The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #1
Keithpep

Custom '68 with a twist.

Well I've been lurking on here for about seven month's now and considered starting a build thread, but after seeing some of the builds on here, felt my build nor my talent were worthy. There is so much talent and creativity on this site, that it can be intimidating. But I've come to realize that after checking out hundreds of build threads (and the comments within) that most everyone appreciates the builds on this site regardless of budgets (I would fall in the low budget category ), skill level, or any other factors associated with a build.

So I thought what the hell, may as well jump in and enjoy some of the camaraderie that exists here, not to mention the vast knowledge available from some of the members. Be prepared, I will be gleaning info from you guys on a regular basis.

So here's my story:

I bought a '68 from a friend about 12-15 years ago and tore into it like a banshee for about 8 months. Well as some of you know, life has a way side tracking you, and long story short, she sat idle until about 5 months ago. My 22 year old son had been pestering me to let him build the truck so I finally gave in and let him have it. Towed it and all the parts I had accumulated over the years to his house and gave him some pointers on how he should build it. Thought it would be a good father/son project? Well, naturally we both have different idea's on how to build a truck (with him being 22 and me 30 years older), so I let it alone. Needless to say, after about a week, I realized that I still wanted a vintage truck (67-72 vintage, and a Chevy), even if it just sat in the garage The wife was not happy three weeks later when I drove up in another '68. She asked why I just didn't keep the one I had.......had no explanation for her. She still don't get it, oh well! Anyway, let's get to what you all like-the build.

As stated earlier, she is a '68 swb. The twist in the title refers to the fact that I'm gonna build a shop truck, but with an actual service bed on it. I haven't seen many of these around, so I thought I would be a little different. I'm going to use the bed to hide some of the stuff you would normally find under the truck, more on that later. I've looked all over the web, and have not seen a customized service truck of this vintage anyway. Hopefully it turns out as I picture it. I will post pics as soon as I read through the thread explaining how to do it, there is a thread I hope. Either way, I will figure it out and get to posting, later all.

Never mind, I think I figured out the picture thing, I hope.
Attached Images

Keithpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:18 AM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Custom '68 with a twist.

I have a shop and have since 1987 and in about 88 or 89, my dad came for a visit and kinda never left. He had never been a car guy just some regular oil changes and brake jobs when we farmed stuff like that. He got a real kick out of helping taking a fender off or bumper or grille. Then once he found out about putting thing together after they were fixed he was hooked. he still goes to the shop everyday he is 84 and still will jump under a truck with a handful of wrenches to yank off a back bumper or get a bed loose ready to take off.We have built a lot of wrecks together it has been loads of fun and for some time my son had joined the team and the ones where it was me and my son and my dad may be the most special builds of all. You have a good idea and a great looking truck to start out with. It looks as if someone had really spent some time all ready on the motor, good luck with your build. If you get stuck or need help just ask. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #3
Mathew21

Two great stories in the one thread. I love the shop truck build idea. I hope keep posting pictures.
Mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
yuccales

Going to be a great build. I like the idea of a service bed. Some time ago, someone here posted a pic of a sevice bed (phone truck?) that was tapered at the back doors, kinda rounded at the sides (not squared off like most service beds) that I thought was the coolest looking service bed I've seen. Good luck on your build.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
54blackhornet

I drive by a shop in WA state that has a beautiful 68 Chevy with a service bed on back of it, still in operation everyday. I will stop and shoot a few pics and post them. It is in great shape and have meant to stop but never did.....
Old 01-05-2014, 07:27 PM   #6
Tinkermc

enjoy the build but mostly enjoy the time with your DAD
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:30 AM   #7
cleanfreak

Just went through 40 pages in the patina shop logo thread to find these - hope thy give you some inspiration - good luck on the project.
Attached Images

cleanfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:40 AM   #8
Keithpep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanfreak View Post
Just went through 40 pages in the patina shop logo thread to find these - hope thy give you some inspiration - good luck on the project.
Really appreciate that. That's what I'm going for, but with fresh paint and lots of detail work. Would never have found it, no patience! Thanks for all the effort CF.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:42 AM   #9
Keithpep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
I drive by a shop in WA state that has a beautiful 68 Chevy with a service bed on back of it, still in operation everyday. I will stop and shoot a few pics and post them. It is in great shape and have meant to stop but never did.....
Can't wait to see pics, it's amazing, I looked forever and could not find any customized service trucks, thanks.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:46 AM   #10
Keithpep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuccales View Post
Going to be a great build. I like the idea of a service bed. Some time ago, someone here posted a pic of a sevice bed (phone truck?) that was tapered at the back doors, kinda rounded at the sides (not squared off like most service beds) that I thought was the coolest looking service bed I've seen. Good luck on your build.
Wish that's what I had, but mine is a squareish box, but it's a low side box. Didn't want anything too high. I really like the shape of the one CF posted above, just with shorter sides. Thanks for the luck.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:10 AM   #11
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpep View Post
Can't wait to see pics, it's amazing, I looked forever and could not find any customized service trucks, thanks.
Here's Angelo. He might be a little more customized than what your after but definitely worth checking out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=Angelo

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #12
mac808

Cool story bro! Looking forward to your project taking shape!
mac808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:52 AM   #13
BC10

Looking forward to your build.
My dad has had a 1970 Longbed stepside for 30 plus years. I use to whine and complain to him about how he needed to fix it up real nice, with a bunch of aftermarket parts, and a nice new paint job.

Bought my own 1968 Shortbed stepside 8 months ago, and as I have been working on mine, I have learned to appreciate my dads taste in keeping it all "stock." My current build will be a little of both, but I am trying to maintain a classic look the best I can.

I think the General knew what he was doing back then, it has just taken me a while to figure that out.
BC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #14
68 Longbed Dan

Hey Keith! Good lookin truck, I look forward to seeing what you do.

Shoot me a PM if you need a hand with anything, I am in SW bakersfield off White Ln. and Buena Vista. I would be more than happy to lend you a hand with some heavy lifting should you need it!
Old 01-09-2014, 12:00 AM   #15
Keithpep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac808 View Post
Cool story bro! Looking forward to your project taking shape!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC10 View Post
Looking forward to your build.
My dad has had a 1970 Longbed stepside for 30 plus years. I use to whine and complain to him about how he needed to fix it up real nice, with a bunch of aftermarket parts, and a nice new paint job.

Bought my own 1968 Shortbed stepside 8 months ago, and as I have been working on mine, I have learned to appreciate my dads taste in keeping it all "stock." My current build will be a little of both, but I am trying to maintain a classic look the best I can.

I think the General knew what he was doing back then, it has just taken me a while to figure that out.
The General definitely knew what he was doing with this vintage, still a good looking truck, good story with your dad and good luck with your build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Here's Angelo. He might be a little more customized than what your after but definitely worth checking out.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ghlight=Angelo
Love that truck, wish I could crank out a truck like that, that quick. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Longbed Dan View Post
Hey Keith! Good lookin truck, I look forward to seeing what you do.

Shoot me a PM if you need a hand with anything, I am in SW bakersfield off White Ln. and Buena Vista. I would be more than happy to lend you a hand with some heavy lifting should you need it!
Good to hear someone is close by. Really close actually, I'm at Harris and Buena Vista. Would love to see your truck in person, and maybe get some ideas.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:10 AM   #16
Keithpep

Well, works been killing all my spare time lately, but getting a little done as I can. Just about have the rear end freshened up and dropped the frame off at the powder coaters today. Let's see if I can post some pics.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 AM   #17
Keithpep

I was going to paint the frame originally, but decided, after spending 2 days sandblasting that it would be quicker and easier and maybe cheaper to just have it powder coated. Plus powder would hold up better than paint.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:23 AM   #18
Keithpep

Hopefully I can get the underside of the cab sand blasted this weekend and get it painted and off the stilts
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 12:42 AM   #19
Keithpep

......I guess I should admit, it was my son that spent two days sand blasting, but he did have help. Hopefully he comes by this weekend and does the cab for me
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #20
FRANKENSTEINC10

that's awesome man. I am currently in a build with my dad and my kids. he's had the truck since 92 and I have finally acquired it. there is not many things more gratifying than turning wrenches with the old man and my son and daughter.
FRANKENSTEINC10 is offline   Reply With Quote