The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
familyfast64

Red face lokar, ugghh

Hey guys, just thought I'd let everyone know I found a cool place locally called bowtie bits. They sell all old Chevy and gmc truck stuff. Real cheap too. I picked up some rain guards(for smoking) and sill trim pieces(rocker trim) also door bumpers all for like 50 bucks. Chrome and stainless stuff so I was happy.
Along with that I ordered lokars floor mount competition throttle assembly and the trick flow bracket to hook up the throttle cable, tv cable and return spring. All this cause I have the old Chevy throttle pedal with a throttle rod type linkage that interferes with the tv cable bracket so it's currently not hooked up. Well, the lokar pedal assembly obviously wasnt designed to set on thick carpet with sound deadener. The hardware required me to cut out the carpet, which leaves my pedal below the carpet level and it looks like sh!t. so I had to order the spacer that they obviously know you need but don't include in the 160$ kit. I'm waiting for it to come in...
Has anyone went this route? How did y'all go about ridding our trucks of there ancient throttle pedal assembly?
Attached Images

Old 01-09-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Snailed

Re: lokar, ugghh

For the Lokar throttles I have machined a spacer out of 3/8" aluminum and have also made a small stand-off that is welded to the floor on another project. I've found it's not necessary on most vehicles so I'm sure that's why they don't include a spacer. Lokars other style, where the cable comes inside the cab, may work also and the mounting is more flexible and easier to shim if needed.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 AM   #3
familyfast64

Yeah I thought the other style had the gold arm coming off the side and I didn't think that would work well but perhaps I chose the wrong one. I just thought the floor, mount would be perfect and clean. It'll work and I thought of making my own spacer but I'd only be able to do so with wood. I have no welder or billet stock. I guess I'm slacking. I just couldn't believe the machine screws they sent were only half in. And there supposed to go through the billet, through the carpet and it's backing, through the sound deadener, through the floor, and through the backing plate enough to be tightened with a nut. I'm just griping I know but come on. They will literally only work to attach to bare metal or possibly one layer of thin carpet. It's alright, I could have just gotten longer screws but this spacer will help me out and I'm really excited to hook up My tv cable properly. And it looks good I'll give them that. It will likely last forever so that's cool.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #4
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Here is what I did with mine. I fabbed my own spacer.
Attached Images

TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Leverhead

Ditto on the spacer. This on my '53. Used 3/4 alum drilled and tapped inside for the pedal, and outside to mount thru the firewall via buttonheads. Added a pedal stop too...I like both pedals to be level with each other.
Attached Images

Leverhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:01 PM   #6
cool68

we all learn something new when modifying stuff. gas pedals, etc are universal and most times need some other modification to make them work. for spacer material, do no need billet or a welder. many hardware stores sell steel pieces. or there should be a metal supply business around too. air cut off, hack saw, etc and clean up with grinder, file, etc.
cool68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
familyfast64

True that. I didn't see those style pedals tho. Only the floor, mount and the one I know they sell for the Chevy2 with the gold arm coming out the side. I think it mounts closer to the tunnel. I have the floor, mount which is a lil different. Those look good tho and I adhere I could have fabbed something prolly. Running to the store was not an option tho since it's so nasty out I couldn't talk myself into jumping on the rocket and my truck was torn apart. I just get annoyed really quick. Il get her figured out. I might have to take the bench out and actually pull the carpet, out and re set up everything ideally. Thanks for the pics guys. Sry I was complaining.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
Snailed

Yeah, those last two pictures are the other style I was refering to. It doesn't look as nice as the one you got Familyfast, but they are a bit more flexible I think. I'm sure you'll get your hooked up and working just as nice. At least you only have to do it once
Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfast64 View Post
True that. I didn't see those style pedals tho. Only the floor, mount and the one I know they sell for the Chevy2 with the gold arm coming out the side. I think it mounts closer to the tunnel. I have the floor, mount which is a lil different. Those look good tho and I adhere I could have fabbed something prolly. Running to the store was not an option tho since it's so nasty out I couldn't talk myself into jumping on the rocket and my truck was torn apart. I just get annoyed really quick. Il get her figured out. I might have to take the bench out and actually pull the carpet, out and re set up everything ideally. Thanks for the pics guys. Sry I was complaining.
No issues on complaining. lol! Know all to well how you feel. I ain't saying the price of mine.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #10
pimpston65

this may be off subject, but what is the radiator cap/exhaust flange looking thing near ur bellhousing? just curious
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:39 PM   #11
Leverhead

No complaining at all here Family....totally legitimate concerns. No reason the floor mount cant be shimmed up just like a firewall mount style....but try to get the pedals aligned comfortably for safety reasons. Got my foot caught UNDER the brake pedal once (with these aftermarket setups) when I needed it in a jiff.....it was a scary moment.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:18 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Have you been driving your truck without the TV cable hooked up? If so, that's not good......it'll probably be new tranny time soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyfast64 View Post
All this cause I have the old Chevy throttle pedal with a throttle rod type linkage that interferes with the tv cable bracket so it's currently not hooked up.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
familyfast64

Kickdown cable I meant. Captain.
Thanks for the support guys. I got her all buttoned up. I purchased the spacer but haven't installed it yet. The floor, mount is in there I just don't like how you have to cut carpet. Once the space is in it'll flush up better tho. The floor, mount pedal is nice cause it has idle stop, throttle stop, and both the lever and pedal pad can be adjusted. I need to lay my pedal down father cause it's almost standing straight up lol. I didn't realise how little it actually has to move to open the linkage full throttle. And I was concerned I would hit the floor early. The return springs on the throttle cable/kickdown cable bracket just barely touch the drop down air cleaner and aside from that and having to slightly file the bracket to clear the primary accelerator pump linkage, everything worked out good.

Hey, on the kickdown cable, taunt is what you want right? I noticed when pulling the cable by hand there is two levels of resistance.... Like it will pull to taunt, then pull with lil pressure and then pull with firm pressure... Lol does that make sense? I have all the slack pulled out so it's pulling the cable and like half throttle it pulls the cable into it's firmer area of pull. Idk I'm gonna drive it today and play with it but I succeeded after a whole bunch of cussing.

Lokar, if you read this why don't you make the four machine screws that hold the billet assembly to the floor either studs or those screws with square head that hold themselves still so ONE person can tighten it all down. It hell asking the wife to help. Even tho she's my best friend she doesn't do cold garage work. Thanks

P.s. I'll post pics later today.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
familyfast64

Dang it captain fab I can't believe I called it a tv cable. Especially after having bought the truck and making the mistake of believing it was a 700r4 and then finding out it was a later th350, having the different kickdown cable, and learning it was ok to be unhooked, I still called it that. My bad bud.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 PM   #15
Rich 5150 69

Pick up a GM throttle cable from the wreckers, they can be had for about five bucks thats pedal, bracket and cable, and get the TV bracket if your running auto as seen in Marks build, mine is still on the shelf untill I get time..
starts at post #110 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=444502&page=5
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #16
Leverhead

Family...something that helps me when one-person tightening.....if possible put a wrench (box or open end) on the blind side and use Gorilla tape on the other end of the wrench to hold it down....wedge it against something if possible. Works for me...it also helps to have clean threads.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #17
familyfast64

Thanks lever head, yeah I definitely did that for about an hour until I broke down and asked for help. It was an Allen wrench inside the car taped down(but only with duct tape) also it was wedged in there against the pedal and I was underneath with the wrench and or socket. The nuts had that locking rubber ring so once you tightened them to the ring it was pretty frustrating to tighten the test of the way. Even tho I've built many things, and learned of many tricks , sometimes the simplest things can become a nightmare for one guy. It's my fault tho for not having the wood burning stove hooked up and it being5 degrees. Only having my truck lifted ten inches from the ground too. I drove her a couple hundred miles yesterday tho and she did great, shifting later and no issues with placement so I'm happy.

I will make sure to have gorilla tape next time. I've never tried that stuff only the glue. I don't like how you have to wait for that to set up.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:09 PM   #18
Leverhead

Glad it all worked out...nice truck too!
Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 PM   #19
familyfast64

Thank you bud, I'm very fortunate to have her.