The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2014, 07:02 PM   #1
Masstowingllc

How can I get or figure out what plow I need or should get 1st time ever buying one

It's my first time ever buying a plow and I wanted to get a plow for my 1972 chevy c30 pickup/wrecker! I have never used a plow or hooked one up or anything I do know how to plow since I use to go with my brother in his plow truck! Since this is a old truck I am guessing I am gonna have to piece one together but I don't know where to start! What plow parts are interchangeable like hydraulics? Head gear? Push plates? Etc and are all plows the same? Should I get some parts first because all plows have the same say push plates? Or should I get blade then find the parts to go with the blade? I am a welder so i don't mind welding the blade I just ddon't want to be making a whole setup for my truck since I don't have a machine shop and don't know what to make! I would like to trade some stuff ihave for a setup!
Masstowingllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: How can I get or figure out what plow I need or should get 1st time ever buying o

Ask your equipment dealer what they recommend,unless you want used stuff. I used a plow on a '71 that was made for 81-87s. This was in '84 and my partner had an '84 K20. We measured and checked and all we had to do is move it forward a bit and drill one hole on each side. This was due to the 67-72s having peaked nose and the 81-87s being virtually flat. the frame mount is the only part that matters which truck. You could take any 8' plow and adapt it to your truck.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:32 PM   #3
Masstowingllc

Re: How can I get or figure out what plow I need or should get 1st time ever buying o

Yea I want all used stuff
Old 01-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #4
Chrome8

Well if you find a used set up to fit a newer truck that has the hydraulic pump mounted to the plow itself instead of the truck you will have a setup that is easier to install and have less things bolted to your truck in the summer. The bracket mounts to the truck and the plow mounts to the bracket so the bracket is the important part here. The wiring harness is usually fairly universal and you should be able to make that work as long as you can do some rewiring yourself. Most plow manufacturers don't' make a bracket to fit a 67-72 truck so you could buy a bracket from a plow dealer and modify it like special K mentioned. 73-87 Chevy brackets sound like they work with an additional hole drilled, good to know. I know these brackets are available new for a Hiniker snow plow because I had one on an 87 a couple of years ago. The problem with used plows is that the bracket may be for a Ford or a Dodge or a newer Chevy. New ones are 400-600 bucks.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Confucius
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Masstowingllc

Awesome thank you for all the info like I said I know nothing about plows and I just don't want to but a minute mount bracket and then get a different brand plow and be stuck with 2 pieces that won't go together
Old 01-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Masstowingllc

So are all plow brackets the same and what i Mena by the same i mean minute mount fit other brands?
Old 01-04-2014, 01:23 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

All brands are minute mount now. It wasn't about looks that they changed to minute mounts,it was safety laws requiring plow mounts that didn't affect the front bumper. The old mounts went on and the bumper got spacers. Also,air bags on newer trucks make the minute mounts necessary. I always fabricated my own bumpers from steel tube stock which was stronger than factory. If you can fabricate,you could make about any plow work with any frame mount,but the way to go is buy one complete. There should be plenty of 73-87 plows out there. The frame spacing is identical. You could make any old plow mount to be removable like the minute mounts. It's not that much work to remove the old frame mounts. I was going to do that,but ended up not bothering. The thing that bothered me the most was the lights and brackets year 'round. I removed those after plowing season the first year,then realized with my trucks lifted the factory headlights were above the plow and I left them off. Here are Western plows made for '80s GM on some 67-72s
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #8
Chrome8

I've never heard of a minute mount but the bracket that you buy needs to be specific to the plow you are putting on. So, a Boss Bracket won't work with a Fisher or Meyer plow. Make sure you buy the plow first if it's used then get the correct bracket to fit the truck, or in this case 73-87 which will be modified slightly. Keep in mind the different brands may mount to the frame differently.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Confucius
Chrome8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #9
dirtwork

You might want to consider buying a cheap beater 4wd plow truck instead. Driving your 72 on the salted roads will make it not long for this world. Also, you did say its a c30 correct? Being 2 wheel drive and only the wrecker bed on the back you may have some traction issues. You can plow with a 2wd dually, but it needs to be a flatbed or dump body so you can get some decent weight on the axle for traction. Also keep in mind that 2wd trucks are best suited for open parking lots and roadways as opposed to short driveways. For the money you would spend finding a plow, and gabbing up a mount, etc. you might be able to just pick up a cheap truck or blazer with a plow on it.
dirtwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Yeah,What Chrome8 said. I assumed you knew minute mount was just a term for the new type plow mounts...IE quick mount,easy mount,detachable mount,safety mount,etc.
If you're concerned with cosmetics,the best thing would be to not use the truck to plow,like dirtwork said. The appearance of a permanent plow mount will be the least of your concerns. Aside from the obvious salt issue,just driving down the road with the plow mounted creates airflow that sucks all the crap up into you engine compartment. It trashed my braided stainless,chrome,aluminum,and played havoc with electrical connections. Under the hood looked as bad as the outside after plowing

Tim

Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #11
yfs200p
E.H.F.D Engine #2

In your search for a plow, I would hold out for a fisher. I have plowed with a few others, and Fisher is by far the best. They can be heavier than other makes, but you have a beefy old truck that can handle it unlike the newer 1500 series trucks. What's nice about them is the trip system. When you hit a curb or other bump in the road, the cutting edge will fold back behind the plow And then spring back into place. Most other plow's trip edge system cause the entire plow to fold all the way over flat and spring back, very annoying and can give you a headache after a while. Check out this thread, he adapted a Fisher minute-mount plow setup on his 70 K10 using the push plates from an 81-87. Start reading around post #126.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=329775&page=6
I'm pretty sure you can buy any fisher plow made for a full-size truck and then you will just need to find the push plates for your application. I may be wrong about that, though. An 8' fisher Minute-Mount 2 is a great plow that I highly reccomend, not too big not too small. Do some research on YouTube and other places to see what you like. Good luck it can be a great money maker but after a few storms it gets a little less exciting each time. Ask me how I know......
'15 Chevy 2500HD CCSB High Country Duramax
'22 Tahoe Premier Duramax
yfs200p is offline   Reply With Quote