complete the claim. I would rather not have a classic truck with a salvaged title and fix it myself if it were me. Good Luck

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #21
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodwright View Post
You should be able to let them total it, and then buy it back. At most it would be a couple hundred bucks.
This. Insurance company totaled out one of my Jeeps years ago. It had over 10K in parts alone on it. I had receipts for everything. Got a check from the insurance company and then bought the Jeep back for a couple hundred bucks. It had a salvage title, but I just took the parts I needed and scrapped the rest.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #22
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

My daughter got hit by someone else (little different in your case) but the process should be similar. Here is how it went...
1. I had pictures of the truck before and after to submit to the adjuster.
2. I looked on CL and ebay for similar trucks done to a similar level of completion.
3. I took trucks from Wichita, Tulsa, Kansas City and Dallas.
4. I did the parts list I could on LMCs website and included shipping as a reference only for the adjuster.
5. I visited with him on the estimated value and then on the costs associated with all the damage and shop time to repair the parts on the list and then we agreed to talk again in a few days.
He wrote the check for 11,800 based on the legwork, value and parts needed to repair her truck.
6. I bought it back for $2000 based on his offers from the scrap people that he gets offers from... according to him.
7. Then I rebuilt it and yes it had to have a salvaged title but i put it on a SWB frame anyway.
I hope this helps.
Here is the link to the pictures as the damage looks to be in the same area as hers. Good Luck, be assertive and respectful.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1826

V/R,
Mike
Cash3481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM   #23
zeldman

From what I see in the pictures, it looks like the bumper did not take a solid hit. It looks like the bumper brace is not even bent. Therefore I would look closely at the frame in front of the cross member. I would not think it is bent much if at all. Look behind the cab and see if the bed and cab came together. If not, I think your frame will be fine.

Hate to see a good looking truck be considered totaled when all it needs is just a little TLC to be good again.

Good to hear no one was injured. Sheet metal can be replaced, people cannot.
2013 Subaru Outback
1970 C-10 2WD, SWB stepside, 292, TH350, PS, more rust than anything. God is my pilot.
zeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:50 PM   #24
Z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSRACER View Post
One thing I would definitely recommend going forward is to get some agreed upon value insurance. Haggerty, Grundy and others have it cheap. That way you are covered for the exact amount you determine on your truck.

I have Grundy and if I get in a wreck then they either fix the vehicle or cut me a check that we have agreed upon in advance when we insured the truck.

Good lesson for all reading this thread. If you don't have agreed upon insurance, you should re think it. I have Grundy on all my classics, it's cheap and hassle free.
1979 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 & 1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary
1999 Honda Valkyrie
2006 Corvette Z06
2010 BMW 650i
Z10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:57 PM   #25
terry b

I only run with pl& pd no full coverage. I do not want ANYBODY to have a say in my trucks but me. If i hurt someone i am covered. I would rather repair my stuf my way than have some --- ---- tell me how it is going to go. The newer junk that i drive every i could not care less about so i run full coverage. If thay they total it they can have it. Took three years to put my 72 back on the road after it got hit but the titles clean with no record.
terry b is offline   Reply With Quote