The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
bowtieguy79
Ephesians 2:8

Prepping for the Power Tour

Well now comes the time of year I get all worked up in thinking about going on Power Tour. Its just 6 short months away and I have mods I need to get done, as I've been lazy on the C10 for past 2 years. I long hauled it in 2010 and 4 legs in 2011, 2012 I drove the Blazer on a couple of legs and Long Hauled last year in the Blazer as well. So the C10 has gotten no love and only driven ONE TIME last year......

So my wants are:

AC - since I installed the LS I have not even thought about AC, I installed the LS in 2007/08 winter, so its been a while, and way overdue. Looking at how to install the factory compressor vs going with the KWIK bracket and Sanden.

Audio - I'd like to do something like I did in my Blazer, an Ipod/ Ipad based system with a factory Radio in the dash for local FM etc. I have collected some items I plan to install ( kick panel mounts and component speakers )

Rear Axle - Biggest reason for not driving it so much is in 2011 I had to do a road side axle bearing swap on a freshly installed Junk Yard axle.... ya I know rookie mistake.... It was making noise by the time I got back home from Detroit... So I am swapping to a 14bolt SF 6 lug axle from a 88-98 truck ( only 1.5" wider than original axle), and do the 6 lug rotors up front. I really want to run 6 lug wheels.

Wheels - This is where some opinions would help. I have a set of 6 Lug Blazer rallies, 2 are only 7" wide?? kinda odd, and 2 are the normal 8" wide like what I run on my Blazer. I have thought of painting those white, running no trim ring with NNBS chrome work truck centers. I have recently toyed with the possibility of running some NNBS take off wheels as well ( I know spacers needed up front... )

Seats - I've begged borrowed and stolen seats from other trucks trying to get that perfect fit, and its just not working out. Currently have the seat from my 94 K1500 in it, bench with fold down armrest. I have been thinking about possibly using a 99-current Jump Seat and a pair of Car Buckets from something at the pick a part. I've done searches and not seen much that has really looked good/correct, except for low back buckets and a factory looking console.

For Reference, here she is!
bowtieguy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: Prepping for the Power Tour

See you on the tour.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:21 PM   #3
bowtieguy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
See you on the tour.
You long hauling? or part? Be glad to have you join us for the routes. We have quite the crew this year
Old 01-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
smashingchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy79 View Post
You long hauling? or part? Be glad to have you join us for the routes. We have quite the crew this year
Just part. I'll probably jump in at the Indiana stop (since its like half an hour from my house) and finish it out. We'll see. This will be my first one. Do you have any tips?

I still need to make arrangements...

4Runner Build
Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
bowtieguy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingchuck View Post
Just part. I'll probably jump in at the Indiana stop (since its like half an hour from my house) and finish it out. We'll see. This will be my first one. Do you have any tips?

I still need to make arrangements...
I would say that even if you are only doing 3 days, it would be to your advantage to sign up early as a Long Hauler. You will only have to go to Registration once and from then on when you get to the venue you just drive right in. Take a 10 by 10 tent, and plenty of beverages in a cooler, they sell beer, soda, water etc but its stadium pricing... Each vehicles registered gets 2 ( driver and passenger )credentials that will net you free swag from Vendors, some will only be handing out to true " Long Haulers " but come friday if there are left overs they don't want to pack up, they get generous.

Its a blast, no matter what Hotel you stay at, it will be filled with Hot Rods, and shenaigans
Old 01-09-2014, 07:30 PM   #6
smashingchuck

Quote:
I would say that even if you are only doing 3 days, it would be to your advantage to sign up early as a Long Hauler. You will only have to go to Registration once and from then on when you get to the venue you just drive right in. Take a 10 by 10 tent, and plenty of beverages in a cooler, they sell beer, soda, water etc but its stadium pricing... Each vehicles registered gets 2 ( driver and passenger )credentials that will net you free swag from Vendors, some will only be handing out to true " Long Haulers " but come friday if there are left overs they don't want to pack up, they get generous.

Its a blast, no matter what Hotel you stay at, it will be filled with Hot Rods, and shenaigans
Sweet. I pre-registered, I'm down for the shenanigans!

Just gotta find a place to stay for Iowa and Indiana....

4Runner Build
Old 01-09-2014, 08:38 PM   #7
bluex

I'm hoping to do the Charlotte to Knoxville leg, that is all I could get off for at work...
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #8
87 STEPPER
STILL PLAYS WITH TRUX

Thumbs up Re: Prepping for the Power Tour

Me n my girl r thinkin about goin we went to Charloett for the fanale last summer but we may only go as far as Norwalk then spend some time at Cedar point. she will be n her SSR n Im gonna that the Corvair Rampside.

MY 87 STEPPER

MY 99 2D/WD TAHOE
87 STEPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #9
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

For your AC, if you haven't already, check out these brackets Holley came out with. They actually seem to be priced reasonably and are a good way to mount an AC compressor on an LS series engine on our trucks:

http://www.holley.com/types/LS%20Swa...y%20Drives.asp
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #10
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

you can buy shaft style radios that have bluetooth and usb for about 250 bucks custom auto sound and retrosound both offer this. would look just like oem.
nekkidhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
bowtieguy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGracho View Post
For your AC, if you haven't already, check out these brackets Holley came out with. They actually seem to be priced reasonably and are a good way to mount an AC compressor on an LS series engine on our trucks:

http://www.holley.com/types/LS%20Swa...y%20Drives.asp
That nearly looks like the Alt/PS bracket! I am digging that idea! Thanks for sharing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
you can buy shaft style radios that have bluetooth and usb for about 250 bucks custom auto sound and retrosound both offer this. would look just like oem.
Thanks but I've never been a fan of the fit and finish on these, to me looks sparkomatic-ish.. Nothing beats the looks of the OE for originality IMO.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #12
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

http://www.retrosoundusa.com/products/category/id/14

have you seen these latley they are as quality as most pioneers/kenwoods. you could just hook the ipod directly in the amp but im not a fan of that. another option is the add on bluetooths http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...-free-car-kits. they mount in between your oem radio so all you would have to do is kick it on and off. kinda high dollar though. as for seats check out the post i made be studying hard on what i can use.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:32 AM   #13
bowtieguy79

Yes, when you mentioned this before, the retro sound was what came to mind. Ya they are nice but just don't care for the look of them, personal preference I guess.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=515192

This is what I did in my Blazer, I used a volume knob inline on the RCA's to fine tune audio.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:53 PM   #14
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

well you best option then would be the stock one with added in bluetooth or 3.5 input. there are ways you can hard hook up a input so it could be controlled through your oem volume knob. ill see what i can dig up for you.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:01 PM   #15
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=45

this works nice and is cheap. it uses fm mod but it doesnt sound bad i had one in my wifes contour to use sat radio. you can also do this for next to nothing if you have very little knowledge of electronics. http://hackaday.com/2010/12/08/vinta...ets-mp3-input/
Old 01-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #16
bowtieguy79

Quote:
http://pac-audio.com/productDetails....&CategoryID=45

this works nice and is cheap. it uses fm mod but it doesnt sound bad i had one in my wifes contour to use sat radio. you can also do this for next to nothing if you have very little knowledge of electronics. http://hackaday.com/2010/12/08/vinta...ets-mp3-input/
I used one of those FM inline units in my old 04 Lesabre and in my Parents 03 Lesabre, really good quality to be honest.

I ordered some T10 blue LED's for the dash lights last night on ebay, we'll see how good they are... $5.99 shipped
Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 PM   #17
bowtieguy79

found this last night while surfing http://www.kicker.com/pxi502
Old 01-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #18
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

The wife and I did the Long Haul in 2010, but we have missed the others since then. Once again, the work load is going to keep me at home for this one, too.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #19
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
found this last night while surfing http://www.kicker.com/pxi502
pretty nice wish it did usb too. id rather have one of the parrot bt units i think though same price and can use bt phone and other devices for the same money. i think they can use a remote and usb even.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:29 PM   #20
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/b...-free-car-kits

same money really and can use usb sd ect plus has hands free phone.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #21
bowtieguy79

Quote:
pretty nice wish it did usb too. id rather have one of the parrot bt units i think though same price and can use bt phone and other devices for the same money. i think they can use a remote and usb even.
I'm leaning towards no real head unit at all. Kicker is looking like my ticket.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 PM   #22
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

you dont need a head unit with the parrot thing either is what im saying they do the same thing but it has more features.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM   #23
bowtieguy79

do you have a better example other than the general link you shared, I go there and it is a listing of their product offerings. I didn't spend a lot of time on the site.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 PM   #24
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

PARROT MKi9200 this model read up about it. has built in amp doesnt need a head unit. no am fm though but neither does the kicker unit. however you can keep your oem hu and use this too.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #25
nekkidhillbilly
Account Suspended

http://community.crutchfield.com/car...h-no-head-unit

theres info about no head unit set up