The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
J48chevy

Original or S-10 swap?

Ok, I am sure this has been asked before and I have spent many hours looking all over the site at everyone's projects but thought I would ask. By the way, WOW, some awesome projects going on across the country. I have my 1948 Thriftmaster and it is petty solid. I want to basically turn it into something reliable and hope to drive daily. Should I keep the original frame and update to a modern rear end and also looking at a mustang 2 front end as well or purchase an S-10 frame and do the conversion? I know the s-10 seems to be the more cost effective way (I can get one complete for $400) but then I have to also deal with making mounts, etc. Very long winters here in Michigan so I have time to plan, buy, and build. I was leaning towards keeping the original frame as again it is all in great shape. Welcome everyone's thoughts on this one and the plus and minus of each. I figured there is a heck of a lot more experience out there than me so would love to hear. Thanks.
Attached Images

J48chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
rollinrooster

Re: Original or S-10 swap?

If your factory frame is in good shape I would probably use it. What are your plans for the truck (air ride, etc,) I went with an S-10 because my factory frame was in bad shape. Good luck with the build and keep us posted.
rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 PM   #3
J48chevy

No air ride. Going to be a somewhat low budget build, nothing too fancy. If I keep the original frame just want to update rear, frontend, and probably drop the stance about 3-4 inches. My goal is to make it a fun cruiser.
J48chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
rollinrooster

That's what I said a few years ago still working on this thing.
rollinrooster is offline   Reply With Quote