The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 PM   #1
Enzojones

Please allow me to introduce myself

Hello to everyone . My name is Pete and I live in Odessa , Tx. I recently picked up a '57 Chevy Pickup . It is in pieces with a lot of stuff missing and the top chop was already started on it . I got a frame from a '56 with another cab that is pretty bad but , I should be able to use it to finish the chop or repair it back to normal top . I also got a partially complete '77 Camaro that I am going to use the subframe out of . I have a choice of a stepside bed or a '59 Apache fleetside bed to use . I have a complete '93 z28 that I may use the drivetrain out of but , I haven't decided on that yet . It will be a while before i am ready to put an engine in it .This is my first build like this but, I am excited about it . This forum is AWESOME !! I will probably be here everyday . I get more excited every time I visit the forum . Oh yeah , I got titles for the '57 and the Camaro .
Attached Images

Enzojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:33 AM   #2
oldcouple

Re: Please allow me to introduce myself

Looks like fun, a lot of people that tried the top chop had problems when it came to putting in the windshield. Maybe starting with a cut down windshield before welding would help, Enjoy the group.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
Flames97

Great project. My vote is fleet side. I like the looks, if I didn't already have a step side I'd do fleet. When I first got into these trucks 20 plus years ago I didn't like then but I do now. Looking forward to seeing which direction you go.

'15.5 Chevy Duramax LTZ/Z71, LML, CC/SB
'77 Chevy K10, 4" lift, 33-12.50, 350/350
'55 Chevy Short Box (In Pieces)MII,4-link,Bagged,383 Stroker,700r4,3.73posi (SOLD)
My 55.2 Chevy 3100 Build
Flames97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:06 AM   #4
mechanixman

Hi Pete!
I'm Nick, and welcome to the board!
It looks like you have a solid start on your project.
Seems like you have enough parts to make a crew cab - a chop top crew cab. (man that would be slick)
So what's next on the chopping block?

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:13 AM   #5
57chevyman

welcome Pete!
I look forward to following your progress! if you don't use the stepside bed, contact me with some pictures if its in nice shape. ive been looking for a while

1957 Chevy 3100
2000 Silverado z71 SOLD
2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
1992 International 4700
57chevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:32 AM   #6
av8tr33337

Welcome to the forum. I love the Tri Fives.

Bartman's Ad-S10 Chassis Swap
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415418

My First Youtube Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6hSt...eature=channel

More Pics of the 51 Project
http://s668.photobucket.com/albums/v...hassis%20Swap/

1951 3100 Pickup
av8tr33337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:57 AM   #7
Daze57

welcome to the forum from sin city - enjoy the ride !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:36 AM   #8
oldman3

to the site and enjoy...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #9
dubie

Welcome and be prepared for some long hours of sitting and reading on this site. Even a novice could build a truck off of the expertise around here.
It looks like you are off to a great star with parts. I'd be using the Camaro for whatever you can. Use the 77 subframe as well as the fuel injected power train out of the 93 to save a lot of time and cost. I'll be watching for a build thread to start on this one

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Kim57

Welcome.
Sounds like a great build no matter which way you decide to go.
Kim
Old 01-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #11
Enzojones

Thanks for the welcome guys . I plan on starting with the frame , getting it cleaned up and the Camaro sub welded on and rebuilt . I am going to do the graft with the truck frame on top of the sub . I have seen several on here and I think that is the best way to do it . I am going to be on a budget so it will be a slow build . All of you guys on this forum are an inspiration . I hope I can end up with as nice a truck that some of you guys have built .
Old 01-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #12
Enzojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcouple View Post
Looks like fun, a lot of people that tried the top chop had problems when it came to putting in the windshield. Maybe starting with a cut down windshield before welding would help, Enjoy the group.
I have never tried anything like this before so I appreciate the advice . I have been reading and watching videos about cutting down the windshield and it seems that what you suggest is the preferred way , so I will most likely try it that way . I need to get a windshield first though , hehe . I was also thinking I will make a fiberglass copy of the windshield so I can get the shape worked out before I try to trim the glass . I have seen other people do that .
Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
MARTINSR

Just remember if you go with the top chop, tack the top on but before fully welding and finishing it on the front at least, make a template and have the windshield cut. You will need the windshield to cut to modify the roof to fit it. You could also make a good template of the glass, I did one out of fiberglass for one of these trucks years ago. You can then trim that template, you will be making template for the glass cutter as well as making your template to modify the opening in the roof so you don't have to be handling a piece of new glass for this purpose.

But lower corners of the windshield post must be modified anyway you look at it.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:10 PM   #14
_Ogre

welcome to the forum

to add to martinsr's post: cut and fit your windshield before you weld the top on, you must fit the frame to the cut glass.
i have only seen one curved glass chop work with cutting the glass to the frame. i consider him lucky.
most chopped task force cabs go to the scrap man because the fabricator under estimated the work and fitment involved.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #15
Enzojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Just remember if you go with the top chop, tack the top on but before fully welding and finishing it on the front at least, make a template and have the windshield cut. You will need the windshield to cut to modify the roof to fit it. You could also make a good template of the glass, I did one out of fiberglass for one of these trucks years ago. You can then trim that template, you will be making template for the glass cutter as well as making your template to modify the opening in the roof so you don't have to be handling a piece of new glass for this purpose.

But lower corners of the windshield post must be modified anyway you look at it.

Brian
Thanks Brian . I have the extra '56 cab (the black one on the frame) that I will be using for the extra the pieces I need to finish the chop . If I cut the two tops off center and butt them together it will widen the top to match the pillars . Do you think I will still have to modify the lower part of the pillar . Like I said ,I have never done this , so all advice is appreciated . The guy I got it from was planning on doing it this way. Believe me , this is the part of the project that I am a little afraid of , but I am still a little excited about it as well . Hehehe
Old 01-05-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
Enzojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
welcome to the forum

to add to martinsr's post: cut and fit your windshield before you weld the top on, you must fit the frame to the cut glass.
i have only seen one curved glass chop work with cutting the glass to the frame. i consider him lucky.
most chopped task force cabs go to the scrap man because the fabricator under estimated the work and fitment involved.
Ogre , I appreciate the input . I am going to be taking this project pretty slow , so I have a long time to think about this one . There is enough good material left in the '56 cab to either finish the chop (maybe) or to make it back to a normal top . I will definitely be researching and asking a lot of questions about it in the meantime . I still haven't even gotten all the pieces in the same place yet . I will be picking some brains around here though , hehe !
Old 01-05-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
MARTINSR

Here is an example of why you need to modify the roof to fit the glass. I took this photo at a show last year so I would have it. Notice how the corner of the glass doesn't fit into the corner of the opening? It's suppose to be "tucked" down into that corner.

The problem is when the glass gets shortened the top of the glass ends out further than it did originally, thus the window gets leaned forward.

I think to repair it ascetically would be to bring the top of the glass back instead of building up this corner but that would be a lot more work.

Brian

Old 01-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #18
MARTINSR

In looking at that photo, it looks like it isn't tucked all the way in at the top either, this would make the bottom even worse. But still it wouldn't go back far enough to make the bottom correct. There just isn't enough glass there to do it, plain and simple.

Brian

Old 01-05-2014, 01:43 PM   #19
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzojones View Post
Thanks Brian . I have the extra '56 cab (the black one on the frame) that I will be using for the extra the pieces I need to finish the chop . If I cut the two tops off center and butt them together it will widen the top to match the pillars . Do you think I will still have to modify the lower part of the pillar . Like I said ,I have never done this , so all advice is appreciated . The guy I got it from was planning on doing it this way. Believe me , this is the part of the project that I am a little afraid of , but I am still a little excited about it as well . Hehehe
I know exactly how you feel, this stuff is a friggin HIGH for goodness sakes!

Making the roof pieces fit is the easy part, you just cut and weld and lengthen and what ever else is needed. The issue with the glass is you can't cut and weld and lengthen glass. You have to cut the glass, then make the roof fit IT.

I have only chopped one of these trucks and when I did I simply made pieces to fill the gap of the widening of the roof using pieces I cut off, what most guys do being they don't have an extra roof. Personally, you can do this but the accuracy of your cars have to be mad perfect, pretty tough to pull off. If you cut the roof in half and put it down making it straight, tack it into place at the pillars then make a piece to fill the gap it's way easier. Not quite as clean as if you only had one weld there, but much easier.

On the one I did what really helped alot was that I cut the skin off the top I was chopping, all the way around the top leaving only a few inches around the top and sides. The rear I kept it all the way up until it flattens out.

After chopping the top and making the pieces to fill the gaps and tacking them in, I then cut the skin off the donor top a little bigger than where I did on the chopped one of course and fit and welded it in. That way there was no cut across the middle of the roof which would be much harder to weld. I MIG welded the whole thing a little at a time around the edge and ended up with very little filler. I may do things different today, but that worked out pretty well. I also didn't flange it all the way around, that would make it MUCH easier than what I did and much cleaner. But that was before I knew about such a procedure as flanging.

Brian

Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 PM   #20
Speedbumpauto

I must be the guy Ogre is referring to, but I did trade out work to a naturally talented metal guy to cut my top. A couple of weeks of sleepless nights and three windshields and a conference between the metal guy and the glass guy but the windshield works. It is close to having the corner problem in the above photo as the gasket barely makes the glass and metal fit and look good. So the above advice is probably the best to follow, but I'm here to say the worry and heartache is worth it when you see the result. Now that mine is together and almost on the road, I wouldn't trade the look for any I've seen.
Speedbumpauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #21
Enzojones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
In looking at that photo, it looks like it isn't tucked all the way in at the top either, this would make the bottom even worse. But still it wouldn't go back far enough to make the bottom correct. There just isn't enough glass there to do it, plain and simple.

Brian
So would you fix that with some relief cuts and angle the pillar back some ?
Old 01-05-2014, 01:52 PM   #22
LEEVON

Welcome! Nice project start.

My neighbor has this sweet chop-top '59 big back window. If you have questions he likes to talk about the chop and the fun he had with the glass (multiples). I'd be happy to ask him about specifics or take some close-up pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #23
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzojones View Post
So would you fix that with some relief cuts and angle the pillar back some ?
Nope, you could move the window mounting back at the top, or bring it up in the corner. Bringing it up in the corner is the easiest way.

Brian

Old 01-05-2014, 02:01 PM   #24
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbumpauto View Post
I must be the guy Ogre is referring to, but I did trade out work to a naturally talented metal guy to cut my top. A couple of weeks of sleepless nights and three windshields and a conference between the metal guy and the glass guy but the windshield works. It is close to having the corner problem in the above photo as the gasket barely makes the glass and metal fit and look good. So the above advice is probably the best to follow, but I'm here to say the worry and heartache is worth it when you see the result. Now that mine is together and almost on the road, I wouldn't trade the look for any I've seen.

LOL, I had a very inexperienced glass guy break THREE windshields too! Before I talked to someone who explained about the "hole" not being right and needing modification.

Brian

Old 01-05-2014, 02:02 PM   #25
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
Welcome! Nice project start.

My neighbor has this sweet chop-top '59 big back window. If you have questions he likes to talk about the chop and the fun he had with the glass (multiples). I'd be happy to ask him about specifics or take some close-up pics.
That is one BEEEEEUTEEEEEFUL truck! Just perfect in my opinion, just perfect.

Brian