The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
tdmuskie

New 1971 Project

I've bought a 1971 blazer that was sitting in the woods for 30 years. Hate to see an old classic sit.
It needs a full restore, but my question is has anyone purchased and used a complete floor pan assembly to replace the floor? If so what issues did you run into? Is the one through LMC better than others?
tdmuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: New 1971 Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmuskie View Post
I've bought a 1971 blazer that was sitting in the woods for 30 years. Hate to see an old classic sit.
It needs a full restore, but my question is has anyone purchased and used a complete floor pan assembly to replace the floor? If so what issues did you run into? Is the one through LMC better than others?
Yes, i has been done sucessfully, lenght is the issue at the rear of pan, as well as the 90 degree flange that has to be bent

JMHO, but i think it would be easier to install if you bought it w/o the seat brace

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
tdmuskie

Thanks. Nobody makes a tub for blazers/jimmys? That would be an easier route but I can't find one.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #4
jaros44sr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmuskie View Post
Thanks. Nobody makes a tub for blazers/jimmys? That would be an easier route but I can't find one.
Nope, you could search the drier areas for rust free tub, but that is a hit or miss solution.
Post up some pics....
If it was easy, everyone would have a beautiful blazer/jimmy. I think the fastest way to solve your problem is to install a floor, if you have the tools and skills, and a 5 gallon pail of sticktoitiveness

Good luck on your venture, hope to see a build thread

Welcome to the boards, you wont find a better group of guys ready to help you out with pointers

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #5
tdmuskie

thanks again. I'm looking forward to this project. I've had 2 1969 camaro's, but there is something about old classic 4wd trucks that catch my eye at a car show.

Here are some pics of it in the woods and after I cleaned it up. We fired it up and drove it out of the woods after sitting almost 30 years. The outside is very rusty and gone but the frame and most of the inside and the windshield frame is perfect. I'm only the second owner of this rig.
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
jaros44sr

Yep, thats a good one, got any pics of the rusty areas
Hows your tool selection?

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
tdmuskie

Here are a couple pics of the bad areas. My tool selection is very good and I have an uncle that has been in the auto body business for the past 45 years.

Here's the best part of this, I only purchased this for $50
I have also purchased some parts from a local guy parting out a chevy truck (front fenders, doors, radiator support, and a full long box that I have a lead on a guy that will trade me a short box)
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
jaros44sr

Yep, its doable.....great to have an uncle to help you out in a jam, id go for it

Bedsides are now available, so that solves that problem, looks like you have some sag at the rear of the door to lower body line, soooo, i would get that area jacked up to where it belongs

Keep us posted w/lots of pics, keeps me entertained

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim
Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
tdmuskie

Actually the door was open when we were backing it out of the woods and it got tweeked a bit. The door won't shut and is hanging, but I have a new door already so no problem there.

Big project but the price was right.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Guana

Love it when the radio hole has not been destroyed, good luck on the project.....
Guana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
tdmuskie

Another question? Has anyone used long box side and cut out the portions needed to fix the blazer rear panels?
I've done some research and know that short box side are 6" longer in front of the wheel and obviously long box sides are longer in the front and rear.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #12
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Do a search. There is a write-up on how to cut down a pickup bed side. If I recall correctly, it was either done by MTBlazer or YukonJack several years back.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM   #13
David623

I bought a cab floor from LMC it did have all the braces. I determined where to cut the floor based on body mounts and some great pictures from this web site. Bending that flange that mates to the (knee wall) just allow 3 inches to bend up 90 degrees and slot it where the brakes are in the floor. I also bought the first quarter panels made for the Jimmy/Blazer body. Minor issues but they seem to fit very good.
David623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
Chulisohombre

For fifty bucks even you if you rebuild it enough to drive it its worth it. It would take a ton of time and money to get it perfect. I hope you have both. Good luck and a lot of guys on here have done a lot of what they one needs.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
tdmuskie

Thanks, for $50 it was worth grabbing. I plan on making it nice but not perfect by any means. Hopefully keeping around a $5,000 budget. I want a fun summer rig that I'm not afraid to take it out and have some fun in it.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #16
Chulisohombre

Yeah pretty much what I did. I never thought I'd get mine perfect. That would be at least another ten grand. I bought mine for 2 grand and hot about another 4-5 in it. Runs good and now looks good too. Not perfect but a fun summertime driver to enjoy. And if I go off road I'm not scared to Have some fun in it.
72 3/4 ton blazer. 5 inch lift on 35 inch tires. 355 corvette engine with crane roller rockers, rv cam, edelbrock carb and intake with one inch spacer. Thrush Headers with flowmaster 40 duels. 4speed sm465 manual. 4 wheel disk brakes with Inboarded rear shock prerunner style mounts and shocks.
Chulisohombre is offline   Reply With Quote